The God Box: Sharing My Mother's Gift…

The God Box: Sharing My Mother's Gift of Faith, Love and Letting Go

by Mary Lou Quinlan

28None387,104 (4.17)3

What a great way to write your prayer requests. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
I received this book at my daughter's graduation from college this year (2013). The author was there to give a speech and she gave a book to each graduate either for them to keep or to give to their mother's.

It was a very sweet book on remembering Mary Lou's mother. Mary Lou's mother used to writer her prayers and hopes on pieces of paper for God to help her friends, family and people she would meet while out eating or in a store. It was sweet to see how much Mary Finlayson cared for people and put everything in God's hands.

Mary Lou Quinlan does suggest that if you feel the need to do a God Box to find what works for you. It is a nice concept and something I would consider.

I have always felt that things happen for a reason and sometimes we have no control over it. ( )
  crazy4reading | May 25, 2013 |
You can read my full review at Quieted Waters.

This small inspirational book provides touching insight into what it's like to lose a mother. Mary Lou Quinlan wrote The God Box when she lost her own mother, and Mary Lou pours emotion into every page as she remember.

Mary Lou Quinlan is already an established author with three books before this one, but The God Box is special. It is full of her own tears, both of joy and of sorrow. ( )
  QuietedWaters | May 22, 2013 |
Mary Quinlan's mother was, throughout her life, a strong believer in the power of prayer. She developed a system of writing her prayers as short notes, folding the notes, and putting them in her "God Box." Following her death her family found 11 God Boxes stuffed full of notes. As her family opened and read athe prayer-notes they relived their lives together and gained increased insight into how important various family events had been to her.
The book is a very quick read, covering Mary Finlayson's life and Quinlan's reactions to her death. Her description of the closedness between her mother and herself, and the devastation she felt at her mother's death brought tears to my eyes as it echoed my daughter's writings following the death of her father.
You don't have to be deeply religious to find this book highly inspirational abd I have no problem giving it a high recommendation.
I received this book as a Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  khuben | Nov 15, 2012 |
A beautiful love letter from a daughter to the mother she lost, and than found again. This is a great reminder that when we fear no one is listening or praying for us, others are, we just don't see it. What a wonderful legacy this woman has left! How thoughtful of Mary Lou to share her mother with us, who were never lucky enough to meet her. If we had I am sure we would have all ended up in her God Box! ( )
  TFS93 | Jul 15, 2012 |

Quinlan's mother kept a private cache of notes to God on behalf of family, friends, and strangers-- ten boxes full, in fact. Follow her emotional journey as she uncovers her mother's innermost thoughts-- and in doing so discovers her own self.

74 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible