Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) by Michael…

Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1) (original 1990; edition 2012)

by Michael Crichton

Series: Jurassic Park (1)

For use in schools and libraries only. A breakthrough in genetic engineering leads to the development of a technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA, a method that brings about the creation of Jurassic Park, a tourist attraction populated by creatures extinct for eons.
Member:walrii
Title:Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Ballantine Books, Kindle Edition, 466 pages
Rating:*****

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    King Kong by Delos W. Lovelace (Hedgepeth)
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran, wordcauldron)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: humanity creates without knowing
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (244)  French (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (256)
I saw the movie long ago but the book is very much more a scathing critique of science, and was much more science-based than the movie. I had to keep stopping reading because the little girl was so annoying I found myself half wishing she would be eaten by a dinosaur, and also wondering if Michael Crichton had ever met a child or spent any time with one. I felt like the children were based on bad TV and movies stereotypes. ( )
  Tarawyn | Sep 18, 2020 |
When I read this back in '94, I remember jotting in my journal that there was a lot left out of the movie. Then again, is that not often the case with books made into film? Anyhow, a good read. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
I haven't read this in years, but it was one of my very, VERY favorite books when I was 12 years old. I picked up my battered hard cover (sadly missing its dust jacket) the other day, and it was still hugely fun to read. It's possible that some of my enjoyment comes from remembering how the story awed me when I first read it, but I still just really loved the dinosaurs. DINOSAURS. Man. It's super great. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
The book is even better than the movie and Jurassic Park was one of my favorite movies. This perfect blend of scifi, horror and suspense makes for Michael Crichton's best work. RIP. ( )
  tkfinch75 | Jul 8, 2020 |
really fantastic! mathematician's warnings ring just as chillingly true 30 years later with scientists and technologists obsessed with "can i" over "should i". ( )
  piquareste | Jul 7, 2020 |
The Jurassic Park is a novel by Michael Crichton, published by Alfred A. Knopf in 1990. The version I've read is the Hungarian edition, published by Maecenas Könyvkiadó in 1992. Jurassic Park is an adventure story, set in the near future on a dinosaur-based theme park, where everything goes wrong. Crichton's writing is captivating. He is able to show us a believable character in a page or two. I recommend the Jurassic Park book for anyone who would like to read a thrilling adventure story.

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haarala, TarmoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,910,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible