Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park (1990)

by Michael Crichton

Series: Jurassic Park (1)

Recently added byKaisaEeva, kewlgeek, celticwife, private library, DL_Orton
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    Meg by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (164)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (174)
Here we have the first of my cruise reading for this past week.

I’ve been a fan of the movie since it came out, but never read the book. I bought the book with every expectation of reading it back when the movie came out, but I never seemed to get around to it. But, with Jurassic World coming out I figured it was about time, and it was marvelous.

One thing I always find myself looking for when I read books turned into films (especially if I read them after seeing the movie) is the differences between the two. And in Jurassic Park there are quite a few. I won’t go over them, because some of them are quite spoiler heavy, but it was interesting to see a slightly different chain of events, a few scenes that were completely cut (and used later in Jurassic Park II and III), character alterations and combinations, and of course the Raptor nest at the end (that would have been cool to see on film).

I feel like one of the biggest changes in the film version was the characterization of John Hammond. In the film I found myself more on his side than I did in the book. He does seem like more the megalomaniac that Ian Malcolm paints him as. And Malcolm! Just as much a mathematical badass as in the film. I really enjoyed the more in-depth look at his theories throughout the story. In fact, I’d like to explore them a little further, so I plan on researching the works that Crichton used for his background information.

Overall, this is definitely a great read, and I think both those who have and have not seen the film can enjoy the book. I can certainly see why it received so much praise and got the interest of Spielberg so quickly. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 22, 2015 |
This is honestly one of the most well-written books I have ever read.

With enough science to balance out the suspense and thrill, this is truly a masterpiece.

I will admit, I only read it because of the movie and one of my relatives had a copy laying around. But I am so glad I read it. I loved the well-researched storyline and the continual message that people today really have no idea what dinosaurs were like. With concepts like whether dinosaurs were warm-blooded, nesting behavior, intellect, and hunting strategies, this book presents interesting speculation. At times the text was predictably violent. But through suspense and cliffhangers it really keeps the reader engaged.

My only complaint was that I would have liked to see more female characters. Dr. Sattler was great, but the only other main female was Lex, who was the most annoying 8-year-old I've ever encountered.

Overall a great book that I definitely recommend. ( )
1 vote CareBear36 | Jun 10, 2015 |
I do wonder if I'd like this as much if I re-read it. I read Congo and Sphere twice and enjoyed them both times, after all.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Malcolm is my favorite. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 20, 2015 |
This book is about a secret island that has living dinosaurs. the island is located in Costa Rica. But nobody knows about the dinosaurs except the company that made them which is a bad company but later after the company made the dinosaurs they figured out that it was a big mistake. The American government figured this out and asked the researchers that were supplying the company with the bones if they knew what was happening but they didn't because the company was keeping it it highly classified until they open the park because the park is supposed to be a theme park. The first people to tour the island end up getting lost and cant find there way out so they have to survive in there with the dinousaurs the herbavours were easy to live with but the carnivours were almsot impossible the live with. every one in the group was dying except for a family of a mom a little girl and a dad. They had security gaurds go in with them bu they still died eventually in the end they all died except for the family they finally escaped.

The reason why i gave this book the rating that i did was because in enjoyed this book alot. I gave this book a good rating because it was a very action packed book and it made you want to feel scared for them. The book also made me think about what i would do in that situation. I was never bored reading this book it always suprised me i was never ablle to guess the next part. The book was very emotional and very action packed. ( )
  nicholasvb1 | Mar 16, 2015 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Prologue
Out of curiosity, she looked in the little English dictionary, and to her surprise she found the word there, too:
raptorn[deriv. of L. raptor plunderer, fr. raptus]: bird of prey.
Introduction
Parties to that settlement, including the distinguished scientific board of advisors, signed a nondisclosure agreement, and none will speak about what happened; but many of the principal figures in the "InGen incident" are not signatories, and were willing to discuss the remarkable events leading up to those final two days in August 1989 on a remote island off the west coast of Costa Rica.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now mankind's most thrilling fantasies have just come true. Creatures extinct for eons roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them - for a price.

Until something goes wrong...

Der erfolgreiche Film "Jurassic Park" von Steven Spielberg basiert auf dem Roman von Michael Crichton. Der erfolgreiche Schriftsteller und Regisseur (u.a "Westworld" und "Coma" ersann die Geschichte um die Auferstehung der Dinosaurier und entfachte damit einen erneuten Boom auf die urzeitlichen Wesen, dessen Echo immer noch nicht zum Erliegen gekommen ist. Das Buch bietet Unterhaltung auf allerhöchstem Niveau, dabei schneidet der erste Teil des Romans, in dem es um die Klonierung der Dinosaurier geht bei weitem besser ab als der zweite Teil, der eher eine Verfolgungsjagd sowie Kampfszenen zwischen Mensch und Tier bietet. Denoch hat das Werk des amerikanischen Bestsellerautoren fünf Sterne verdient, das es für spannende Unterhaltung mit Niveau sorgt.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:57 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible