The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

8,441None362 (3.72)448
1001 (45) 1001 books (48) 19th century (199) British (83) British literature (104) classic (419) Classic Literature (43) classics (328) Easton Press (40) ebook (60) England (68) English (45) English literature (78) fantasy (71) fiction (916) gothic (129) horror (503) Kindle (53) literature (213) London (75) mystery (99) novel (155) novella (43) own (36) read (118) Robert Louis Stevenson (47) science fiction (217) to-read (115) unread (46) Victorian (81)
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe, lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (SanctiSpiritus)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (sturlington, Hollerama)
    Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin (VictoriaPL)
    The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    The Face of Another by Kōbō Abe (lilisin)
    lilisin: Very different stylistically but these books cover the same theme. However, Abe goes into much more detail about the repercussions that comes with letting your other side get the best of you.
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (Hollerama)
    Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky (bertilak)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)

English (123)  Danish (3)  Italian (3)  French (2)  German (2)  Portuguese (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (137)
This books was surprisingly fun. It has a slow start for the first few pages, but after that it takes off.

A quick fun little read, definitely worth the time. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Great piece of literature. Really interesting way of keeping the reader blind to very key pieces of information that would allow for easier identification of potential threats and climaxes. Really enjoy RLS and look forward to reading more of his work. ( )
  Clancy.Coonradt | Mar 12, 2014 |
With a classic name in literature, one should read this story of duality sans the preconception of it; otherwise, this will kind of seem boring due to the myriad of other stories akin to the theme. While I am quick to admit that a general audience of today will have a hard time finishing this novel due to the lack of today's immediacy, I will too admit that I did not enjoy this novel as much as any other story of good versus evil. I appreciated that it came out in its time; however, I personally look for something more, something beyond good and evil, something beyond duality. The story overall didn't do me much service, neither: I felt that everything hung on Dr. Jekyll's account at the end of the novel, which gave a great insight on the struggle between two moral magnets. However, to read a story as something witnessed, then something explained, can either resonate well with me or not. The witnessing of madness in this novel left much to be desired, at least on my account.

A great read if you're starting on the duality of man. ( )
  Max-Tyrone | Feb 13, 2014 |
After reading an Advanced Reading Copy of Nancy Horan's new book, The Wide and Starry Sky, which is about the life of Robert Louis Stevenson and his wife, I decided I just had to re-read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It has been many, many years since I'd read it.

I am so glad I read this classic novel. So many reviews have been written about it and it has gotten 1 Star up through 5 Stars. I give this short novel 4 Stars. I believe Mr. Stevenson want us to realize that there is some evil in all of us and this novel is certainly convincing. It was a fast read for me even though the story unfolds rather slowly.

Some adjectives I will use to describe this novel are gothic, mysterious, horrific, and creepy. There are many more I could use but you get the idea!!

I hope to read more of Stevenson's writings. He truly was a Master. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Feb 11, 2014 |
The influence of Hogg's "Justified Sinner" is quite clear on this story, only Stevenson takes the idea one step further and internalises the dark side within his character of Dr Hyde, ready to be unleashed with the aid of chemical substances, rather than have it as a separate external influence on the character as Hogg does. I thought I knew the story well, but it was definitely worth reading the original. It's a much shorter book than I expected. I'm sure I read a novel once that told the story from the point of view of Dr Jekyll's maid that was far longer than Stevenson's story. I liked the non-linear way the story is told. ( )
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Nineteen Other Tales by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson

Frankenstein | Dracula | Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Mary Shelley

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Secret Sharer / Transformation: Three Tales of Doubles by Susan J. Wolfson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

It's ill to loose the bands that God decreed to bind;
Still will we be the children of the heather and the wind,
Far away from home, O it's still for you and me
That the broom is blowing bonnie in the north countrie.
To Katharine De Mattos
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.
With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two. I say two, because the state of my own knowledge does not pass beyond that point. Others will follow, others will outstrip me on the same lines; and I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.
This is the single story work. Please do not combine with other story collections or with abridged versions.

When a brute of a man tramples an innocent girl, apparently out of spite, two bystanders catch the fellow and force him to pay reparations to the girl's family. The brute's name is Edward Hyde. A respected lawyer, Utterson, hears this story and begins to unravel the seemingly manic behavior of his best friend, Dr. Henry Jekyll, and his connection with Hyde. Several months earlier, Utterson had drawn up an inexplicable will for the doctor naming Hyde as his heir in the event that he disappears.
What's in this test tube?
I don't know. Should I drink it?
Sure, what could go wrong?

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528956, Mass Market Paperback)

The young Robert Louis Stevenson suffered from repeated nightmares of living a double life, in which by day he worked as a respectable doctor and by night he roamed the back alleys of old-town Edinburgh. In three days of furious writing, he produced a story about his dream existence. His wife found it too gruesome, so he promptly burned the manuscript. In another three days, he wrote it again. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was published as a "shilling shocker" in 1886, and became an instant classic. In the first six months, 40,000 copies were sold. Queen Victoria read it. Sermons and editorials were written about it. When Stevenson and his family visited America a year later, they were mobbed by reporters at the dock in New York City. Compulsively readable from its opening pages, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is still one of the best tales ever written about the divided self.

This University of Nebraska Press edition is a small, exquisitely produced paperback. The book design, based on the original first edition of 1886, includes wide margins, decorative capitals on the title page and first page of each chapter, and a clean, readable font that is 19th-century in style. Joyce Carol Oates contributes a foreword in which she calls Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde a "mythopoetic figure" like Frankenstein, Dracula, and Alice in Wonderland, and compares Stevenson's creation to doubled selves in the works of Plato, Poe, Wilde, and Dickens.

This edition also features 12 full-page wood engravings by renowned illustrator Barry Moser. Moser is a skillful reader and interpreter as well as artist, and his afterword to the book, in which he explains the process by which he chose a self-portrait motif for the suite of engravings, is fascinating. For the image of Edward Hyde, he writes, "I went so far as to have my dentist fit me out with a carefully sculpted prosthetic of evil-looking teeth. But in the final moments I had to abandon the idea as being inappropriate. It was more important to stay in keeping with the text and, like Stevenson, not show Hyde's face." (Also recommended: the edition of Frankenstein illustrated by Barry Moser) --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:51 -0400)

In a classic story of good and evil, a gentle doctor's experiment into the duality of the soul goes awry and he is transformed into a hideous monster at night.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528956, 0141023589, 0451532252, 0141389508

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,484,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible