Jurassic Park: A Novel by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park: A Novel (original 1990; edition 2012)

by Michael Crichton (Author)

Member:john257hopper
Title:Jurassic Park: A Novel
Authors:Michael Crichton (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), 466 pages
Collections:Your library, Owned, eBooks
Tags:eBook, fiction, SF, 2017, Kindle Store

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When The Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (212)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (222)
Who hasn't thought about bringing dinosaurs back? Why haven't we actually done it? Because dinosaurs are bada** killers.

A billionaire gets the smart idea of cloning dinosaurs, yeah that's not dangerous or anything. So he gets these idiot scientists to genetically grow dinosaur eggs and hatch real life dinosaurs in a laboratory by cloning their DNA. This moronic billionaire thinks I can make money by building a theme park/ dinosaur preserve. Oh this will be perfectly safe because I'll just buy them their own island with electric fences. WRONG!
A mathematician who is an expert in chaos theory obviously has the brains to tell them that hey these dinosaurs are going to be unstable. But hey the billionaire gots money and money can fix everything, but unfortunately not his stupid attitude. Another genetics firm attempts to steal some frozen embryos. Two kids, a safari guide and a paleontologist are apparantly smarter than a billionaire and a team of scientists because WOOT they save some of these idiots lives. This book is terrifying because it is believable that we as humans are stupid enough to try something like this. ( )
  Jychelle88 | Oct 16, 2017 |
I saw the movie first (it's actually one of my favourite movies) and this book is WAY more sad and in depth. ( )
  Heldin | Oct 15, 2017 |
I have always loved the Jurassic Park films, but had never read the books. Now, I have begun the Lost World. The movies are great, but the book is better, way better. There was a lot of artistic license taken with the blockbuster films... I would have loved to see a bit more of the book action in the movies.

The gist of the storyline...John Hammond, a wealthy man, uses his monies to create a theme park with live dinosaurs. When there are a few accidents, it seems his dream is in jeopardy, so he calls in only the best of consultants to take a tour of the park in attempt to get their approval. But, when one employee is blinded by the possibility of gaining his own wealth...a simple tour turns into a deadly adventure....will anyone get out alive? ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
A really excellent book! I'm surprised at what things are extrapolated on, or just completely different from the movie. There are some people who died in the book, I don't think died in the movie, so now I have to go back and see what I forgot as well. It also seems there was a lot more philosophy and insight into technology and how we approach science that is only briefly touched upon in the movie. Some really interesting descriptions of dinosaurs and behaviors, juxtaposed with the fear of huge creatures. ( )
  Pepperwings | Aug 3, 2017 |
I read this years ago and loved it. Helluva page turner. So when my client told me to pick a popular writer of thriller-type novels, and study one of them to get the tone he wants for his novel, I chose JP because I was familiar with it, not just from having read it but from multiple viewings of the film which I love. A familiar work would allow me to study the structure without losing myself in the story. I thought. Turns out I was dead wrong about that. I got caught up immediately.

Because I was interested in how it worked as narrated as well as how it read, I purchased the Audible version of it at a discount, and moved back and forth between it and the ebook. (By the way, it's nice that at least some Kindles will play the audio right along with the ebook. Audio broadens my understanding of a work, and listening while reading, though it slows down the latter dramatically, even though I normally listen at 1.5x the normal speed, is a highly immersive way of approaching the text.

But what about the book??? Yes, okay I'm getting to that. The book. Well... It still counts as a page-turner, no question. I got caught up in the narrative so often that I found I had to consciously slow down and look for the things I wanted to study. Crichton could tell a story! And in that respect, he's like Tolkien, a damn fine storyteller, but kind of a crap writer.

Yeah, I'm sorry if there are Crichton fans out there foaming at the mouth, but the drawbacks of his writing are so clear, and in some cases so dire, that I couldn't overlook them. The most egregious problems are his characters. None of them have real internal lives. Crichton gives lip service to family, exes, jobs and the like, but they're not terribly developed. But this is a thriller, you say, they don't have to be. And I would agree up to a point. But consider:

John Hammond is a joke. He's an uber rich guy who exists for two reasons: First to pay for and supervise the development of the park, and second, to be annoyed when people tell him the park isn't going to work. He's so obtuse that when Ian Malcolm explains things to him, his consistent response is to ask the rest of the people in the room what Malcolm is talking about. There's nothing about him that isn't cardboard, and even the cardboard doesn't ring true.
Ian Malcolm, or as I like to call him Information Dump Malcolm, exists to explain things. From the get go, all he ever does is lecture. He doesn't have conversations, he doesn't connect with anyone. He's like an AI. Say: "Chaos Theory," and off he goes, explaining it. Say: "Look, real dinosaurs," and you get pages of explanation about what's wrong with science today. After a while I just skimmed over his dialogue.
The kids: Two of the most utterly pointless, useless characters ever penned. Lex is so annoying that I kept hoping the T-Rex would gobble her up like an hors d'oeuvre. She never shuts up, never does what she's told, screams, whines, and makes endless noise when everyone is telling her to be quiet or the dinosaurs will eat them. She's an insufferable know-it-all, who knows virtually nothing about anything, and doesn't really want to know anything. All she wants to do is play "pickle" and whine about how none of this is fun and she's hungry. The only time she's bearable is when she's unconscious. Tim is a virtual non-entity, but at least he's an improvement over his sister.
Everybody else: Almost totally interchangeable except for their area of expertise.
I don't really feel like I'm being harsh here either. I'm willing to give props for a compelling story told in such a break-neck fashion that had I not been paying close attention to the text, I might never have caught these problems. Or at least they might not have gotten up my nose so completely. What you have is a decent thriller with a great plot and a damn good hook: cloning dinosaurs. It was timely then and it still is, it plays to our fears and our desires, and Crichton knows how to manipulate both.

I think I'm pretty much finished with this book now, I doubt I'll ever need to read it again unless I want to remind myself of the spare, efficient style of it. Crichton proved to me that the advice about dialogue -- use "said;" the eye skips right over it -- is completely true. His work is an education for any writer, but particularly those who are going to write fast-paced stories.

He tells a great story, and that's really the bottom line. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | Jul 30, 2017 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible