Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew…

Silver: Return to Treasure Island (edition 2012)

by Andrew Motion

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Silver: Return to Treasure Island
Authors:Andrew Motion
Info:Jonathan Cape (2012), Edition: First Edition - 1st Impression, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Silver: Return to Treasure Island by Andrew Motion

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
David Tenant's narration of this is very enjoyable, but even given the existence of the sequel, the ending seems very much like Motion couldn't figure out how to conclude this story. On top of that, I found Natty to be one of the more compelling characters, and we don't get to spend nearly as much time with her as I would expect. It is a great audiobook for when you're working or doing other things, because it's very verbose, so you can follow it even if you miss a few words here or there. ( )
  scarylullabies | May 9, 2019 |
Except it wasn't ok. This is pretty tedious. I never like being told what to make of a character's actions. For a hundred and fifty pages Jim Hawkins (junior) tells us things like 'she looked at the ground so I thought she must be sad' and 'I am older now but that was how I saw it'. Probably the original Treasure Island is written in the same way - but my memory is that the original allows the reader to see past the narrator's youthful narrative and see the other characters through that prism. The remainder 250 pages continue much the same but with more predictable action, more stereotypes, and less mystery. I had to skip through to the end so I count it as abandoned. And even so the final page was a letdown. [downgraded to one star after reading some other reviews :)] ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This book had a lot of potential. The characters of Treasure Island have so much potential. Everyone loves a pirate story. Swashbuckling. Learning new (sometimes illegal) skills. Treasure. Sword fights. Maybe even some romance. This book tried. Really. It had exciting characters. It had girls posing as boys. It had marooned pirates and escaped slaves. It even had treasure. But it never really took off. It seemed like Motion was more concerned about neat turns of phrase and description than getting the story off the ground.

Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver are old men. But they have teenaged kids. Natty, Silver's daughter convinces Jim, Hawkin's son, to voyage to Treasure Island to recover the rest of the silver left there by the original party. They have a fairly uneventful journey there, but find the island under the control of the nasty marooned pirates from the original story. The plot limps along with abolitionist and feminist tirades thrown in. "Not all history people are bad!" writes the 21st century author. I'm not sure why that had to be a part of it. Why not just make Natty a strong young woman and show the plight of the slaves without having young main character narrator comment explicitly on everything?

Anyway, I finished the book because David Tennant read it to me. I was happy with the narration, but the text itself was disappointing. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
A sequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island? Really? When I saw this on the shelf at my local library, I thought it takes a pretty competent and gutsy writer to try that. Well, why not? I picked it up, took it home, and read it over the course of the last few evenings. This is what I thought about it.
I won’t try to compare this novel to Treasure Island. It’s been years since I’ve read Stevenson’s classic adventure tale of pirates and buried treasure. This is perhaps just as well since this novel stands on its own, albeit with settings and minor characters from Treasure Island. It takes place about forty years after that book ends. Jim Hawkins, the son of the original Jim Hawkins, is the first person narrator. Natty, the daughter of Long John Silver, is his companion and the instigator of their adventure together. Their goal is to return to Treasure Island and recover the remaining treasure -- a large number of silver bars.
I loved the prose from the beginning. It definitely has a quality and style you see too seldom in recent writing. It did not try to ‘grab’ be at the beginning. It did not try to shock me or entice me with ‘action.’ (I normally hate openings like that.) It invited me in, the narrator almost seeming like a bashful host for the story he was to tell. In my opinion, the prose style alone makes this book worth reading.
In other ways, though, I found the novel less satisfying. The plot tends to drag in places, with no mysteries or answers being discovered, just bits of well-executed prose marking the passage of time and reflecting. I also did not find the characters overly interesting. Jim, as the average young man grown bored by his father’s retellings of his adventures, just did not ring true to me. He seems too subservient and has too little longing for his own adventures to be interesting until Natty shows up. After that, he mainly follows her lead. Although it would be historically unlikely, I think this story may have been better told from Natty’s point of view rather than from Jim’s. She is the far stronger and more interesting of the two main characters. I would not object to this lack of fidelity to historic sensibilities because this is not a story told by a Victorian writer for a Victorian reader. It is a modern story for a modern audience.
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I recommend it to fans of the original Treasure Island and to anyone looking for a well-written new novel that is out of the ordinary.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
When I was young, I spent many hours with my books (not that I don't now too, mind you). I still vividly remember reading Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and thrilling to all the adventure and swashbuckling in it. I even bought the tiny library by our cottage a copy because they didn't have their own on the shelves, having to order it from the main branch 45 minutes away. And perhaps it's the book that inspired the lifelong fascination with pirates for staid little me. So just imagine my delight when I found that Andrew Motion had written a sequel to Treasure Island, one where Jim Hawkins' son, also named Jim Hawkins, and Long John Silver's daughter Natty return to Treasure Island to retrieve the silver that their fathers left there in favor of the gold they brought home.

Forty years after their voyage to Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins runs an inn called the Hispaniola in the lonely marshes of the Thames. He rather plods through life, mourning the early death of his wife and telling his tale of glory again and again of a rum soaked evening. Long John Silver is blind, ravaged, and invalid in his odd, higgledy-piggledy house and taproom but still controlling and somehow, even in his aged state, capable of inspiring fear and loyalty in equal measure. The canny old pirate sends his daughter Natty to beckon to young Jim Hawkins, the son of the original Jim, and to entice him to steal the map of Treasure Island from his father with an eye to sailing back to that distant island. And young Jim, feeling an immediate pull to Natty and despite his misgivings about the old pirate, agrees.

So the two young people set out on a long voyage on the Nightingale, a ship financed by Long John Silver, captained by a benevolent, moral, old salt, and with Natty disguised as a boy. As they sail, they find the dangerous, malevolent, and unhinged nephew of one of the original pirates working in the crew on their ship casting a blight on their journey and they must prepare themselves for whatever they might encounter when they arrive at Treasure Island, knowing that their fathers had marooned three men there when they left. And when they finally arrive, they do find that it is not a deserted island as might be expected but populated by a pure evil. This evil changes the tenor of their plans entirely.

Although using the original as a starting point and being beautifully written, easily evoking the language of Stevenson, this is a much less enchanting novel. The characters are firmly good or bad with only Long John Silver retaining any air of ambiguity and reality, but of course he is only seen at the start. Natty and Jim might be intrepid adventurers but they aren't as engaging as their fathers were. The situation on Treasure Island is unexpected (really, the maroons are still alive?) and quite honestly, rather unrealistic and unbelievable, as is the attitude of the Captain, his men, and Natty and Jim given the time period in which they live. There are other occurrences on the island that also beggar belief as well but the climactic fight scene is thrilling and as desperate as any reader could want. The ending of the novel, however, is wholly unsatisfying and feels like a complete cop-out. I so wanted to love this novel that perhaps my expectations were too high. Unfortunately the thing came off as moralistic and far less inspired than the original and I don't know that those unfamiliar with the original would be able to follow it at all. ( )
  whitreidtan | Jan 31, 2014 |

Andrew Motionprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) sequel to

For Oscar Fearnley-Derome.
In those days I did my father's bidding.

A rip-roaring sequel to Treasure Island—Robert Louis Stevenson’s beloved classic—about two young friends and their high-seas adventure with dangerous pirates and long-lost treasure.

It's almost forty years after the events of Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island:  Jim Hawkins now runs an inn called the Hispaniola on the English coast with his son, Jim, and Long John Silver has returned to England to live in obscurity with his daughter, Natty. Their lives are quiet and unremarkable; their adventures have seemingly ended.
      But for Jim and Natty, the adventure is just beginning. One night, Natty approaches young Jim with a proposition: return to Treasure Island and find the remaining treasure that their fathers left behind so many years before. As Jim and Natty set sail in their fathers' footsteps, they quickly learn that this journey will not be easy.  Immediately, they come up against murderous pirates, long-held grudges, and greed and deception lurking in every corner. And when they arrive on Treasure Island, they find terrible scenes awaiting them—difficulties which require all their wit as well as their courage.  Nor does the adventure end there, since they have to sail homeward again...
      Andrew Motion’s sequel—rollicking, heartfelt, and utterly brilliant—would make Robert Louis Stevenson proud.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

"July, 1802. In the marshy eastern reaches of the Thames lies the Hispaniola, an inn kept by Jim Hawkins and his son. Young Jim spends his days roaming the mist-shrouded estuaries, running errands for his father and listening to his stories in the taproom; tales of adventures on the high seas, of curses, murder and revenge, black spots and buried treasure - and of a man with a wooden leg. Late one night, a mysterious girl named Natty arrives on the river with a request for Jim from her father - Long John Silver. Aged and weak, but still possessing a strange power, the pirate proposes that Jim and Natty sail to Treasure Island in search of Captain Flint's hidden bounty, the 'beautiful bar silver' left behind many years before. Silver has chartered a ship and a hardy crew for this purpose, whose captain is waiting only for the map, now locked away at the Hispaniola. Making haste from London, Jim and Natty set off in the footsteps of their fathers, their tentative friendship growing stronger day by day. But the thrill of the ocean odyssey gives way to terror as the Nightingale reaches its destination, for it seems that Treasure Island is not as uninhabited as it once was." -- BOOK JACKET… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,108,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible