The Unwritten Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the…

The Unwritten Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

Member:Alendor
Title:The Unwritten Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2012), Udgave: First Edition, Paperback, 240 pages
Tags:Vertigo, metalitteratur, tegneserier, amerikansk

The Unwritten Vol. 6: Tommy Taylor and the War of Words by Mike Carey

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
In this one, myths and history are entwined; the sheer amount and scope of information is impressive. We get to know more about: the original story of Pullman, Rausch and Wilson - the role of the cabal and the Leviathan - and Tom’s power.

It’s thrilling and addictive yet we still need to know more about Tom’s role in all of this. ( )
  electrice | May 20, 2014 |
Summary: In Volume 6, Tom Taylor, the son of the author Wilson Taylor (the creator of the Tommy Taylor series of children's books about a boy wizard) is finally embracing his power. Whether it actually is his power, or something given to him by his father, or something else entirely, Tom starts using the magic from the Tommy Taylor books - and he's going to use it to bring the fight right to the doorstep of the shadowy Cabal that's been pursing his father - and him - across the decades. In alternating chapters, we get scenes from Wilson's diary, explaining what he knows about the history of the Cabal.

Review: Volume 6 was as fine of a piece of fiction as I have read in a very long time. There is a lot going on in The Unwritten, enough that I usually have trouble remembering all the details from previous volumes when I pick up the next one. I was particularly afraid that was going to be a problem in this case, seeing that it's been almost two years since I read Volume 5. But either I remember more than I thought I did, or this book does an excellent job of reminding me, because all of the various story threads all come together so incredibly satisfactorily. The historical chapters from Wilson's journals were particularly a highlight - they're good stories in their own right, and they add to the story as a whole, and by the end, I finally - finally - felt like I had a handle on what was going on in the Unwritten universe… and the big picture is crazy and awesome and imaginative and a little bit mind-blowing, and with something important to say about how the world works. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Recommendation: If you like stories about stories, and about the power of stories - Neil Gaiman comes to mind, but also things like Fables - you should be reading The Unwritten. Immediately. ( )
  fyrefly98 | Apr 17, 2014 |
Enough with the prelude: Tom finally jumps into action against the still-shadowy bad guys. He uses the powers he's been slowly learning and his one-man army goes against pretty much everyone who stands in his way. These issues (collecting main issues 31-35, plus others mentioned later) are perhaps the most "comic book"-like of the series with the big showdowns in most of the issues. If the prior installments were a little too "think-y," well, here's the payoff.

Also included in this trade paperback are the "half-issues" -- not half in terms of page numbers, but full-size issues distributed halfway between the normal monthly issues. Each of these five issues deal with one of the Cabal, and give some background to their involvement. Of course, since the entire run is about whether stories can be believed, we are left wondering how much is the truth. It's an interesting interlude between the "real" issues.

----------------------------------
LT Haiku:

Magic and power:
These two themes converge in this
fierce battle royale. ( )
  legallypuzzled | Nov 30, 2013 |
The sixth book of the series offers plenty of answers and a great deal of action, thus paying off all the time readers have spent so far. There is back story about the cabal, the reveal of the origins of Pullman, and in the present time there is a fantastic confrontation between various key characters. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
4.5 Stars

My blog post about this book is at this link.
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |

Magic and power:

These two themes converge in this

fierce battle royale.

(legallypuzzled)

Seeking revenge against the Cabal for all of the people in his life they have killed, Tom Taylor leads his friends into the organization's headquarters. There, he will discover truths about his powers, his father, and the reason the Cabal has kept track of him his entire life.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible