Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Michael Crichton

Member:aqeeliz
Title:Jurassic Park
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:New York : Ballantine, c1990.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:novel, fiction, series, jurassic park, dinosaurs

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel Of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When The Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (205)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (215)
Prefer the movie ( )
  4bonasa | May 19, 2017 |
This is my favourite book by my favourite author and coincidentally my favourite movie of all time (I'm not much of a movie goer). I first read Jurassic Park when I was ten. A lot of it made no sense to me. Chrichton's in depth technical descriptions and actual computer lingo were too much for a grade schooler in the era of floppy dicks. This is the first time I ever came back to it as an adult and I found myself underwhelmed.

I caught typos throughout that editing should have caught at some point in the last 25 years. Lex irritated me to no end. Ellie had such a diminished role. The urgency of the movie was absent in the novel. Despite the rather dire situation in the park the sense of urgency was.... missing. They drive around in their jeeps, coming and going from the visitor centre, as if there was nothing going on!

I've loved this book for 20 years in part because it was so different from the movie which meant I had two unbelievable stories to love. But 20 years later, coming back to it as an adult and a critical reader, I was let down.

I will always love Jurassic Park. This novel was an enormous part of my childhood and Michael Chrichton was an enormous part of my development as a reader. Perhaps, 20 years from now I'll come back again to visit the park that has captured our hearts the way John Hammond always dreamed, and see it differently again. ( )
  AnaThaylen | Mar 3, 2017 |
This novel is one of the wildest adventures I have read, and I have read a whole lot of adventures. Anyway the idea of reproducing dinosaurs by getting the DNA from mosquitoes from millions of years ago is pretty insane. It's a whole lot to think about, they clone the DNA and make dinosaurs. So thinking about it John Hammond decided to make an island with these dinosaurs not only for money but also to blow kids out of their minds. His pesky lawyer Donald Gennaro is worried about the dinosaurs escaping and decides it needs a inspection. They get a mathematician (Ian Malcom) a paleontologist (Alan Grant) and a paleobotanist (Ellie Sattler). They explore this island when it breaks down and it gets way out of control.
The quest to restore power is great and very complicated. Tim, the older brother of his sister Lex, follows Alan Grant along with Lex in order to survive. And who better to be with in a dino disaster then a dino expert? Ian is rammed into by a T-Rex and then on top of having to restore power they also have to restore the health of the mathematician. It's a great struggle but eventually they get to the control room no longer containing scientists and technicians. They turn the power back on finally and call for help and with great struggle get off the island, and some, but not all, are alive.
  ZacheryJ.BG3 | Feb 10, 2017 |
Dinosaurs come to life ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
The two biggest takeaways I had are that Crichton had a sinister view of scientists and that he didn't really understand what they do. Errors abound in his treatment of science from chaos theory to genetics to computer systems to the characteristics of the scientific community.

That being said, the story is exciting and compelling! If you can look past the unrealistic scenarios that get everyone is trouble, the book is a real page-turner. The prose I think is just OK and the treatment of Ellie and Lex leaves something to be desired (I love what they did with those characters in the movie).

I've been discussing this with friends and the odd thing about that plot that really sticks out is that Crichton spends so much time berating the scientists for going too far and creating something they shouldn't have, but the catalyst for disaster is almost always carelessness on the part of the corporations.

Hammond repeatedly said that they spared no expense, but their containment systems were completely inadequate, their safety and emergency response procedures were a joke, their computer systems were designed terribly and were only understood by a single person. It's almost enough for me to think that Crichton meant to write this from the point of view of an unreliable narrator who didn't understand computers and hated scientists.

The fatal flaw in the park was not science gone too far, it was terrible engineering and design (and some poor choices about which dinosaurs to create while the system was still untested).

As an example, the most critical and obvious priority for the park was to keep the dinosaurs contained. That one task should have been done by the strongest, most redundant, most fool-proof and failure-resistant system in the park, but on a remote tropical island, the containment of the dinosaurs was entirely dependent on their primary source of power working 100% of the time and it required a complex procedure on the part of the operator to restore. The fences turn off when they switch to auxiliary power? That's masterfully bad. ( )
1 vote typo180 | Jan 2, 2017 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,484,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible