Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures…

Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most… (2012)

by Andrew Blackwell

Recently added byricharddeanowen, private library, rangerfan, Em_Mac, HollyC36, dickcraig, bridgitshearth

This book was a fascinating and engrossing read. It changed the way I think about the world. I highly recommend it. ( )
  HollyC36 | Jul 21, 2014 |
Exactly how much unexamined privilege does it take to write a book such as this? A white guy from the US goes and voyeuristically tours some of the world's most polluted places, sort of brushing over the fact that for some (generally economically disadvantaged and exploited) people, pollution and its inevitable hazards is their lived reality.

I also could have lived without the liberal sprinkling of ablist language. Absolutely offensive and added nothing to his story. ( )
  lemontwist | Jun 1, 2014 |
Most stories and books dealing with the environment are written by loony lefty's who would seem to be happy if we Immediately banned everything and walked everywhere all in the name of the planet. The author of this book is funny, intelligent, and thought provoking. The environmental movement would sound far more intelligent and rational if more of them were like this author. The stories are all funny and yet they will make you realize that some things can be done to help the environment without pretending we can go back to living like during the Stone Age. This was a very enjoyable book! ( )
  zmagic69 | Aug 19, 2013 |
A fascinating, witty travelogue that is equal parts fun and disturbing. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Disappointing before finishing. My first unhappiness is not the author's fault. Picked it up because of Project Kaisei, only to find out the voyage exemplified everything Republicans fear about disorganized hippies. Was so hoping to read something definitive about the Garbage Patch and the Kaisei muffed the data by wandering through the ocean sporadically checking for plastic...

There's just too much Me Me Me in this travelogue. I did not really wish to know about the author's pain over the woman who broke up with him. If I wanted to share your pain I would be reading memoirs.

Oil Sands mining in Alberta, Port Arthur refineries and Texas oil. Horrific to think about living there.

The sewage rivers of India: now that's scary to a Westerner. I did like learning the term "ghat," which is stairs leading down to the river, because locals interact with the river way a lot compared to Americans: for worship, bathing, cremation and drinking water too. Aren't you glad to read that entrepreneurs are thinking about clean drinking water for the teeming masses?

Why did I remember Port Arthur? That's the crappy town Janis Joplin escaped from before she became a bluesy singing star in the heady days of the Haight Ashbury hippie scene.

Will probably finish the book when I get a minute.
1 vote KaterinaBead | Jan 25, 2013 |

A tour of the world's most environmentally compromised regions provides satirical analysis of "destinations" ranging from hidden bars and convenience stores to radioactive wildernesses and the waters of India.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible