No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Heir To The Empire by Timothy Zahn

I really liked this book. I recently got finished with National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo from here on out) so I wanted something light to read. I decided to go back into my stash of Star Wars books that I had never read before. I had heard that this book, and the whole trilogy, was one of the best. I found out that people were right!

This was published in a time when the entire concept of an "Expanded Universe" wasn't even a thing. Back when this was being published, a new book or comic was something exciting and new. New stories about Han, and Leia, And Luke! The Empire being evil! Chewbacca and other wookies! At the time this was published it was basically a sequel to Return of the Jedi and it was super exciting. I think Timothy Zahn treats the characters well and they all have the voices you remember from the movies. It is also the book that (i think) introduces Mara Jade who is , i'm told, pretty polarizing in the Star Wars Fandom.

This book takes place five years after the events of Return of the Jedi. The Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting twins. Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited new line of Jedi Knights.

Thousands of light years away, Grand Admiral Thrawn, the last of the Emperor's Warlords, has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the New Republic. Thrawn is searching for a Dark Jedi and is succeeding in restoring the Empire.

Thrawn is a very cool addition to the Star Wars galaxy. Like almost literally. He is calm, cool, and unruffled throughout this entire book. Even when things go wrong he basically just shrugs and says "all according to plan". General Pellaeon is his second in command and is written pretty well. He is always making asides about how different Thrawn is than his last boss *coughPalpatinecough*, and how amazing his plan is, which could have very quickly gotten annoying. Mara Jade is OK. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to think she is this ultimate bad ass right now, mostly i find her moody and whiny. This is actually the first book I have read with her in it, she either gets more sympathetic or less sympathetic. I have heard both. I guess I'll have to continue reading to find out for sure.

The trio is handled pretty well. Han is still sarcastic and cynical and Leia still strives for peace and understanding. Their relationship is handled well. They seem like a couple who are equals and fight but ultimately love and respect each other. Luke is written like he always is, at least in the books I've read. Calm, composed, and in control of himself and the force on the outside but unsure and worrying on the inside. I think that this characterization might have started here but who knows. It can get old. I like the characters i read to have some emotions other then "stoic", but the chapters and section where you get a glimpse of the thoughts and feelings inside his head help alleviate that somewhat.

Zahn’s invention of the ysalamiri—creepy little slugs who negate the Force is a cool invention. I like the idea of a life-form that can repel the force and negate its effects. Maybe the new continuity will bring them back?

The battles are well written and each is pretty interesting and the Noghri who chase after our heroes are cool and a bit scary. I almost forgot Joruus C’Baoth, an insane Dark Jedi clone of a Jedi named Jorus (one “u”) C’Baoth. He is crazy, and he wants Luke, Leia, and Leia's unborn twins. He wants to lead them and mold them in his image. CRAZY. Luke gets a Force Message from him and wants to head out and find this random new Jedi. (Luke is not the most cautious person. and he is way too trusting of strangers calling to him through the force). I'm pretty interested in where this story is headed.

This was a great book and I am looking forward to reading the next books in this series! ( )
1 vote Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I had a hard time getting into it, but overall I did enjoy it. What mostly fueled my disinterest was the emphasis on politics, not just in the New Republic but even the Empire too.

I am very interested in Luke's internal battles though, and I'm curious to see where that will go. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jun 17, 2016 |
Hate to say this as I feel terribly disloyal to Star Wars but the series was not up my ally at all. While I loved the idea of the trilogy, I prefer my Star Wars served up movie style.

Here is my complete review on my blog Thank the Maker: http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2012/10/not-droids-youre-looking-for-review...
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
The beginning of and still the best expanded universe series ever created. update 2/3: After watching SW VII I find it even more disappointing this series is no longer canon. This book would have made a far superior story than what they gave us in the new film. ( )
  TheBishop34 | May 31, 2016 |
Probably the most well-known Star Wars novel, and rightfully so. Zahn created a fantastic villain in Admiral Thrawn, and a striking character in Mara Jade, the Emperor's Hand. The Noghri, a people who worshipped Darth Vader, are another fantastic source of conflict. The plot is complex and well-thought out, and the interactions between characters are great.

Despite its strengths, this book will nevertheless be primarily known for the hideous cover-art of Dark Jedi C'boath, who has possibly the most ridiculous pair of abs ever created. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Setterborg, ElisabetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Setterborg, GabrielTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Captain Pellaeon?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553296124, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:25 -0400)

It's five years after Return of the Jedi: the Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and the Emperor, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting Jedi Twins. And Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited line of Jedi Knights. But thousand of light-years away, the last of the emperor's warlords has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the new Republic. For this dark warrior has made two vital discoveries that could destroy everything the courageous men and women of the Rebel Alliance fought so hard to build. The explosive confrontation that results is a towering epic of action, invention, mystery, and spectacle on a galactic scale--in short, a story worthy of the name Star Wars.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,196,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible