dismiss

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1886)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

A kind and well-respected doctor can turn himself into a murderous madman by taking a secret drug he's created.
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe, lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (HollyMS)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    The Face of Another by Kōbō Abe (lilisin)
    lilisin: Very different stylistically but these books cover the same theme. However, Abe goes into much more detail about the repercussions that comes with letting your other side get the best of you.
    Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin (VictoriaPL)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (HollyMS)
    Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky (bertilak)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: The Penguin Classics edition is worth having by all who enjoy Stevenson's brilliant little novel. The Introduction, Notes and afterword by Robert Mighall vary in quality and contain some superficial, misguided or simply irrelevant stuff. But they also contain some fascinating background and useful annotations.… (more)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)
    Alicia's Ghost by Nick Iuppa (weelinda)
    weelinda: this book was a wonderful book to read and now I have read all the books in this series well the two of them but they are very very good and will be reading the third one soon

English (224)  Italian (11)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (258)
A very interesting study. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
The way the story is framed so that we see Jekyll and Hyde through the eyes of an observer really saps the immediacy of the tale. Then, when we finally do get Jekyll's story, I found it surprisingly simplistic and dull. It's a good concept handled in just about the least effective way I can imagine. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
I feel a little like no modern reader can truly appreciate this book, as we're so thoroughly spoiled for the big reveal that takes place around three quarters of the way through. It's not badly written, but it's more mystery than horror, and very much more told than shown for most of the book. I didn't dislike this in the way I disliked Treasure Island, but I didn't love it either, and I think this will be the last I read of his.

Also, the almost-complete lack of women in this book is very odd.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Güzel bir kitaptı.Bir oturuşta bitirilecek bir kitap.Kitap meşhur bir kitap olduğu için kitabın içeriği ile ilgili bilgi sahibiydim bu sebeple kitabı okurken daha az zevk aldım ama sonuyla yine de beni etkiledi.Anlatım olarak başkarakterin gözünden anlatılsaydı tarz olarak benzettiğim Frankenstein'ı geçebilecek bir kitap olabilirdi ama bu haliyle birkaç tık altında kalıyor. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
I had hoped that a re-read would have increased my appreciation of this old, albeit classic, tale, but alas, I still just find it *okay*. I can't complain about the style because I've read a lot of Stevenson's contemporaries. I can't complain that it's not "fantastic or gruesome" enough, because it does have a certain low-level miasma of hysteria that works fine as a thriller.

What I can and want to complain about is something that has annoyed me about these people from day one. The insistence that Evil is Written in People's Ugliness. I mean, jeeze, way to play up that prejudice, Stevenson! I mean, sure, the guy eventually got around to murdering someone, but for the most part, he was just letting down his hair, masturbating, visiting prostitutes and spitting on little old church ladies. Not in any particular order, mind you, and probably not all at the same time.

This is a GUILTY PLEASURE novel of good ole repressed England. A "Oh my goodness I'm being so naughty aren't I a bad boy and wouldn't it be great if I could get away with this without ANY repercussions?" novel. Just because it upholds the majority moralistic lip-service in terms of evil getting its just deserts doesn't mean that the book didn't also represent a real and true undercurrent of rebellion.

In fact, I'm sure it was seen and gloated over for just that reason. Hyde may be despicable, but he's also a rock-n-roller, a biker dude, and Trump. He just wants to see the world burn because the world has burned him.

I can understand the popularity of this tale. I enjoyed it on both reads, too.

BUT, I don't have to appreciate the pandering to the lowest prejudices of the time. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

It's ill to loose the bands that God decreed to bind;
Still will we be the children of the heather and the wind;
Far away from home, O it's still for you and me
That the broom is blowing bonnie in the north countrie.
TO
KATHARINE DE MATTOS
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance, that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, and yet somehow lovable.
With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two. I say two, because the state of my own knowledge does not pass beyond that point. Others will follow, others will outstrip me on the same lines; and I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.
This is the single story work. Please do not combine with other story collections or with abridged versions.

Suspense, omicidi, atmosfere cupe: c'è quanto basta per restare svegli con Lo Strano Caso del dr. Jekyll e del sig. Hyde. È la storia di un dottore che scopre in una droga il mezzo per trasformarsi in una creatura mostruosa. Ambientato nella Londra del XIX secolo, il romanzo di Stevenson ha inizio in una strada cittadina, con una chiacchierata tra l'avvocato Utterson e suo cugino Enfield. Passeggiando, i due superano una casa che ricorda a Enfield una brutta vicenda: in quell'abitazione era vissuto un certo signor Hyde che aveva picchiato brutalmente una bambina. Utterson resta scosso dal racconto e se ne torna a casa. Ma poco dopo, nel suo studio, fa una scoperta inquietante: il beneficiario del testamento del dottor Jekyll è il signor Hyde. Si mette così sulle trac e di Hyde. Lo trova, gli parla, ma la conversazione dura pochi secondi perchè Hyde interrompe il colloquio bruscamente e sparisce. Invano l'avvocato chiede chiarimenti al dottor Jekyll, di cui è molto amico: il medico è evasivo e, anzi, a un certo punto non si fa neppure trovare. La tensione sale, i colpi di scena si susseguono, c'è un omicidio. Chi ne è l'autore? Utterson insiste con il dottor Jekyll per conoscere la verità. Ma questa verrà alla luce solo negli ultimi due capitoli. Caratterizzato da un ritmo incalzante, il libro di Stevenson esprime la convinzione dello scrittore che la mente umana abbia una doppia natura. Ma è anche un' efficace denuncia dell'ipocrisia della società vittoriana.
(piopas)
What's in this test tube?
I don't know. Should I drink it?
Sure, what could go wrong?
(Carnophile)
A mad scientist
divides himself in two parts.
He’s both good and bad.
(marcusbrutus)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528956, 0141023589, 0451532252, 0141389508

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100763, 1400108594

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175870, 1909175889

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,053,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible