Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park (original 1990; edition 1990)

by Michael Crichton

13,195206166 (3.91)192
Member:aqeeliz
Title:Jurassic Park
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:New York : Ballantine, c1990.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:novel, fiction, series, jurassic park, dinosaurs

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Meg: A Novel Of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When The Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (195)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (205)

Of course, I saw the film when it first came out, and found myself continually comparing the book to it. But in fact the book holds up well - a lot of the shocking visual moments from the film are reasonably firmly rooted in the book, and sometimes actually come off better on the page. And the book turns out to be not really about the process of reviving dinosaurs, but about the fragility of human endeavour against the chaos of the natural world - the author's mouthpiece character, who gets to speak long infodumps and whose gnomic statements preface every section of the book, is not a palæontologist but the mathematician played by Jeff Goldblum in the film.

I did notice, however, that very few of the Costa Rican characters and none of the walk-on black characters actually had names. ( )
  nwhyte | Jun 28, 2016 |
Here it is - the infamous Jurassic Park. I still remember how amazingly huge this was in theater when I was growing up. The thing I remember most was the truck's glass shaking in cue with the T-Rex's footsteps. Deliciously suspenseful. Does the book hold up?

As plots go, let's face it - this one's simply awesome. Who doesn't dig dinosaurs to some degree? It brings out the wonder and child in all of us. And man is always itching for yet another story to slap his hand and warn him about playing God in the black dangers of SCIENCE. Du-du-dum! So besides dinos, mad scientists, we get cool smart people who make funny comments, children who get on the nerves, a huge island, convenient storms, and fried state of the art security. Rock on!

While the entire novel is good, the beginning is where it's really all at. Such fun creepiness and buildup sets the mood. Being of mediocre wit myself, my patience DID lag with some of the many, many technical eplorations/jargon whey they first come to the island to flaunt their expertise, but I still give props to Crichton for holding the pacing level, even if the expected climax climb is from slightly predictable circumstances.

Characters are an intriguing ensemble. First, the little girl irritated me to no end, and I ended up loathing the devilish girl-child almost immediately. Sadly my hatred didn't fade as the pages turned. Her whining was atrocious. Oddly, in the movie she is the older and more secure one, but in the book the younger. She consistently makes dangers worse, doesn't listen, puts others in precarious situations, and made me want to shake her. Ian Malcolm's dry wit is likeable enough but in the novel he's barely around. The mad scientist is unpleasant and stands as a different sort from his film version. The dinosaur scientists are just average. And yes, as before, Crichton does tend to invent characters for the sake of story.

Crichton's writing is nifty, although I did find an occasional error and think he relies a little too heavily on the "comma just in case" method. Still, he charmed my inner reader with wording that's plausible and easy to take in. He comes across as having a beef with science. Not just because this is a precautionary tale (that doesn't always mean anything beyond good story telling), but he also puts in a foreward and injection of thoughts on the irresponsibility of the scientific establishment in general.

The T-Rex is focused on more in the book than the film. While the raptors stole the cinema-light there, T-Rex ruled the roost here. There was an especially creepy water scene while he is giving chase.

Overall this book is certainly worth the hype and I'm pleased they chose to make it into a blockbuster film. They had plenty of excellent source material to draw from, even if they changed a good amount. Genuine chills, tension, fascinating subject material which works with new twists. Chilling more than suspenseful - especially the two opening scenes with the bitten man carried to the isolated medic and the little girl getting a nasty surprise on the beach. If you're a fan of the movie (or, if you're not), still check out the book. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Great book, just awesome all around even though I am late to the party on this one, so happy I finally decided to read it. For my review visit Thank the Maker at
http://girlsguidetoscifi.blogspot.ca/2014/10/spinosaurus-aegyptiacus-review-of.h.... ( )
  HollyBest | Jun 9, 2016 |
I do wonder if I'd like this as much if I re-read it. I read Congo and Sphere twice and enjoyed them both times, after all.... ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Jurassic Park
3 Stars

Too much science and not enough character development.

One of the rare cases in which the movie is better than the book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,920,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible