He Shall Thunder in the Sky by Elizabeth…

English (18)  French (1)  All (19)
I just love Ramses so much & Amelia & Emerson & Nefret but especially Ramses! He just has all the characteristics every woman wants in a man! This was a great story about the war! It was good to see those issues brought to life. I have a better understanding of what the natives, British, Turks, revolutionaries etc. went through. Anyways, all of Peters books have been 5 star this one was no different. I laughed, I cried, I got mad & I jumped for joy!! Basically, I went through the full range of emotions and I think that's what a really good book should make you do! If you havent read the series, start with book 1 and read them all!! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
He Shall Thunder In The Sky, by Elizabeth Peters
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ and a ♥

Synopsis: Egypt and her hoary secrets are no match for New York Times-bestselling Grandmaster Elizabeth Peters and her indomitable archaeologist sleuth Amelia Peabody. The sand-and-wind blown ambience of this strange and colorful world, the ancient enchantments and delicious menace are more vibrantly realized than ever in this thrilling new adventure that places the intrepid Amelia and her equally remarkable family in the dangerous path of an onrushing World War.
The pursuit of knowledge must never be deterred by Man's folly. So the close of 1914 finds Amelia Peabody and her husband Radcliffe Emerson back in Egypt for another season of archaeological excavation--despite the increasing danger of an attack on the Suez Canal and on Egypt itself. Trouble is brewing in Cairo and the defiantly pacifist stance of Amelia and Emerson's headstrong son Ramses is earning the young man the derision, and much worse, of the British expatriate community. Meanwhile, the charismatic nationalist el Wardani is said to be fomenting insurrection in the ancient city. And since there is no way to stand outside the political hurricane that is suddenly threatening their lives, Amelia plunges directly into it.
When el Wardani escapes a police dragnet, thanks to the direct intervention of Amelia and Emerson, the family's stake in a perilous game is raised considerably. But it's Ramses' strange secret role in it that could truly bring ruin down upon all their heads. However, there is more than intrigue and espionage, plots and counterplots, at work here. For an artifact uncovered at a Giza dig--an exquisite sculpture found where it ought not to be confirms Amelia's most unsettling suspicion: that the chaos consuming Cairo has masked the nefarious re-emergence of Amelia's villainous archnemesis, Sethos, the Master Criminal.
The extraordinary Elizabeth Peters raises exotic intrigue to a new level with He Shall Thunder in the Sky. If you have never before experienced Amelia and her singular clan, prepare to be enthralled by the droll wit, the richly evoked locale, and a story that twists sensuously and mysteriously like an asp writhing beneath the desert sun. And longtime devotees will relish the return of dear friends--and await the resolution of a love affair that may change the Emersons' destiny forever.
In A Sentence: It got a little mushy at the end, but I still love it!
My Thoughts: Personally, I think the series begins to go on a downhill spiral starting with this book. I still love this series as a whole (hence the five stars), but this book definitely takes a melodramatic turn. I think in general this book was very good, but the scenes with Sethos were a bit ridiculous and overdone. The climatic ending definitely could have been better without Sethos stealing the show.
Beyond that however, I really enjoyed this read. I love reading about Ramses as an adult. Nefret’s behavior has irritated me in the previous novels, particularly in The Falcon At The Portal, but I feel she has redeemed herself in this book. The overall story is pretty exciting. Elizabeth Peters does very well in creating Indiana Jones-esque adventures, which always makes for an entertaining read. Add to that the clever humor of both Amelia and her son Ramses, and you have a great novel.
Overall, I would certainly recommend this book. After this one, however, the series starts to become less interesting. They’re still fun reads, but if you want to stop at a certain point before the books get tiresome, I would say that you stop at this one.
  Spirolim | Jan 13, 2016 |
On the whole I tend to prefer the Peabody stories set before the First World War --it is simply too serious a theme for essentially lighthearted mysteries. This is the first of the war ones, set in the fall of 1914. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 10, 2015 |
This volume of the Amelia Peabody mysteries is set in Egypt during World War I, and follows on the events of A Falcon at the Portal, resolving many of the plot tensions created in that earlier book, as well as a few of even longer standing. Rather than mere pecuniary criminality, this novel's intrigue centers on military espionage.

For a book with what is basically a very happy ending, He Shall Thunder in the Sky also involves the greatest amount of physical injury to the Emerson family members of any of the books thus far.

This was a bedtime reading selection that I shared with my Other Reader. With some starting and stopping (made workable in part by how well the characters had been established by previous volumes), it took us close to a year to read. But we accelerated toward the end, as the narrative pace built and various revelations were made.
3 vote paradoxosalpha | May 26, 2015 |
An Amelia Peabody Mystery. This is the 12th Amelia Peabody mystery, opens in 1914. As the tides of war rise, Egypt is threatened by attacks. Espionage abounds, pulling in several members of the Peabody Emerson household even as they embark on a new archeological season. Amidst a growing tangle of disguises and deceptions, Emerson's nemesis, the Master Criminal Appears. As increasing perils threaten the Peabody Emersons,... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 28, 2015 |
To my daughter, Beth, with love
Prologue: The wind flung the snow against the windows of the coach, where it stuck in icy curtains.
I found it lying on the floor of the corridor that led to our sleeping chambers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380798581, Mass Market Paperback)

He Shall Thunder in the Sky completes an internal quartet (which also includes Seeing a Large Cat, The Ape Who Guards the Balance, and The Falcon at the Portal) within Elizabeth Peters's legendary series starring Amelia Peabody, the intrepid Edwardian Egyptologist, her husband, Emerson, and her extended family. The quartet comprises not only Amelia's diary of those years but also parts of a mysterious "Manuscript H," an omniscient viewpoint that allows a glimpse into the minds of Amelia's son--the dashing and brilliant Ramses--and her ward, Nefret Forth, as they mature into adults with their own secrets and agendas. The Falcon at the Portal left readers hanging impatiently in the enormous rift that book's events gouged between Ramses and Nefret, both madly in love but unrelentingly proud.

The winter of 1914-15 finds the Peabody-Emerson family back in Cairo--now under British martial law, with the Suez Canal under constant threat of attack from the Ottoman Empire. The city's young Englishmen are rushing to enlist, except for Ramses, who is widely scorned for his pacifism. Yet Amelia and Emerson soon find out that Ramses is (literally) playing a mysterious and potentially explosive part in the conflict between Egyptian nationalists and the British authorities, for reasons both political and familial. Nefret, for her part, is still running a health clinic for the city's fallen women and trying to avoid the attentions of Percy, Amelia's odious nephew. In the meantime, the Emersons' excavations at Giza reveal an unexpected treasure so remarkable that the uneasy Amelia immediately senses the fine hand of Sethos, the Master Criminal (who through many previous books has alternately plagued her and protested his boundless affection for her), at work. The climax and denouement are entirely worth the price of admission--tying up a decade's worth of loose strings and explaining some nagging points so subtle that less observant readers might easily have missed them. It's Peters's great gift that in the grand scheme of things, no clues are wasted. Her plotting is wonderfully complex and intriguing, and it fits seamlessly into the detailed historical background she builds so carefully. It may have taken years for her to complete this four-part dance (she promises more Amelia Peabody mysteries in the future), but she's charmed us right out of our dancing slippers along the way. --Barrie Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:19 -0400)

With World War I thankfully ended, Amelia and Emerson Peabody can return to Egypt to continue their archaeological work, but a nationalist has begun to stir up trouble in the town where they are working, and Amelia's nemesis, Sethos, has apparently re-emerged… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,650,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible