A Game of Proof (The trials of Sarah Newby)…

A Game of Proof (The trials of Sarah Newby) (edition 2011)

by Tim Vicary

Member:ddeej56
Title:A Game of Proof (The trials of Sarah Newby)
Authors:Tim Vicary
Info:
Collections:Your library, To read, Kindle - iPod
Tags:ebook, kindle, novel, mystery, female lawyer, defend son

A Game of Proof by Tim Vicary

longer than needed, but good read and set in my old stomping ground so brought back memories. ( )
  MickBrooke | Jan 2, 2019 |
Sarah is a lawyer who has had to come up the hard way after becoming a mother at a very young age. This means that she can be very single-minded about her career.

When she is called upon to defend an alleged rapist in a very high-profile case no-one can see the consequences and how her family will change for ever.

I really like this book and the character of Sarah who would definitely be someone good to have on your side. ( )
  Northern_Light | Dec 20, 2016 |
I was really torn with giving this book 3 stars. I liked the story part of the book but the writing style left a lot to be desired. I would say just based on the story alone that it was probably a 2.5 but I feel generous and wanted to go ahead and round it up just to be nice :)
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I bought this book on a whim, not expecting too much of it. It was free on the kindle at the time so I was apprehending a rather dry crime read; Tim Vicary dispelled this prejudice very quickly indeed. A Game of Proof is a compelling courtroom drama, expertly telling the story of Sarah Newby: a resilient, hard working barrister who not only has to cunningly defend a potential rapist but ultimately ends up defending her own son. At the same time as juggling rather prominent family issues which seem to stem from her very underprivileged childhood. Set in York, this is a perfect mystery crime novel which keeps the reader guessing until the end and skilfully guides the reader through the complex British legal system.

I loved this book and highly recommend it, I did a full book review on my blog

I am excited to read the next 2! ( )
  LauraStone200 | Dec 30, 2014 |
Sarah Newby is a barrister in a rather unique club. Her education began at 16 while rearing her first child. Divorced, remarried, a mother, and a student while still in her teens was hard enough. As time goes on she discovers her second marriage is not all it's cracked up to be either. Personal matters aside, she is tough, honest and fair however much any barrister (lawyer) can possess those traits.

If you are not a native of the UK you'll find slang words and phrases to be odd at first but you do get used to the language and it is certainly not any kind of barrier to reading the story. It sort of makes for interesting reading altogether.

In this tale, Sarah's first born child, a son, Simon, is charged with a vicious attack on his ex-girlfriend that includes rape and finally her murder. He insists she become his barrister and although ill advised, she acquiesced to his plea for her as no one else has his best interest truly at heart.

Fast paced; quick read; interesting all the way through. I enjoyed this story with it's many villains, police goofs, and detailed trial information.

Some things to know: there are syntax errors, obvious words left out in places where you can assume and provide the correct syntax; typos too. However, not enough so as to hamper your reading ability or to take away from the flow of the work.

I'm a rather tough grader so a "3 of 5" is really good! Enjoyed this book very much. Read it over a two day period, but am a very fast reader.

HIGHLY recommended to others who enjoy murder mysteries that follow accused through the trial process. :D ( )
  VerbatimEB | Sep 9, 2012 |

A mother's worst nightmare - can her son be guilty of murder?

From the Author

This is a tale about a tough lady barrister - a British trial lawyer. When it was first published in hardback my agent and editor persuaded me that no one would read a crime thriller with a female main character written by a man, so, reluctantly, I used the pseudonym Megan Stark. But I was always uncomfortable with this - in fact now I think they were plain wrong! So here's the truth - I'm a happily married man with two grown-up daughters, one of whom is now a barrister herself. My family and workplace are full of lots of confident, assertive women, and I find them pretty interesting, so that's the sort of person I chose to write about. But don't worry, there are men in this story too. Her would-be lover, detective Terry Bateson, a single father, is very definitely male. Very much so. Tall, handsome, tragically flawed - just like me, in fact!
[retrieved 9/5/2013 from Amazon.com]

A mother's worst nightmare - can her son be guilty of murder? Sarah Newby, who left school at 15, and was living as a teenage single parent on an inner-city estate, has worked her way up to begin a career as a criminal barrister. But what should she do when her own son, Simon, is arrested and charged with a series of brutal rapes and murders? Has Sarah, in her single-minded determination to create a career for herself, neglected her son so much that she no longer knows him? He has often lied to her in the past, so how can she trust him when he says he is innocent this time? And what should she do when she herself uncovers evidence that seems to suggest his guilt?… (more)

Tim Vicary is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,461,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible