An Amish Kitchen by Beth Wiseman

An Amish Kitchen (edition 2012)

by Beth Wiseman, Amy Clipston, Kelly Long

Member:alekee
Title:An Amish Kitchen
Authors:Beth Wiseman
Other authors:Amy Clipston, Kelly Long
Info:Thomas Nelson (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:*****

An Amish Kitchen by Beth Wiseman

An Amish Kitchen is three mini novellas. Each is a separate story, but the other characters are briefly mentioned in each story. There is also a reader's guide & lots of Amish recipes at the end of the book which would be lots of fun to try - if I were a better cook!

The first story is about Fern, an Amish healer, the second is about Hannah, who runs her family's bed and breakfast while taking care of aging parents, and the third, the longest one in the book, is about Eve and her extended family.

I think I liked the first story the best - I could relate to Fern a lot, I liked the pacing of the story, & I liked how it ended. I also liked the story about Hannah, but I didn't like the pacing of the story as much & I felt the ending was cut very, very short - so much so, that the ending actually ruined the whole story for me, and if I had to rate just the middle story, I'd only give it two stars. I felt like I was being teased, and I didn't feel like I read the whole tale. Without giving anything away, I also really felt like the conflict in the story was solved way too quickly & not very realistically.

The last story, about Eve's family, was a very emotional one for me. Her mother suffer's from Parkinson's disease, which in a lot of ways is similar to Alzheimer's, which runs in my family. I was brought to tears more than once by certain parts, and I also laughed out loud at some of the parts!

I received this book to read & review through the book sneeze program for free. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
Three novellas that are centered around the same community. The kitchen is certainly the heart of the Amish home. It's great to follow an Amish community from the eyes of different authors. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Dec 14, 2014 |
The stories were sweet. ( )
  cassie.peters1 | Sep 6, 2014 |
This was three short stories in one book. I love that it was three of my favorite Amish authors:

Amy Clipston, Kelly Long and Beth Wiseman.

Each story stood alone with a quick one liner at the very end. There was the Our Daily Bread that all three stories had in common.

The first story was about Fern who was learning from her grandma about home remedies The neighbor who was watching his siblings while his parents were gone had to come by often with the children and their predicaments

The second story about Hannah and a stranger who came to stay at her Bed and Breakfast. He quickly was hired by the brother to help out with repairs and such.

The third story had to do with mending relationships between mother and daughter. Definitely a little humor in this one with George.

For short stories I do not feel that I missed out on them being longer, they did a great job of making the stories complete with the bonus of recipes in the back. ( )
  jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |
The old saying that the kitchen is the heart of the home certainly proves to be true in this inspiring collection by three highly acclaimed authors of Amish fiction. Beth Wiseman, Amy Clipston and Kelly Long unite to provide readers with three uplifting tales of Amish life - all focusing on the importance of family and faith, as well as the power of love.

As an undeniable fan of Amish fiction as well as each individual author, I couldn't wait to get this book! And I have to say that I was definitely not disappointed! I was immediately captivated by these endearing tales and filled with the same sense of calm satisfaction that I have come to know from reading numerous books by these wonderful authors.

If you love to read Amish fiction as I do, I guarantee that you will love this charming collection too! And not only do you get three great stories by three talented writers, you also receive 45 Amish recipes to make and share as well. In my opinion it is the complete package! Grab yourself a copy today - you'll be glad you did!

I received this book from NetGalley in return for my honest review. ( )
  kitchenwitch04 | Nov 14, 2013 |

Includes three Amish stories -- each celebrating love, family, and faith -- all taking place in a tight-knit community where the kitchen truly is the heart of the home.

31 wanted1 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible