No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn

I had a hard time getting into it, but overall I did enjoy it. What mostly fueled my disinterest was the emphasis on politics, not just in the New Republic but even the Empire too.

I am very interested in Luke's internal battles though, and I'm curious to see where that will go. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jun 17, 2016 |
Hate to say this as I feel terribly disloyal to Star Wars but the series was not up my ally at all. While I loved the idea of the trilogy, I prefer my Star Wars served up movie style.

Here is my complete review on my blog Thank the Maker: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2012/10/not-droids-youre-looking-for-review...
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
The beginning of and still the best expanded universe series ever created. update 2/3: After watching SW VII I find it even more disappointing this series is no longer canon. This book would have made a far superior story than what they gave us in the new film. ( )
  TheBishop34 | May 31, 2016 |
Probably the most well-known Star Wars novel, and rightfully so. Zahn created a fantastic villain in Admiral Thrawn, and a striking character in Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand. The Noghri, a people who worshipped Darth Vader, are another fantastic source of conflict. The plot is complex and well-thought out, and the interactions between characters are great.

Despite its strengths, this book will nevertheless be primarily known for the hideous cover-art of Dark Jedi C'boath, who has possibly the most ridiculous pair of abs ever created. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It's difficult to know what to say about this book. There is definitely a plot in there somewhere and the Empire characters are promising replacements for those recently departed but it is such a horribly written book that these elements are swamped under a miasma of nod-and-wink phrases lifted directly from the original movie trilogy, and I don't mean the occasional "Goldenrod", I mean whole lines of dialog.

Plus there are many scenes that seemed all too familiar - e.g. do you remember when the Millennium Falcon was attempting to out run a star destroyer and managed finally to engage its hyperdrive to escape leaving Darth Vader staring menacingly (but quietly) out into space? Well have no fear because that whole scene appears in this book, only this time it's Luke escaping and Thrawn staring menacingly (but quietly) out into space - too close to the movie scene to be anything other than derivative.

This is the tip of the iceberg. I could mention the fact that the characters (especially Luke) have so many flashback memories, and all conveniently of things that happened in the movies (as if they hadn't experienced ANYTHING else in their lives), that the narrative becomes a chaotic piece of movie-fan worship. I could also mention that many of the "new" scenes are simply reworked ideas, again from the movies. Does Leia's visit to Kashyyyk seem similar to Luke's time on Dagobah to anyone else (thematically at least)? How about when her Wookie companion with the voice impediment (i.e. human speech patterns) starts talking like Yoda - "Get back to the city we must". Oy oy oy.

On a Dagobah side note it's also hilarious, and such an obviously imitative scene, that Luke feels that he HAS to visit Dagobah again to "talk" to Yoda. Even though Yoda appeared to him on Endor and so, apparently, Luke could have stayed in his room drinking the new fangled drink 'hot chocolate' (really??) that Lando had discovered and simply let Yoda come to him and tell him what he needed to know.

And so on and so forth.

I don't know if you'd have to be an über Star Wars fan to love this book, (I'm a general fan but not obsessed, I save that for Trek), but I don't know how you could know anything about Star Wars and like what's going on here. The only thing I can think of is that this was the very first book written after the movies and maybe people wanted all the references and in jokes to ground their reading experience. Not me. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |

Setterborg, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Captain Pellaeon?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553296124, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:25 -0400)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,324,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible