Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park (1990)

by Michael Crichton

Series: Jurassic Park (1)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel Of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When The Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (207)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (217)

People bring dinosaurs back to life to create a park with them, a tourist attraction, a way to make money. Obviously stuff goes wrong. I have not seen the movie, so naturally I read the book first. I really enjoyed Jurassic Park!

I was interested from the beginning. I would have thought with all the science and learning going on that it would have felt pretentious. I'm sort of sensitive when it comes to books feeling pretentious and it irks me, but that was not the case here! Rather than feeling irritated, I was interesting in learning about this world. I don't believe all the science is actually true (and as much is mentioned in the back of the book) but it was still very fun to read as well as got me interested to learn about things now. I've never cared about Dinosaurs but this book may have changed that.

The characters mostly felt real and fun to read about. Lex, an 8 year old girl, was rather annoying and at times didn't feel like an actual kid to me but that could have just been me. She didn't feel older, it was more like she was constantly a brat and in the face of danger no less. Also she didn't get to eat for a long time (because things) and when food was within reach, despite being starving for quite awhile, she was still picky and bratty about it. Girl, obviously you ain't as hungry as you claim then...insisting on non-existent Ice cream.

What gets me about her is in relation to her 10 year old brother Tim who was apparently very smart and responsible, while his 8 year old sister was an unbelievable brat, annoying and putting them in danger, but Tim, the barely older boy, was amazing and helped save the day. Yeah..that kinda irked me. At the same time what do I know? They are kids and people are different and how does one know how people would react to seeing live dinosaurs anyway, it's fiction.

That makes it sound like I was more irked than I actually was. For the most part I loved everything about this book! I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happened next. It was also thought-provoking at times and had me think about things. The pacing was steady, it was readable, fun, exciting, and thought-provoking. I have to watch the movie!

It can be read as a stand-alone and if I heard correctly was originally ment to be a stand-alone, but he was pressured by the movie people and fans to create a sequel, The Lost World. I am interested to know what happens next and hope to get to it someday. ( )
  Wickedjr89 | Jul 15, 2017 |
An inventive and perfectly-paced thriller. The story is one known to everyone who hasn't been living under a rock, so I won't waste time going over it. Suffice to say that Spielberg and co. kept their film very faithful to the book, no doubt because of its strong world-building and pacey, almost movie-like prose.

It really does tear along, despite oodles of scientific exposition (even when some of the characters talk like encyclopaedias, for some reason it doesn't grate). Author Michael Crichton is excellent at creating a sense of impending doom early in the novel, even better at keeping track of things as the disaster unfolds – he even makes graphs interesting – and intensely gripping when it comes to the action and carnage. He makes his dinosaurs come alive: they behave like animals, displaying traits similar to modern birds and reptiles. This really makes his world believable and threatening – a difficult skill (one of the few flaws in the recent franchise reboot Jurassic World was how it seemed the dinosaurs' actions were dictated by the requirements of the plot, rather than the plot seeming to be driven by the dinosaurs' unpredictable behaviour). Crichton is a bit clumsy at times with the anti-science hubris stuff, but it comes across as more of a passionate quirk than a flaw. It doesn't burn any of the reserves of goodwill built up throughout the book, which is an excellent feat of imagination and storytelling. Crichton's footprint on popular culture is larger and more emphatic than that of a tyrannosaur's. ( )
  MikeFutcher | Jun 21, 2017 |
Prefer the movie ( )
  4bonasa | May 19, 2017 |
This is my favourite book by my favourite author and coincidentally my favourite movie of all time (I'm not much of a movie goer). I first read Jurassic Park when I was ten. A lot of it made no sense to me. Chrichton's in depth technical descriptions and actual computer lingo were too much for a grade schooler in the era of floppy dicks. This is the first time I ever came back to it as an adult and I found myself underwhelmed.

I caught typos throughout that editing should have caught at some point in the last 25 years. Lex irritated me to no end. Ellie had such a diminished role. The urgency of the movie was absent in the novel. Despite the rather dire situation in the park the sense of urgency was.... missing. They drive around in their jeeps, coming and going from the visitor centre, as if there was nothing going on!

I've loved this book for 20 years in part because it was so different from the movie which meant I had two unbelievable stories to love. But 20 years later, coming back to it as an adult and a critical reader, I was let down.

I will always love Jurassic Park. This novel was an enormous part of my childhood and Michael Chrichton was an enormous part of my development as a reader. Perhaps, 20 years from now I'll come back again to visit the park that has captured our hearts the way John Hammond always dreamed, and see it differently again. ( )
  AnaThaylen | Mar 3, 2017 |
This novel is one of the wildest adventures I have read, and I have read a whole lot of adventures. Anyway the idea of reproducing dinosaurs by getting the DNA from mosquitoes from millions of years ago is pretty insane. It's a whole lot to think about, they clone the DNA and make dinosaurs. So thinking about it John Hammond decided to make an island with these dinosaurs not only for money but also to blow kids out of their minds. His pesky lawyer Donald Gennaro is worried about the dinosaurs escaping and decides it needs a inspection. They get a mathematician (Ian Malcom) a paleontologist (Alan Grant) and a paleobotanist (Ellie Sattler). They explore this island when it breaks down and it gets way out of control.
The quest to restore power is great and very complicated. Tim, the older brother of his sister Lex, follows Alan Grant along with Lex in order to survive. And who better to be with in a dino disaster then a dino expert? Ian is rammed into by a T-Rex and then on top of having to restore power they also have to restore the health of the mathematician. It's a great struggle but eventually they get to the control room no longer containing scientists and technicians. They turn the power back on finally and call for help and with great struggle get off the island, and some, but not all, are alive.
  ZacheryJ.BG3 | Feb 10, 2017 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible