The Colour of Milk by Nell Leyshon

The Colour of Milk (edition 2012)

by Nell Leyshon

Member:arkgirl1
Title:The Colour of Milk
Authors:Nell Leyshon
Info:Fig Tree (2012), Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read 2012, Vine, Garage

The Colour Of Milk by Nell Leyshon

The Murder Farm by Andrea Maria Schenkel (caflores)
    caflores: No tienen nada que ver ni la época ni el argumento, pero sí la granja, la miseria y el descubrimiento de la verdad.

English (10)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  All languages (13)
there is much to tell for you need to know it all and then you will understand'
By sally tarbox on 9 Mar. 2014
Format: Paperback
A short - and quite simple - story, but one that i found totally compelling. Narrated by Mary, one of the four daughters of a poor 1830s farming family, her life is hard, with a violent father. Her much-loved grandfather is disabled, waiting to die....
The other characters live at the vicarage up the road - Mr Graham, his invalid wife, and his promiscuous son Ralph...

I read it in one sitting and was enthralled by the childish writing of the only-just-literate Mary which draws you into her narrative. The only fault I found was that Mary's believability was somewhat hampered by her tendency to address her betters in the blunt manner of a 21st century teenager with attitude, which I think implausible for one of her class and upbringing. ( )
  starbox | Jul 9, 2016 |
Set in England in the 1830s, this is the story of Mary, a teenage farm girl-turned-maid who's overworked and abused but has a strong spirit, forthright manner and clear-eyed view of her world. The premise of the novel is that it's written by Mary, herself, after she learns to read and write under not-very-nice circumstances. The trouble for me, however, is that she uses no capital letters, even though she says she's learned about capital letters. Her sentences end with periods, and she does use a few commas. But no capitals. Ever. Hmmm. Nell Leyshon is a highly res[ected British writer. And this short novel has received lots of critical acclaim. So maybe she knows what she's doing. But I thought it was a bit gimmicky, even though Mary is a a very compelling protagonist. ( )
  DonnaCallea | Nov 29, 2014 |
There are plenty of reasons to suspect, right from the beginning, that something bad is going to happen to the 15-year-old narrator, but there are at least three potential sources for danger to her, and we don’t really know from whence it will come.

It’s 1831, and Mary, 15, is the youngest daughter of four girls, with a bad leg and hair the color of milk. Her cold father keeps the girls working constantly on their farm, beating them when he thinks they are slacking off. Somehow Mary retains a positive outlook on life, even though her sisters and mother are cruel to her. Only her crippled grandfather (also mistreated by the rest of the family) has any regard for Mary.

After a particularly violent beating from her father, Mary is “sold” to the Vicar over the hill to be a caretaker for his ailing wife. There, she is offered a chance to learn to read and write, and she eagerly accepts. But there is a price to pay, and it is beyond reckoning.

Discusson: The story is told as if it were a diary or letter by Mary, in her barely literate form, viz:

" i don’t like to tell you all this. there are things i do not want to say.

but i told my self i would tell you everything that happened. i said i would say it all and for this i must do it.”

The tone is absolutely compelling, with an edge of danger and dread from the very beginning. Mary is a glorious source of sunlight in the middle of a horrifying dark and disturbing tale.

Evaluation: This is excellent literature, and the story will haunt you. Like Emma Donoghue’s Room, you want to cover your eyes as the truth unfolds, yet you can’t look away. This short book is worth your time; highly recommended. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 24, 2014 |
Written in the first-person through the eyes of fourteen year old, Mary. The book is written with sparse punctuation (none of the sentences begin with capital letters), in simple language, and from a cut-to-the-chase perspective. This non-embellished style reflects Mary's age and class, but I think also, that it is the author, Nell Leyshon's way of experimenting with untraditional styles of prose, as many contemporary forms favour the minimalistic use of language. Unfortunately, this results in lack of details in story features such as characterisation, setting, and plot, so that the novel falls short of the depth factor that really draws the reader in. Hence, I was well aware throughout the story that I was just a reader, an outsider observing, rather than feeling as if I were in, or part of the story. If the book was stretched out into a full novel, the story and plot would have been richer. However, in saying all this, Leyshon is quite skillful in bringing the most out of the minimalism writing approach. Portrayal of themes such as poverty, adolescence, and farm life were vivid, and invoked sympathy and admiration for the protagonist. Furthermore, straight after reading the book, I found myself thinking about Mary and her farm life everyday for about a week. All in all, 'The Colour of Milk' is a bold and beautiful read. ( )
  Ria_Vao | Apr 7, 2014 |
Lacking depth.

I have just finished reading this novella (just 175pages) and it has left me feeling a bit short-changed. I loved the voice of Mary, the feisty farm girl who is sent to help the vicar with his ailing wife. The writing style, with no capital letters and Mary's distinctive voice, were well suited to their purpose. But not enough happened and, other than Mary's, the characterisations felt sparse.

The narrative is set mainly in 1830. Mary is 14, and the youngest of four girls who must do the job of boys on their father's farm. She also has a 'gammy' leg. So it is little wonder that she is the one chosen to help the vicar's wife when her father is offered employment for one of his daughters. She gradually adapts to life at the vicarage, though she misses her family on the farm, particularly her beloved Grandfather.

This is an interesting snapshot of life on a farm in the first half of the nineteenth century, and the contrast with that at the vicarage, but not much more. Mary's honesty verges on unbelievably cheeky and would surely have earned her swift reprimand in most households at that time. What happens when she learns to read lacks originality and the outcome is no surprise either.

In my opinion this should have been fleshed out to a full novel, with more in depth characters. Then, by the time I felt I knew Mary better, perhaps the ending would have carried more weight for me. ( )
  DubaiReader | Jun 30, 2013 |
The Colour of Milk is written in short sentences, with longer passages joined by lots of ‘ands’. It appears to have the simplicity of a reading scheme. Which is precisely the point. Because this is a story about literacy – or the achieving of literacy. For Mary, the book’s narrator, the cost of gaining that knowledge is high.

Leyshon’s great skill in this novel is to convey both Mary’s outward personality and her inner thoughts through the same narrative voice. In Mary’s own concise reporting of events we see all her relationships in their nuanced colours.

The Colour of Milk starts deceptively quietly, describing a life of rural hardships and limited prospects, but bit by bit, letter by letter, it reveals a world of potential that is shattered by human fallibility.

The year is 1830. Fifteen-year-old Mary lives a life of toil and cheerlessness on her father's farm. Outspoken, witty and bold, she has one bad leg and white hair "the colour of milk", a phrase used as a refrain throughout, along with: "this is my book and I am writing it by my own hand."

Through the hardness, Leyshon evokes nature and the seasons with a poetic sensibility. This is where all the feeling is. The language has a biblical tinge, with many short passages and sentences beginning with "and" (there are hardly any capitals in the book). A constant flow of seasonal activity and reference to the natural world gives a bucolic flavour: "and in the morning and evening the mist layered and made the hills soft and the air thick"; "and Edna filled the kitchen with jars and pans and we were busy with the fruit and getting it into the jars, and harry dug up all the beetroot and carrots and onions and brought it to the back door and we laid it down in sandboxes and put it in the cold store and then we put the apples in the dark. and he sacked up the potatoes and we made sure the bags was tied and the light could not get in."
added by kidzdoc | editThe Guardian, Carol Birch (Jun 15, 2012)

"This is my book," writes a pale-haired farm girl in 1831, "every word i spelled out. every letter i wrote." Fourth daughter to a father who wanted sons, Mary is sent away from the drudgery of her family's farm to nurse the local vicar's weak-hearted wife. In the genteel, sun-filled rooms of the vicarage she learns to write, but it is there, too, that events take place that compel her to undertake her painstaking task.

Leyshon is a master of domestic suspense and the reasons for Mary's determination emerge tantalisingly slowly. A cannier cousin to Hardy's Tess – truculent and possessed of a sly wit – Mary is nevertheless in an invidious position: betrayed by weak-willed masters and, though gifted the means to tell her story, powerless to negotiate the cost at which her knowledge comes.

This is a deftly executed sketch of a lost geography: a story saved by an accident of fate that becomes part of the piercing irony at its heart. Slender but compelling, the charm of Leyshon's novella is to be found as much in its spare, evocative style as in the moving candour of its narrator.
added by kidzdoc | editThe Observer, Lettie Ransley (Jun 2, 2012)

this is my book and i am writing it by my own hand.

This is the tale of Mary, a simple farm girl, sent to care for the vicar's invalid wife but who discovers wonders in words - and terrors in life.

Mary, the spirited youngest daughter of an angry, violent man, is sent to work for the local vicar and his invalid wife. Her strange new surroundings offer unsettling challenges, including the vicar's lecherous son and a manipulative fellow servant. But life in the vicarage also offers unexpected joys, as the curious young girl learns to read and write -- knowledge that will come at a tragic price.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,267,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible