The Voice (2012)

by Anne Bishop

Series: The Ephemera Series (2.9)

In a small village outside the city of Vision, the people know no sorrow or grief. But this seemingly idyllic community is hiding a terrible secret. As a young child, Nalah did not know why she was told to bring a cake to the mute girl known as the Voice whenever she was upset, only that doing so made her feel better. Now grown, Nalah understands the dark truth, and yearns to escape from the oppressive village that has been her life-long home. But it is only after visiting the city of Vision and discovering the Temple of Sorrow that Nalah understands what she must do to be free ... THE VOICE novella includes a letter from the author and a special preview chapter from the latest novel set in the world of Ephemera, Bridge of Dreams (available April 2012).… (more)
2012 (1) 2013 (1) 2017 (1) 2018 (1) alternate world (1) Anne Bishop (2) audiobook (1) B&N (1) Carl (1) ebook (4) ephemera (2) ephemera series (2) fantastique (1) fantasy (19) fiction (4) goodreads (1) horror (1) incubus (1) Kindle (2) magic (1) novella (4) ontsnapping (1) own (1) read (2) series (4) sorrow (1) speculative fiction (1) to-read (12) vision (1) voice (1)

This isn't a pretty story, it speaks of a girl who discovers someone is being abused and finding a way to save those she can. There is sexual abuse in this story for those who are sensitive to those things.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Essentially a coming of age story in very short form. Set in the Ephemera universe. Typical of Bishop's work -- the treatment of women by men, strong female characters, etc. There's just enough here to either draw you into her other Ephemera books or remind you of the books. ( )
  lesmel | Apr 3, 2015 |
This is an e-special novella that’s a prequel to Bridge of Dreams, I got it for $2.99 on my Kobo and I was very happy with the price. I have to say, that after reading this novella I want to read Bridge of Dreams even more, especially since there was an excerpt from the that book at the end of the novella.
As per usual the story was well done, I love Anne Bishop’s writing, she’s so talented; I will always read her books, and I’m always willing to dive back into the world of Ephemera or The Black Jewels. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Whenever someone is having a rough day, feels sorrow, or is upset, they bake a cake and bring it to the mute orphan girl called "the Voice." As a child, Nalah follows the villagers lead and bakes cakes for the Voice. As she grows older she begins to question this practice, wondering what affect it is having on the Voice.

I typically avoid novellas and short stories, but Anne Bishop is my favorite author, so I couldn't resist. I wasn't disappointed. I love her unique story telling flair and the emotion she puts into her characters. I think this novella works well as a stand-alone story. You do not have to read the Sebastian books to enjoy this novella. Overall, I highly recommend this (and anything else Anne Bishop has written.) ( )
  JanaRose1 | May 18, 2012 |
An interesting novella about one of those other places in Ephemera, where the village "Voice" is the one responsible for swallowing (literally) all the sorrows of the people. It ends as a quick coming-of-age story for Nalah and really reflects the way Ephemera tries to get people where they need to be. I almost want it to be longer, just to get more of Nalah's life after...well, I won't spoil it. ( )
  VivalaErin | Mar 23, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,616,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible