The Cost of Hope: A Memoir by Amanda Bennett

The Cost of Hope: A Memoir (edition 2012)

by Amanda Bennett

Member:SignoraEdie
Title:The Cost of Hope: A Memoir
Authors:Amanda Bennett
Info:Random House (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 240 pages

The Cost of Hope: A Memoir by Amanda Bennett

Recently added byyougotamber, private library, larsencp, Anelhe47, princess_mischa, live4tea, papertygers, cef1269, srdr

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Amanda Bennett meets Terence Foley while on assignment in China, the last thing she expects is to marry him. Their marriage brings with it great passion, deep love and respect, two children, and a life together over two decades. Then comes a terrible illness, and the fight to win a longer life for Terence. This memoir chronicles the extraordinary measures Amanda and Terence take to preserve not only to save Terence's life but also the life of their family as well as their ongoing hope for life. After his death, Bennett uses her skills as investigative reporter to determine the cost of their mission of hope. What she discovers raises important questions many people face, and vital issues about the intricacies of America's healthcare system. At first I was reluctant to read this memoir—anticipating a deep sadness, but at times I found it surprisingly joyful. I believe that this memoir along with the Times article on the cost of heathcare by Steven Brill will help readers understand the complexity of our healthcare system both financially and emotionally. 4 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Mar 26, 2013 |
Heard about this on the Diane Rhem show. Ms. Bennett's husband's battle with cancer and all the treatments and expense that they pursued and later, as she grappled with all the aftermath, she wonders how many people go after treatments with so much false hope and end up costing all our systems so much. Also realized how many different systems there are for charging - insurance companies cut deals so they pay far less than uninsured people are charged, etc. Well written, interesting book. ( )
  Jonlyn | Jan 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good book. It’s a realistic love story – two interesting, head strong people finding each other and creating a life together. Foley is wonderfully eccentric, Amanda Bennett affectionately recalls the best and the worst. It is also timely, with our health services being under scrutiny – this book provides examples of medical care costs that are inconsistent and services that are over used. ( )
  srtsrt | Dec 16, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I just finished reading “The Cost of Hope” written by Amanda Bennett. I requested it as an Advanced Reader’s Copy through Librarything.com many months ago because at the time I was researching our health care system and trying to see what changes might make it more effective. Since the novel was about the author’s experience of her husband’s illness and death, and since the author was a newspaper journalist, I expected it to be filled with data.
Then, for the longest time, I allowed the book to linger on my book shelf, reluctant to pick it up and get into the material. Maybe it was because I had just experienced the death of my mother and was no eager to revisit my emotions. Maybe it was because I wanted to get lost in a story, not data. So, when I finally did open the book, I was unprepared for what awaited me.
I found “The Cost of Hope” to be more of a personal memoir than a research text. It is the story of Amanda and Terrence…husband and wife, lovers, sparring partners, who met while both were working in China 1983. They are an unlikely couple. Rather than walking through life in step together, they seem to remind me of two spirited dogs each on their own leash, pulling in different directions while a dog walker tries to navigate them down a path. They fall in love, or at least realize that they want to spend their lives together, and embark on a journey that takes them to various locations, jobs, homes, vocations and avocations, all the time supporting each other and also constantly bumping into each other.
Terence becomes ill. It is the dreaded C word and their lives start down a new path. As their personal story continues, interjected into the narrative are the details of their experiences with various doctors, interventions and treatments, the confusion and the quest of trying to beat this demon that has invaded their life. The book presents a cast of innumerable characters who are, each in their own sometimes bumbling way, just trying to solve a dilemma. I came to realize that no ONE has the right answer. There is a good deal of chance in the system. Hidden characters in the plot, read test results, put forth suggestions and on the basis of who reads or acknowledges what, a path is taken.
The title, “The COST of Hope,” lead me to think it was going to talk about the monetary expense that is so huge and so hidden from the patient…and the book does that. But more than that, it talks about the other “costs” of hope. The cost that is extracted from all those who participate in the journey…the patient, the family members, the medical personnel…the intangible cost of continuing to seek and believe that good news and relief is just around the corner.
In the end, I was left with the belief that, while the financial cost is surely something to be questioned and looked at, the intangible cost may well be worth it. It is the clinging to this HOPE that continues to give meaning and direction to their lives, that motivates them to face each day with an energy to continue to participate in life. And that is the main message I was left with.
I appreciated most the last chapter recounting Terrence’s death. Not morbid but very realistic, it recalled to me my own experience of being with my mother through this process and the writing gave it dignity. Then the ending “Afterword” left me with an appreciation for the flow of life and the humanity of the people who in their own feeble and often bumbling way hold the entire medical system together. Does it all COST too much, in the financial sense? Yes. Does the billing process not make sense? Yes. Is there a great deal of chance in the system? Yes. Is medical care more accessible to some over others? Yes. Do all the actors in this drama have their own agendas? Yes. And yet, in spite of all of this, somehow the human spirit triumphs. And in the end, I was left with a sense of HOPE. ( )
  SignoraEdie | Nov 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This memoir is an interesting combination of medical memoir and love story. I found both aspects to be worthwhile. Bennett's story of her marriage was unique and fascinating in it's quirkiness. On the medical side, the details of treatment and costs of the healthcare system was interesting. Yes, it was strange to find these two elements in a single book, but it worked! I recommend this one.
  checkadawson | Oct 3, 2012 |
For Terry and Georgia
The foreign correspondent's apartment not far from mine in Peking is warm with music and laughter.
As I begin to think about all that we have done and all that we -- or someone -- has spent to keep Terence alive, a test keeps popping into my head: Would you have paid for this if it had been your own money?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140006984X, Hardcover)

From Pulitzer Prize winner Amanda Bennett comes a moving, eye-opening, and beautifully written memoir—a love story of two unusual people, their complex marriage and deep devotion, and finally, Bennett’s quest to save her husband’s life.

When Wall Street Journal reporter Amanda Bennett meets the eccentric, infuriating, yet somehow irresistible Terence Bryan Foley while on assignment in China, the last thing she expects is to marry him. They are so different—classic and bohemian, bow ties and batik, quirky and sensible. But Terence is persistent. “You are going to be somebody,” he tells her. “You’re going to need somebody to take care of you.” Though initially as combative as their courtship, their marriage brings with it stormy passion, deep love and respect, two beloved children, and a life together over two decades. Then comes illness, and the fight to win a longer life for Terence.

The Cost of Hope chronicles the extraordinary measures Amanda and Terence take to preserve not only Terence’s life but also the life of their family. After his death, Bennett uses her skills as a veteran investigative reporter to determine the cost of their mission of hope. What she discovers raises important questions many people face, and vital issues about the intricacies of America’s healthcare system.

Rich in humor, insight, and candor, The Cost of Hope is an unforgettable memoir, an inspiring personal story that sheds light on one of the most important turning points in life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:32 -0400)

From Pulitzer Prize winner Amanda Bennett comes a moving, eye-opening, and beautifully written memoir--a love story of two unusual people, their complex marriage and deep devotion, and finally, Bennett's quest to save her husband's life.

Amanda Bennett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible