The Witch of Hissing Hill Weekly Reader Book…

The Witch of Hissing Hill Weekly Reader Book Club edition (edition 1964)

by Mary Calhoun, Janet McCaffery (Illustrator)

Member:agbram
Title:The Witch of Hissing Hill Weekly Reader Book Club edition
Authors:Mary Calhoun
Other authors:Janet McCaffery (Illustrator)
Info:William Morrow & Co (1964), Edition: Weekly Reader Book Club ed, Unknown Binding
Tags:Children's Book, Fiction,

The Witch of Hissing Hill by Mary Calhoun

A little long-winded, esp. for group story-time I think. And it's really more about the cats, imo, than about the witch. Perfect for those sensitive children, ages maybe 4-8, who don't feel as happy about Halloween as their peers.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Sizzle was a witch with a reputation for raising outstanding witch cats: they knew how to spit and scratch and slink with the best of them, how to yowl, and (most importantly) how to stare unblinkingly at a bubbling pot, thereby ensuring the success of the potion in brew. Witches came to Hissing Hill from all over, sure of finding the sort of cats they needed. And then one day, a little yellow kitten named Gold was born - a true disgrace to her clowder of black cats. Was this the end of Sizzle's famous cat-breeding? Would her cats now be (horrors!) nice!?!

I enjoyed The Witch of Hissing Hill - the second witchy (and catty!) picture-book from Mary Calhoun that I have read, following upon Wobble, the Witch Cat - although I do become a little impatient with stories that confirm the "evil" nature of black cats, even in fun. (Full disclosure: I have an almost completely black cat, who is a darling). I can't say the illustrations by Janet McCaffery, which have a distinctly vintage feel to them, were really to my taste, but they are certainly vivid! Long out-of-print, and probably only available through the library, this is one Halloween tale I would recommend primarily to those, like myself, specifically looking for older holiday titles. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 26, 2013 |

Mary Calhounprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCaffery, JanetIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Who doesn't love a black cat? Or at least the idea of one. Mystery. Halloween. Bad luck. Witches. Swizzle is a witch who raises cats. But not just any cats... Her cats were the witchiest, the wickedest, the very worst, wonderful witch cats in the world. That is until one of her black cats has a yellow kitten, and a wicked old witch turns into a loving and good one. Every child has had an occasion in their life where they have felt different. The ability of one gold cat in a sea of black cats is able to change the outlook of everyone she lives with. If only real life were as adaptable to change. This is a fun book which also delivers a very gentle message. Mary Calhoun's (b. 1926) first children's book, "Making the Mississippi Shout", was published in 1957. Since then, she has become the award-winning author of more than fifty children's books including (in addition to The Witch of Hissing Hill), A Shepherd's Gift, Flood, Cross-Country Cat, Hot-Air Henry, and other books about Henry.

After one of her black cats has a yellow kitten, a wicked old witch turns into a loving and good one.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,176,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible