Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn

Now that the expanded universe is being wiped away thanks to Disney, I thought it would be a good time to read some more of it. :P I listened to the audiobook recently and it was very enjoyable - very well read. Heir to the Empire is an interesting story. I think Zahn hits on all cylinders with the characterization while also introducing some interesting new characters. I especially like Talon Karde. Oh, and if you're a fan of the old PC game Star Wars: Rebellion, you'll enjoy this book as many of the characters in that game stem from this series. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Dec 4, 2014 |
I had forgotten Star Wars. Really, I had. I grew up playing with the toys and "Return of the Jedi" is one of the first movies I remembering seeing in the theater, but in an odd way it all slipped my mind--horses were far more interesting, there was school, the pain of being the bookish non-athletic kid who writes and wants to act and sing and dance, and besides, they weren't making any more movies but Star Trek at least kept turning stuff out . . . and then one day at the barn, I noticed that the book my mom had brought to read while I had my lesson said "Star Wars" on the cover.

And I had never seen it before.

"What book is that?"

"It's the new Star Wars book."

"New...Star Wars?"

"Yeah."

"Can I read it when you're done?"

I read it.

It was all the things I'd WANTED the prequel to be and what I hope the sequel trilogy will end up being. I was back in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away, with all my old favorites, and even though I had never dreamed it possible there was more to the story than "The Emperor died and they all lived happily ever after." Old favorites were just like they should be, and new characters like Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn fit right in as if they'd always been part of the plot. I could barely wait for the second book and was so anxious for the third even being on vacation in Toronto didn't stop me from rushing to the bookstore to grab a copy the day of its release. On rereading, sure, there are bits that seem a little awkward (Zahn, like many Star Wars authors, sometimes drifts towards 'Star Wars Catchphrase Bingo', and even his own characters seem a little out of tune with their later selves. This is most notable with Thrawn and Captain Pellaeon when compared to later depictions.) C'baoth is probably not the most compelling character ever written. But especially compared to later Star Wars books, this is most like sitting down and watching a new Star Wars movie, only with the added benefit of gray-area characters who are genuinely gray, characters with complex motivations, and most of all a villain who's believably competent even without being Force-sensitive. Zahn's engineering and military SF background pays huge dividends in having Imperial adversaries who do something other than glower villainously and fire a thousand rounds at our heroes without hitting them. There's actual tension-we know in the end Luke, Leia and Han have to come out on top, but just like in Empire Strikes Back, you're not really sure how.

Yes, later Star Wars books have issues. But this one stands the test of time. If you love Star Wars, do yourself a favor and read the Zahn trilogy. ( )
1 vote Jennifer.Quail | Nov 4, 2014 |
Some of the first books I'd read as a kid. I wonder if they would be so great if I read them now??? ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
Star Wars Heir To The Empire is a nice, classic Star Wars novel. I enjoyed the originality of it and the way it ended.

The book is made even better by the new forward and annotations by the author. The new Thrawn novella is what sold it for me.

Although it's great in hardcover format, I'd suggest buying it on Kindle if you have one, it's a lot cheaper in e-book format.

All in all, it's a fun, classic Star Wars book that you can't put down and leaves you exited to see what happens in it's sequel. ( )
  Revan97 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Nostalgin är total.
Det kan inte ha varit lätt att ta en så älskad bunt karaktärer och skriva något tillräckligt nytt men samtidigt tillräckligt likt Star Wars-filmerna, men Zahn gör det med bravur.
Första tjugo sidorna räcker för att jag ska känna mig helt övertygad om att det här verkligen är Luke, Leia, Han och Threepio, så som jag minns dem men några år äldre. Visst finns det problem här och var, men de överskuggas för mig av det rafflande äventyret och igenkänningen. Grand Admiral Thrawn är dessutom en helt igenom värdig efterträdare till Lord Vader. Det här vill jag ha mer av. ( )
  Oakfairy | Jul 15, 2014 |

Setterborg, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Captain Pellaeon?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553296124, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:25 -0400)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible