The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (original 1886; edition 2006)

by Robert Louis Stevenson (Author), Ian Holm (Narrator), Csa Word (Publisher)

Member:GeoffHabiger
Title:The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson (Author)
Other authors:Ian Holm (Narrator), Csa Word (Publisher)
Info:CSA Word (2006)
Rating:***
Tags:classics, science fiction

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (chrisharpe, lucyknows)
    lucyknows: Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness could be paired with Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray or The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In all three novels the authors depict the struggle of people against the forces of evil.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (SanctiSpiritus, ghr4)
    The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Another great Victorian horror novel.
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (Sylak)
    Sylak: Delving the depths of human savagery and corruption.
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (HollyMS)
    The Time Machine by H. G. Wells (chrisharpe)
    The Face of Another by Kōbō Abe (lilisin)
    lilisin: Very different stylistically but these books cover the same theme. However, Abe goes into much more detail about the repercussions that comes with letting your other side get the best of you.
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (HollyMS)
    Society of Mind by Marvin Minsky (bertilak)
    Mary Reilly by Valerie Martin (VictoriaPL)
    Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse (roby72)
    Alicia's Ghost by Nick Iuppa (weelinda)
    weelinda: this book was a wonderful book to read and now I have read all the books in this series well the two of them but they are very very good and will be reading the third one soon
Horror (7)
Unread books (1,019)

English (192)  Italian (9)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Danish (3)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (222)
I'm a bit of a sucker for 19th century lit.

I also shamelessly adore this book.

Its morality is heavy handed at times, but the story itself is mesmerizing. [a: Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg] once write that [a: Robert Louis Stevenson|854076|Robert Louis Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1192746024p2/854076.jpg] never set down a word that wasn't necessary. I truly felt that way about this book. The setting was incredibly evocative, and the slow descent into Hyde chilling. The lack of description of Hyde was precisely what it needed to be. More was left unsaid than said, which allowed the imagination to run amok and fill in the blanks in just what violence the creature? man? of Hyde might have done. It was effective in the same way that much of Lovecraft is effective for me, though with a far more studied and beautiful prose.

*2017 reread update*

I still shamelessly adore this book, but like my recent rereads of [b: Dracula|17245|Dracula|Bram Stoker|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1387151694s/17245.jpg|3165724] and [b: Frankenstein|18490|Frankenstein|Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1381512375s/18490.jpg|4836639] show, rereading at a later date only heightens that appreciation. There's something endlessly attractive about [a: Robert Louis Stevenson|854076|Robert Louis Stevenson|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1192746024p2/854076.jpg]'s tight prose, the pacing of the story itself, and the ever racheting sense of dread that permeates this novella's pages. The book isn't long, no, but it doesn't need to be. It's all there between the lines on the page.

My previous review praised just how much was left unsaid, and I have to say I loved that even more on this go around. What are Jekyll's sins? What does Hyde even look like? Like [b: The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1424596966s/5297.jpg|1858012] does Hyde get more terrible and powerful as the book goes on? There are tons of questions left unanswered, and our imagination fills them in as the pages turn. It's a terrible book, a dreadful fear, and so masterfully weaven that it ultimately has housed ourselves in our subconscious and our culture at large. There's a reason it's survived so well, and will continue to in perpetuity.

I love this book, as I do all these old horror classics. When I pick it up again at some later date, I've a feeling I'll just love it all the more still. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I honestly don't remember if I ever read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when I was younger. Of course, I knew the tale (in passing), though what I "knew" was always tinted through the lens of pop culture references to the character. Stevenson's tale, and his description of Mr. Hyde, is very different from many of the more "monstrous" characterizations of the character, and honestly I think that these retellings do an injustice to Stevenson's work. Hyde is a monster for sure, an purely evil man, but having him be a shriveled, gnarled man who can illicit fear and revulsion by his mere presence, but who can speak as a gentleman is a much more compelling take than as a rampaging hulk. (I'm glaring at you, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.)

I picked up this copy through my library to listen on my daily commute. The story was very good, and is befitting its place as a classic of story-telling. Robert Louis Stevenson does a great job of setting the scenes and letting the reader explore the strange case of Dr. Jekyll and his alter ego. The method that Stevenson uses is one that probably wouldn't work in today's market - with most of the story told through the exposition of letters and confessions that are read, as opposed to the readers experiencing the shock of "seeing" the strange transformation from Utterson's perspective.

My enjoyment of this particular telling of the story was a bit diminished by the pronunciation of the title's namesake - Dr. Henry Jekyll. I am an American, and I have always heard the name pronounced as "Jeh-kill". The narrator, the amazingly talented Sir Ian Holm, pronounced it as "Jee-kil" - a long "E" sound, rather than the soft "E" I am familiar with. Everything else about Holm's reading was wonderful, and I really enjoyed it, but every time he said Dr. Jekyll's name I would go "who? oh, he means the main character".

Overall I liked the book and I am glad that I have read it. If you have never read the original story, and like me are only aware of the tale through second and third-hand pop culture references, then I highly recommend you pick it up. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Jun 12, 2018 |
might be the best crafted short story I've ever read ( )
  margaretfield | May 30, 2018 |
Like most folks, I knew the broad outline of this story, but hadn't actually read it. I'm very glad I did. It's both simpler, and more complex, than a tale of one man split between his higher and his baser selves.

The telling is a combination of memior, and epistilary. Dr. Jeckyll's solicitor tells the story, including reading out some documents, including Dr. Jeckyll's final confession. Through the narrative, we meet a group of wholely believeable characters, through a beautifully structured tale. The writing is lovely and engaging. And the more I think about the plot, the more impressed I become. Generally, I can find a hole or two, but I don't mind in a well-told tale, or a story about really good characters. In this case, I can't find any. Nothing happens purely out of narrative imperative. Even at the end, it makes perfect sense that Edward Hyde not only wants, but needs to return to being Dr. Jeckyll, for all that he hates him.

This is a wonderful example of Sciene Fiction, and hard s/f at that. It is a chemical compound that allows him to seperate himself into two identities. The author very neatly keeps the experiment from being duplicated - the effect was caused by an unkown impurity in an indgredient. Dr. Jeckyll himself tries desperately to recreate the compound, but cannot. I simple makes sense that no one else is able to, either.

The story says volumes about the morals and philosopy of morals of the time. Dr. Jeckyll is trying to divorce himself from what he considers his baser urges. Those urges become a seperate identity, which takes on an outer shape reflecting his inner nature. It's taken for granted that morality or lack thereof would be obvious on someone's face.

Dr. Jeckyll may have been, originally, trying to put aside his baser urges. His chemical compound, however, gave him a way to indulge those urges, without consequence to himself. If Edward Hyde indulged in reprehensible acts, no one would think it had anything to do with Dr. Jeckyll. Even those who knew there was a connection, assumed that Hyde was blackmailing Jeckyll.

I find myself comparing this to the Orginal Series Star Trek Episode, "The Enemy Within". (Yes, everything in the world is connected to Star Trek. Hush.) In this episode, a transporter accident splits Captain Kirk into two men. They're physically identical, but one has all of Kirk's higher, gentler aspects, and the other has all of his baser, more violent aspects. The acting (Yes, there was so acting. Didn't I tell you to hush?) was the only difference between the two Kirks. And, unlike the good Dr. Jeckyll, Kirk found his salvation not in repression, but in integration. To be his best self, he needed both his angel and his devil.

Dr. Jeckyll, however, found that give way to his darker side gave that side power. To him and his contemporaries, Kirk's solution was unthinkable. The baser part of man was a thing to be fought, suppressed, ideally to be killed entirely. Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde is a dramatic lesson in the dangers of giving way to your baser urges. At the end, it was just thinking like Hyde that brought on the transformation; that part of him had become that strong.

I don't, personally, subscribe to that philosophy. But you don't have to agree with the underlying philosophy to be moved by the tale. Dr. Jeckyll let something dangerous into his life. Once he realized just how dangerous, he stopped using the compound, and put Hyde out of his mind entirely. But he gave into temptation. You could imagine him thinking, "It'll be okay just this one time." Who hasn't thought that? But that one more time was his undoing. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
I had read this book many years back, and read it again. It is indeed one of the more fascinating books that I have read. It's been a while since I read some of the old classics ( I started with Bertie Wooster!), and it took one or two pages before I got back into the swing of it all

The concept is incredible, and does indeed hark to the present when we are trying all sorts of brain and other experiments. It does teach us the dangers of meddling too much with biology, and playing God.

Beautiful book, Needs to be widely read again ( )
  RajivC | Apr 17, 2018 |

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Nineteen Other Tales by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson

Frankenstein | Dracula | Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Mary Shelley

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / The Secret Sharer / Transformation: Three Tales of Doubles by Susan J. Wolfson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde [Norton Critical Edition] by Robert Louis Stevenson

Frankenstein, Drácula, O médico e o monstro by Coletivo

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Weir of Hermiston by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with The Merry Men and Other Tales and Fables by Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories (Vintage Classics) by Robert Louis Stevenson

Classic Horror Omnibus: Vol.1 by Peter Haining

Treasury Of Gothic & Supernatural by Bruce T. Smyth

Novels of Mystery from the Victorian Age by Maurice Richardson

Modern Mystery and Adventure Novels: Portrait of Jennie; Jamaica Inn; The Thirty-Nine Steps; Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Re by Robert Nathan

Robert Louis Stevenson: Four Complete Novels by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Bottle Imp And Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror by Robert Louis Stevenson

Selected writings of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson in One Volume by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson (South Seas Edition Complete 32 Volumes) by Robert Louis Stevenson

Seven Novels by Robert Louis Stevenson

Black Arrow / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde / Kidnapped / Master of Ballantrae / Treasure Island / Weir of Hermiston by Robert Louis Stevenson

The pavilion on the links; The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; and other stories, essays, poems by Robert Louis Stevenson

Penny Dreadful Multipack Vol. 3 by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Great Short Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Oxford Library of Short Novels Volume I: Goethe to Stevenson by John Wain

Minor Classics of Nineteenth-Century Fiction [2-volume set] by William E. Buckler

The Collection of Classic Gothic Novels by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

It's ill to loose the bands that God decreed to bind;
Still will we be the children of the heather and the wind,
Far away from home, O it's still for you and me
That the broom is blowing bonnie in the north countrie.
To Katharine De Mattos
Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance that was never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary and yet somehow lovable.
With every day, and from both sides of my intelligence, the moral and the intellectual, I thus drew steadily nearer to that truth by whose partial discovery I have been doomed to such a dreadful shipwreck: that man is not truly one, but truly two. I say two, because the state of my own knowledge does not pass beyond that point. Others will follow, others will outstrip me on the same lines; and I hazard the guess that man will be ultimately known for a mere polity of multifarious, incongruous and independent denizens.
This is the single story work. Please do not combine with other story collections or with abridged versions.

Suspense, omicidi, atmosfere cupe: c'è quanto basta per restare svegli con Lo Strano Caso del dr. Jekyll e del sig. Hyde. È la storia di un dottore che scopre in una droga il mezzo per trasformarsi in una creatura mostruosa. Ambientato nella Londra del XIX secolo, il romanzo di Stevenson ha inizio in una strada cittadina, con una chiacchierata tra l'avvocato Utterson e suo cugino Enfield. Passeggiando, i due superano una casa che ricorda a Enfield una brutta vicenda: in quell'abitazione era vissuto un certo signor Hyde che aveva picchiato brutalmente una bambina. Utterson resta scosso dal racconto e se ne torna a casa. Ma poco dopo, nel suo studio, fa una scoperta inquietante: il beneficiario del testamento del dottor Jekyll è il signor Hyde. Si mette così sulle trac e di Hyde. Lo trova, gli parla, ma la conversazione dura pochi secondi perchè Hyde interrompe il colloquio bruscamente e sparisce. Invano l'avvocato chiede chiarimenti al dottor Jekyll, di cui è molto amico: il medico è evasivo e, anzi, a un certo punto non si fa neppure trovare. La tensione sale, i colpi di scena si susseguono, c'è un omicidio. Chi ne è l'autore? Utterson insiste con il dottor Jekyll per conoscere la verità. Ma questa verrà alla luce solo negli ultimi due capitoli. Caratterizzato da un ritmo incalzante, il libro di Stevenson esprime la convinzione dello scrittore che la mente umana abbia una doppia natura. Ma è anche un' efficace denuncia dell'ipocrisia della società vittoriana.
(piopas)
What's in this test tube?
I don't know. Should I drink it?
Sure, what could go wrong?
(Carnophile)
A mad scientist
divides himself in two parts.
He’s both good and bad.
(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451528956, Mass Market Paperback)

The young Robert Louis Stevenson suffered from repeated nightmares of living a double life, in which by day he worked as a respectable doctor and by night he roamed the back alleys of old-town Edinburgh. In three days of furious writing, he produced a story about his dream existence. His wife found it too gruesome, so he promptly burned the manuscript. In another three days, he wrote it again. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was published as a "shilling shocker" in 1886, and became an instant classic. In the first six months, 40,000 copies were sold. Queen Victoria read it. Sermons and editorials were written about it. When Stevenson and his family visited America a year later, they were mobbed by reporters at the dock in New York City. Compulsively readable from its opening pages, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is still one of the best tales ever written about the divided self.

This University of Nebraska Press edition is a small, exquisitely produced paperback. The book design, based on the original first edition of 1886, includes wide margins, decorative capitals on the title page and first page of each chapter, and a clean, readable font that is 19th-century in style. Joyce Carol Oates contributes a foreword in which she calls Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde a "mythopoetic figure" like Frankenstein, Dracula, and Alice in Wonderland, and compares Stevenson's creation to doubled selves in the works of Plato, Poe, Wilde, and Dickens.

This edition also features 12 full-page wood engravings by renowned illustrator Barry Moser. Moser is a skillful reader and interpreter as well as artist, and his afterword to the book, in which he explains the process by which he chose a self-portrait motif for the suite of engravings, is fascinating. For the image of Edward Hyde, he writes, "I went so far as to have my dentist fit me out with a carefully sculpted prosthetic of evil-looking teeth. But in the final moments I had to abandon the idea as being inappropriate. It was more important to stay in keeping with the text and, like Stevenson, not show Hyde's face." (Also recommended: the edition of Frankenstein illustrated by Barry Moser) --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:11 -0400)

A respected London doctor invents a formula which turns him into an evil and ugly person who stalks the streets at night killing people, and by the time his friends discover his secret, it is too late.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451528956, 0141023589, 0451532252, 0141389508

Columbia University Press

An edition of this book was published by Columbia University Press.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909175870, 1909175889

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,543,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible