Queen of the Stars (The Royals of Adriel) by…

Queen of the Stars (The Royals of Adriel)

by Lorelei Orion

The premise of the story is good, but this tale didn't quite live up to its promise. There was far too much raw sex in the story that did little to further the plot, and nothing to add to the appeal of the story. The other drawback to this novel is that I found a lot of grammar and/or typographical errors throughout the story. I hope these were corrected before the novel was uploaded for distribution to the general public.

Toward the end, there were some really well thought-out plot twists that made the story almost 4 star quality. It may have even reached that level without the gratuitous sex. There are ways to imply that a sexual relationship between characters is happening without the blow-by-blow descriptions; there are also ways to include romance without resorting to unnecessary sexual description. IMO the less direct ways result in a better story.

Recommended only for readers who enjoy erotica in a science fictional environment.

I received a copy of this novel free from the author in exchange for this review. ( )
  1dragones | Apr 6, 2013 |
I won a review copy & it was a good one. It was well written & I really enjoyed it. ( )
  Crazy_Bunny_Lady | Oct 19, 2012 |
I really loved this book. It's full of action, romance and space travel. It was very easy to read, and the characters were very like able. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  Athenajewel | Aug 18, 2012 |
I loved it!!!!!!! Lorelei Orion, with her amazing talent, has managed to create an incredible world of adventure and romance that will have you on edge until the end. The main characters, Raine and Sarra,with their amazing wits,courage, and incredibly sexy passion are irresistible. They had me pinning for their survival and romance from start till finish. While reading the book my emotions became one with Sarra's; I was overjoyed when she was happy, and ready to cry along with her when she was devastated. Raine of course I loved from the moment he was mentioned in the book, you just can't help but love the guy even when he unintentionally hurts Sarra. As I said before I loved it.. and loved it... and loved it.. as will anyone that starts reading the book. I recommend this everyone and will be waiting for more books from the author. There are very few fiction books that influence people and provide so strong emotions after you read them, and Lorelei Orion has created one of them!!!
  DianaSakioti | Jun 1, 2012 |
Queen of the Stars is a science fiction romance. It takes place on the futuristic Earth colony of Adriel. Rebels abduct the Princess Royal Sarra Shantay, the heiress of King Ellis II. Raine Nicks is the rebel leader who plans to ransom Sarra for weapons. Unfortunately, the ransom plans go awry and Sarra and Raine find themselves fleeing across the galaxy and into romance.

I have read other books of this genre, and this is a familiar plot set-up: the beautiful woman of privilege abducted by the dashing rebel who turns out to be on the side of justice. And in many ways this novel does that plot well. The story moves quickly and eventfully and the settings are well developed. However, there were a few problems with the novel which kept me from completely enjoying the ride.

First, the novel would have been improved by a good proof reader. Catachrestic word usage was sprinkled throughout (Nicholas somehow caught his rational and didn’t lunge for her; their stances became even more imminent; Raine raised his weapon, sporting a war cry). There were many clunky and unfortunate metaphors as well (Alma’s logical words had blown away the last harvest of hope and had planted the seed of despair within her).

The writing style was not the only issue I had with this novel. The writer shows promise and with the help of a good editor could have a well crafted novel. But the use of the “forced seduction” trope made the novel uncomfortable to read. The young and virginal heroine falling in love with her abusive captor, even though he treats her horribly throughout most of the novel, I find old fashioned and offensive.

I think this author has some promise and I hope that future novels in this series use more progressive plot devices. ( )
  carod | May 30, 2012 |
Princess Royal Sarra Anna Shantay gazed down in awe of the majestic sunrise.

Lorelei Orion is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,765,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible