Jurassic Park: A Novel by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park: A Novel (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Michael Crichton

Member:mfagan
Title:Jurassic Park: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Ballantine Books (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (223)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (234)
I loved this! I am quite biased, I will admit, because the movie has been one of my absolute favorites since I was little. I don't think the book was better and let me tell you why: they were different in all the right ways. The movie, as you probably know, is a thrilling adrenaline-filled adventure. The book is also thrilling, but in a different way. I've read that some readers' biggest issue with the book was that it was too technical, but I disagree. I found the science and math behind the creation of the park to be really intriguing but still accessible, and I am not a science or math person. It usually makes my brain hurt. But in Jurassic Park is was a necessary tool to help provide the (what I though was) underlying message and social commentary- unchecked scientific power is just as dangerous any other unchecked power. Now, maybe I am reading too much into it all but I don't care! I loved it. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Truly a masterpiece of science fiction; a thriller among thrillers. The "science" is fascinating and the story is suspenseful and fast-paced. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
I sat reading this book instead of doing my homework one day in college. I was so enthralled that after I finished it, I immediately read it again! ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
I've avoided this one as I don't particularly like horror or being scared but recently decided that I really ought to read this book. I like Michael Crichton's writing and needed a horror/series book for a challenge and this was a good opportunity to read this book. I was also very pleasantly surprised to realize this book fits espionage tag for PBT as it deals with industrial espionage. Everyone but me probably has seen the film and knew more about the book than I did. This is a story that was about genetic engineering and was engaging in a very plausible way. I could see this happening. I could see the corporate greed creating Park without considering the potential consequences. The book is a political and a moral statement; I like that about Crichton's books. He makes statements without it ruining the story. It was a great introduction about chaos theory and I learned a bit about dinosaurs that I hadn't fully known. Since it was written in 1990, I thought it was very timely story that still is applicable. It is the first of the series so the book leaves you hanging a bit. Rating 4.83 ( )
  Kristelh | Aug 19, 2018 |
I have seen all the Jurassic park movies a few times as my husband is a big fan but for some reason I had never gotten around to reading the book. I've enjoyed a few of Crichton's book so I wasn't surprised that I really enjoyed this one as well. While I'm not usually a big fan of the movie making big changes from the book I was happy with a few of the changes that had been made, especially the character of Lex. She was such a ridiculous child and I didn't think it was believable that anyone could be such a brat in the middle of being chased by dinosaurs! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 6, 2018 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,698,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible