Star Wars: Dark Empire by Tom Veitch

Star Wars: Dark Empire (original 1993; edition 1993)

by Tom Veitch, Cam Kennedy

Six years after the battle of Endor, the fight for freedom rages on. Han Solo and Princess Leia, now married, struggle to protect their twin children from danger. Darth Vader is dead, but a reborn Empire strikes back against the Rebel Alliance, and the Rebels discover that their greatest foe may be their closest friend: Luke Skywalker!… (more)
Member:sullijo
Title:Star Wars: Dark Empire
Authors:Tom Veitch
Other authors:Cam Kennedy
Info:Dark Horse (1993), Paperback, 184 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:@home, science fiction, fiction, Star Wars, graphic novel, New Republic Era, Star Wars Legends

Star Wars: Dark Empire by Tom Veitch (1993)

I've not read much of the expanded universe, admittedly. I listened to this in Audiobook format and the voice acting was pretty much the only redeeming quality of the story - even had Billy Dee Williams as Lando! I thought the overall story was pretty weak - no real explanation of why Luke would be tempted by the Dark Side. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Nov 2, 2015 |
The comic that launched a new generation of Star Wars comic books. The story is good and so is the art. It's just that feeling of Star Wars that makes this a good comic to read. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | May 22, 2015 |
I remember really enjoying this story when I first read it, of course that was years ago and I think it was the first Expanded Universe story I ever read. Reading it now after finishing Timothy Zahn's fantastic trilogy, it falls a bit flat. The back cover says it is now six years after Return of the Jedi, but didn't the Thrawn trilogy run that long? And the events of Zahn's series, even though Veitch claims in the introduction to have communicated with Zahn to get details right, feels like it's been almost wholly neglected. Where's Mara? Luke seems to have already forgotten any lessons he learned dealing with Joruus C'baoth. This book feels like it wanted so much to be the one and only sequel to Jedi, and it just doesn't do enough to make that claim. And the Emperor's sudden return as series of clones is 1) way too much deus ex machina and 2) far too surprising to Luke after he, again, JUST dealt with Joruus C'baoth (a clone), Thrawn's thousands upon thousands of cloned troopers, AND a clone of himself!

This whole book feels like Veitch wanting to take things in his own direction and just neglecting the work that Zahn has already put in, and that infuriates me. Still enjoyable, but way too many problems after reading what came before. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 13, 2013 |
Graphic novels are not my thing. I felt like the story was so simplified that it was hard to enjoy it. But it did fill in some storyline details. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 4, 2010 |

Tom Veitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kennedy, CamIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,347,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible