Spurgeon: A New Biography

by Arnold A. Dallimore

This book will meet the need of those completely ignorant of Spurgeon and his vast achievements, but will stir also the interest of all who value his unique ministry.

Arnold Dallimore gives an excellent survey of the life of Charles H. Spurgeon. "The Prince of Preachers" was a giant figure in Christianity in the 1800s. Dallimore gives a great survey of his theology, insight into his methodology, and challenges the reader with the passion that drove Spurgeon to accomplish so much for the Kingdom of God. At 240 pages, this is an easy read and will be encouraging to anyone interested in accomplishing much for the Lord Jesus Christ. ( )
  RobSumrall | May 14, 2016 |
Dallimore's "New Biography" is a fast paced easy read. It has a satisfying but non-exciting flavor to it. I am quite glad that I have started with this book. It seemed like the 2 vol. autobiography (which I will certainly move onto next)was too much of a commitment for a first biography and Ian Murray's "Forgotten Spurgeon" was too specific. So Dallimore's work certainly has a place among the many biographies of the Prince of Preachers. I appreciated the even survey of the book. He doesn't drill down too much into any period of his life but you don't feel like he skipped anything. You simply feel curious... curious for more sermons and journal entries and I found myself especially curious as to what made this man tick internally. If I may make a criticism of a biographical survey, I found his chapter on Spurgeon's character to be dissatisfying. There was meager discussion of Spurgeon's struggle with depression, something I'm extremely interested in. I was also slightly disappointed by the author's change in tone when he discussed Spurgeon's tobacco and alcohol preferences... though the selected quotes are quite memorable. I was also pleased that it was, as one expects from The Banner of Truth, a good hearty paperback that won't yellow or dissolve in 5-10 years. By the way, its cheaper over at the Westminster online bookstore. All in all, it was a good book, but not one I'll read again. ( )
1 vote nathan.c.moore | Oct 1, 2012 |
This biography is a great introduction to the life of one of history's greatest pastors. Dallimore is a professional historian and excellent writer who is able to summarize sympathetically and accurately the story of Spurgeon. Good introductory work!
  MSBC | Apr 8, 2010 |

This will meet the need of those who do not know of Spurgeon and his vast achievements but will also stir the interest of all who value a unique ministry, yielding 62 volumes of "deathless" sermons and many other highly valuable publications. 272 pages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,717,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible