A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe:…

A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems (Penguin… (edition 2006)

by Fernando Pessoa, Richard Zenith (Editor)

Member:Katzeneurotic
Title:A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Fernando Pessoa
Other authors:Richard Zenith (Editor)
Info:Penguin Classics (2006), Edition: Tra, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

A Little Larger than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems by Fernando Pessoa

This book has been a stunning revelation for me. A poet who speaks directly into my soul, of whom I had known nothing up until a month ago.

There is the humor and poingancy when Fernando Pessoa writing as Alberto Caeiro in # 7 "... saw Jesus Christ come down to earth ... as a child again." And Poem 9 states "I'm a keeper of sheep." And we discover a simpilicty in life.

In the part where the poems are under the aegis of the title and author of the book, we have an exquisite poem on dreams, "Between my sleepiing and dreaming". I read this poem at a dreams conference and people were amazed at how he caught the journey of the dream life.

Writing as Àlvaro de Campos, he has this "I got of the train/ Amd said good-bye to the man I'd met." We get the feel of how it really is to take a long train trip and how are mind wanders over thoughts, lost images that come back, but in a meandering kind of way.

And there is a Magnificat, a play on words. A poem about his soul, not Mary's soul. Prehaps looking forward to his death.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote vpfluke | Aug 14, 2009 |
A Little Larger than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems contains a discrete selection of Fernando Pessoa's poetry, and differs substantially from other anthologies of his writings. Please distinguish among the various editions available, and ensure that any other title includes substantially the same selection before combining it with this LT Work. Thank you.

Writing obsessively in French, English, and Portuguese, Fernando Pessoa left a prodigious body of work, much of it under "heteronyms"—fully fleshed alter egos with startlingly different styles and points of view. Offering a unique sampling of all his most famous voices, this collection features poems that have never before been translated alongside many originally composed in English. In addition to such major works as "Maritime Ode of Campos" and his Goethe-inspired Faust, written in blank verse, there are several stunning poems that have only come to light in the last five years. Selected and translated by leading Pessoa scholar Richard Zenith, this is the finest introduction available to the breadth of Pessoa’s genius.

The translations are based on the most authoritative editions, verified against the original manuscripts
Includes an Introduction discussing Pessoa, his work, and the phenomenon of "heteronymy" as well as a chronology

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:23 -0400)

Writing obsessively in French, English, and Portuguese, poet Fernando Pessoa left a prodigious body of work, much of it credited to "heteronyms"--alter egos with startlingly different styles, points of view, and biographies. Offering a unique sampling of his famous voices, this collection features Pessoa's major, best known works and several stunning poems that have only come to light in this century, including his long, highly autobiographical swan song.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible