Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn
3,408None1,574 (3.94)21
adventure (14) expanded universe (11) fantasy (51) favorites (9) fiction (320) hardcover (18) Jedi (13) Luke Skywalker (12) media tie-in (16) movie tie-in (9) New Republic Era (19) novel (40) own (25) owned (10) paperback (29) read (71) science fiction (738) series (46) sf (78) sff (40) space opera (42) speculative fiction (11) Star Wars (819) SW (12) Thrawn (50) Thrawn Trilogy (86) Timothy Zahn (26) to-read (18) trilogy (15) unread (16)

This first book in what literally kick-started the Star Wars saga back into the public consciousness, is that type of book (as was the series) that not only captured your imagination right from the first word, but captured the spirit, essence and fluidity of the original saga as a whole. With the additions of Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn to the already stellar cast of all of our favorite characters, Zahn was able to reintroduce us to the world of George Lucas's epic fantasy and craft a vivid, thrilling, funny and all out action packed story. (This review goes along with the other two books in The Thrawn Trilogy (Dark Force Rising and The Last Command) as well.) ( )
  BryanCaron | Jan 4, 2014 |
Been 14 years since I read this. I remember being blown away when I first read this. Probably helped that this was nearly my first Star Wars book [after Mr Twincest himself's book, poor guy].

This time I read it with a much vaster repertoire of books read under my belt. It was still a very good book. But it wasn't incredible.

Zahn does a fantastic job of creating the characters like how you would expect them to be after the Trilogy. So many foundations of the EU are introduced and laid down in this book and the rest of the trilogy. It almost makes me cry. Especially when considering the Kataana Fleet [mentioned in this book] and how Mr. Mccube Dowel completely gutted that story with his horrible Black Fleet trilogy. [If I'm mixing up authors/series, feel free to correct me in the comments section and I'll fix it. I just don't care enough right now to go look it up].

Mara. To me, that sums up Zahn's highest achievement with this book. Even greater than Thrawn imo. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Grand Admiral Thrawn has made the connection between the late, force sensitive, Emperor and his influence on Imperial troops. Thrawn believes that to gain victory once more, a force sensitive being is crucial. Just who will be this force sensitive being? Timothy Zahn’s historic novel, Heir to the Empire, caused a huge jump in the canon extended universe of Star Wars. Book one of the Thrawn Trilogy, a book that created so many ideas that later were in the prequel trilogy movies. A great book by a great author. ( )
  Wuher | Aug 29, 2013 |
I can't believe I read a Star Wars book. Did I seriously read a Star Wars book? Yep, I think I read a Star Wars book.

And... I liked it. I didn't love it, but I did like it a lot. I feel like I would have liked it even more if I remembered more from the movies, but I haven't watched them in years.

There's not really much I can say.. It's a Star Wars book. A good one. I haven't read others, so I can't compare it to them. I'm by no means a SW connoisseur, but there you have it. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |

Setterborg, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Captain Pellaeon?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553296124, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,443,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible