The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abé

The Sweetest Dark

by Shana Abé

Series: The Sweetest Dark (1)

1994986,104 (3.92)5

This book barely held my attention at all. I finished it in hopes of greater excitement; also dragons. Not really my cuppa. The premise is neat enough with the shape-shifting and whatnot. Where you lose me is the remaining dormant until a star masquerading as a person awakens you. I do not think so, but I didn't write it. So what do I know? From what I do know of dragon lore, their hides are impenetrable; this makes later scenes in the novel a tad tough to choke down, realistically within the universe created.

I give this two stars because the use of imagery was very well done. Other than that this book was a bit of a wash, if I'm being honest: I always strive for that. Cheers all, until next review.
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |
I loved this book!! Charming love story, tastefully done, with some magic woven in. Just a good read. :) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
The Sweetest Dark follows Eleanor “Lora” Jones as she's shipped from the orphanage (and the time she spent in an insane asylum because of the voices and songs in her head) to a elite Girls Boarding school on the English Coast. The novel is set during World War I,an interesting backdrop to the story.I really liked Lora's character and the fact that she struggled her whole life with the thought that maybe she wasn’t supernatural but was actually just crazy. Also, Lora wasn’t the type of heroine to let people walk all over her. When the upper class girls at Iverson, bullied her Lora didn’t sit back and take it, she fought back. Lora never really lost that tough girl exterior that she had acquired at the orphanage and the brutality that life there entailed.

There was also a bit of a love triangle that was and it wasn't really a love triangle in The Sweetest Dark. It was obvious all along who Lora loved and actually the romance added to the story rather then detracted from it. Jesse's the handsome school groundskeeper and he's described as being mute and simple, except that it never stopped him talking to Lora. It was Jesse who helped her discover what she truly is and I loved the journey they took together. Then there was Armand , the younger son of the Duke, who had been raised a life of a privileged upper crust boy.I really liked how much his character changed throughout the novel. At first he was the bored aristocrat and by the end, he was so much more. I can’t wait to see how his character changes and adapts in The Darkest Night.

I enjoyed the bittersweet ending in the Sweetest Dark. While I could see what was coming, I was still surprised. I'm now eagerly awaiting the sequel The Darkest Night and I can’t wait to see what happens next!
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Mar 19, 2016 |
Thank you to Random House Publishing Group for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book was one of the many that have been sitting on my TBR forever. Even after I gained a galley copy--it sat on my digital-shelf for a long time. Two weeks ago I was bored so I figured I would read a few pages of this book to see if I'd put it further down on my shelf, or keep it where it was and get to it in a month or so. So I read the beginning. Then I read the first chapter....then, more. Finally I realized this book would have to wait one more week so I could finish what I was reading and devour it. Basically, The Sweetest Dark cut in my tbr line. My other books were furious. "No one cuts in line!" They ranted, but I didn't care. What was it that caused me to drop everything and read this?! It was the writing. The way it was written. That's what hooked me. Like, immediately.

Besides the fact that I loved loved the writing so much (it's one of those uniquely written novels that just shreds competition)--I started to really get attached to Lora. And the story. ooh what a story! Lora is so cool, though. You think she's going to be all waif-like and sensitive and polite...but whoa..she's got guts. And, by the time she gets to Iverson and away from London-- I was kinda like "duh" to myself because, it makes sense. Being an orphan and all, she kinda had to have gumption. But being an orphan doesn't give you amazing wit, necessarily. Lora's awesome. I picture her a little uglier than the model on the cover. More plain. Bigger eyes and more of a dirty blonde-brown hair.

I don't really wanna discuss the story because I really enjoyed the fact that I didn't even remember the blurb by the time I started reading! I forgot it was about dragons (sorry, but I assume you know that if you're reading this). It didnt feel like a fantasy novel, though. Not entirely. I read a lot of historical fiction and it could almost be labelled that, but I like that this was young adult.

I have nothing negative to say about this book. The only thing is the ending was a bit rushed. But, as I pictured it, sometimes life events happen so unexpectedly and quickly it feels rushed. If this happens in real life, surely, it could happen in novels!? The fact that I never suspected where the book would lead--why would this be a negative? It's a big positive. ^_^

The author is my new obsession. I'm going to read all her other books, starting with The Deepest Night. I can't wait to read it and find out what happens! ( )
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, which looked to be just another standard issue YA paranormal romance. However, Shana Abe's hypnotic writing, the WWI-era setting, and the unique mythology elevate The Sweetest Dark above the rest of the pack. ( )
  MadameWho | Dec 11, 2014 |

Shana Abéprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amato, BiancaReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all my readers - Thank you for taking this journey with me
Are your eyes truly open?

Chosen to be a charity student at a boarding school in World War I England, sixteen-year-old Lora discovers her long latent magical powers just in time to battle an evil bent on decimating the school.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible