Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing Series,…

Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing Series, Book 8) (edition 1999)

by Michael A. Stackpole

Member:Shijuro
Title:Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing Series, Book 8)
Authors:Michael A. Stackpole
Info:Spectra (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, read
Tags:SF, StarWars

Isard's Revenge by Michael A. Stackpole

1990s (98)

scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I liked the parts where they were actually in their cockpits. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
I liked the parts where they were actually in their cockpits. ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
The sound effects and music made the story more fun than it otherwise might have been. Anthony Heald did a good job of reading it. The scene with the X-Wings ripping through the AT-AT's (as seen on the cover) reminded me of a Star Wars RPG game I played in my youth, wherein I took an X-Wing against an AT-AT and ripped through it - prompting us all to ask - why didn't the rebels send their X-Wings against the AT-ATs on Hoth? (Our answer was that X-Wings couldn't actually fly on planets - that they had to take off with rocket-like speed to escape the gravity, and why Luke had to crash-land his X-Wing on Dagobah, and could only glide to a landing like the space shuttle - obviously none of that true as the X-Wings could take on the AT-ATs in this book, again prompting the question - why didn't the rebels use X-Wings against the AT-ATs on Hoth?)

Anyway, my biggest problem with the story was character development - there was none. Everyone was logical and was easily swayed by logical argument, something that rarely happens in real life. Also, the end where Asyr decides to conveniently use her assumed death to avoid dealing with her bi-racial marriage to change the Bothan culture from within was terrible. Seriously? That's like a war hero from Iraq coming to America, presumed dead, to change the American culture. That was a cop-out on the author's part, and horribly unrealistic. Plus, the pilots who knew she was alive promised to keep her secret, even though one of their friends was hurt by this? Come on.

My second biggest problem was that too many opportunities were wasted for real sacrifice. Everyone presumed dead lived through the experience. No one on the good guy side actually died. Wouldn't it be nice for our soldiers if it really happened that way in war? Even in the movies, Ewoks and rebel soldiers died.

My third biggest problem was that too many of the characters had names that were too similar when read. Iella, Ooryl, Asyr, and Isard don't sound very different when read. There were WAY too many characters and planet names with a K sound (Krennel, Corann, etc). I got lost on which pilot was which. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
X-Wing - Isard's Revenge: Clinging to the Past
Before I get into this novel, I have to say that I have a natural distaste for authors who feel that they can only cling to material they've previously created. I thought that Allston did a great job of expanding this series of novels by adding new faces (pun intended) and plots. With Stackpole's anticipated return to the series, he really just ignored most of what Allston did and dove right back to where he left off with Rogue Squadron's story. To me, that has always seemed like a lazy approach. I've seen it time and again with other writers within the EU - even Zahn who is often so highly regarded by the fanbase (Thrawn, Thrawn, Thrawn - lather/rinse/repeat).

Having said all of that, I thought that this novel was a rather interesting read. It had plenty of action and intrigue that we've come to expect from the X-Wing series, plus it contained several side-plots. I enjoyed the Mirax/Iella investigation as well as the little story of Whistler leading the bold escape with Gate and their unlikely travels (reminiscent of an R2/3P0 escapade). The only fault I give to the story is that it felt like it was trying to be too clever. The constant uncertainty about Isard's true motivations and intentions throughout the novel made it difficult for me to keep the narrative straight in my head. I was constantly warring with myself to the tune of "Is this what's really going down or is this just what she wants us to think? She said THIS to Krennel but told Antilles THAT so which is the truth, which is the lie, and who is being played against who?" Of course, the book on Isard is trust nothing so I believed nothing, but it turned out that at least some of the lies were half-truths.

I guess I tend to like my books with easy-to-grasp twists. This is why I don't tend to enjoy spy thrillers. I can handle the twists if you spell them out for me clearly and stick to it. In the end, though, it was a pleasurable read with familiar faces and it does a nice job of filling in some timeline gaps. I felt that the foreshadowing of "I Jedi" was a bit blatant (and slightly obnoxious) but you can't blame Stackpole for the marketing ploy. ( )
  skip_wiley | Oct 20, 2014 |

Michael A. Stackpoleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Peet James and Peter Schweighofer

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to play in this universe in new and wondrous ways.
Sithspawn!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553579037, Mass Market Paperback)

Michael A. Stackpole returns as author of the eighth book in the X-Wing series, taking over again after three novels from Aaron Allston. Wedge Antilles has transferred back from Wraith to Rogue Squadron, and many of the characters from Stackpole's first four books reappear, including Ysanne Isard, the villain of Book 4, The Bacta War.

Now that Grand Admiral Thrawn is dead, the New Republic wants to go after the warlords and decides to make an example of Krennel, who murdered a whole family in his rise to power. But Krennel has an unexpected ally: the treacherous Isard, whom the Rogues thought they had killed, is now plotting their downfall. She uses New Republic prisoners, with whom Rogue pilot Corran Horn was held for a while, as bait. The plot twists and turns, sometimes confusingly, as Krennel, Isard, and the Rogues try to outguess one another.

As ever in the X-Wing books, there are plenty of space battles, with Wedge Antilles, now promoted to general, leading the way. Meanwhile, the aversion Imperials feel toward nonhumans and the tensions between the various species making up the New Republic provide a couple of subplots that make this a thoughtful, action-packed installment in the series. --Liz Sourbut, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:18 -0400)

After having been instrumental in defeating Thrawn, the Rogues return to Coruscant to celebrate their great victory. It is here that they make a terrible discovery-Ysanne Isard did not die at Thyferra and it is she who has been leaving a trail of dead bodies of those who were with Corran Horn on the Lusankya. Now it's up to the Rogues to rescue their compatriots and foil the remnants of the Empire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,229,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible