Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures…

Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most… (2012)

by Andrew Blackwell

Most stories and books dealing with the environment are written by loony lefty's who would seem to be happy if we Immediately banned everything and walked everywhere all in the name of the planet. The author of this book is funny, intelligent, and thought provoking. The environmental movement would sound far more intelligent and rational if more of them were like this author. The stories are all funny and yet they will make you realize that some things can be done to help the environment without pretending we can go back to living like during the Stone Age. This was a very enjoyable book! ( )
  zmagic69 | Aug 19, 2013 |
A fascinating, witty travelogue that is equal parts fun and disturbing. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Disappointing before finishing. My first unhappiness is not the author's fault. Picked it up because of Project Kaisei, only to find out the voyage exemplified everything Republicans fear about disorganized hippies. Was so hoping to read something definitive about the Garbage Patch and the Kaisei muffed the data by wandering through the ocean sporadically checking for plastic...

There's just too much Me Me Me in this travelogue. I did not really wish to know about the author's pain over the woman who broke up with him. If I wanted to share your pain I would be reading memoirs.

Oil Sands mining in Alberta, Port Arthur refineries and Texas oil. Horrific to think about living there.

The sewage rivers of India: now that's scary to a Westerner. I did like learning the term "ghat," which is stairs leading down to the river, because locals interact with the river way a lot compared to Americans: for worship, bathing, cremation and drinking water too. Aren't you glad to read that entrepreneurs are thinking about clean drinking water for the teeming masses?

Why did I remember Port Arthur? That's the crappy town Janis Joplin escaped from before she became a bluesy singing star in the heady days of the Haight Ashbury hippie scene.

Will probably finish the book when I get a minute.
  KaterinaBead | Jan 25, 2013 |
How does this sound for a vacation: A fun-filled trip to Chernobyl, the site of one of the world's worst nuclear accidents? Or how about a boat cruise down the Yamuna River, India's most polluted river? Don't leave out possible trips to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch or a visit to the site of the most devastating deforestation in the rainforest near the Amazon?

To Andrew Blackwell, these sounded like delightful trips. He traveled to all of these and more spots noted for being on lists for the World's Most Polluted Places and wrote about them in the book. Blackwell actually seemed to relish visiting these places and his enthusiasm for these trips echoes throughout the book.

Not really where I'd like to spend ten days of R&R, I think. Though I will say Blackwell never had to worry about standing in long lines or trying to find an available hotel room. ( )
  debnance | Sep 29, 2012 |
G156.5 .E58 B53 2012 -- Hotel Administration Library
363.73 Blackwell
  coolmama | Jul 16, 2012 |

A tour of the world's most environmentally compromised regions provides satirical analysis of "destinations" ranging from hidden bars and convenience stores to radioactive wildernesses and the waters of India.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible