Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park, (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton

Member:DrLed
Title:Jurassic Park,
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Plaza y Janes (2006), Edition: Spanish, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Fantasy-Science Fiction

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    Meg by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    When the Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (169)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (179)
This book had some really memorable moments and was enjoyable to read. The scene early in the book where the young child is bitten by an escaped young dinosaur has stuck with me from the first reading 20+ years ago. As a whole this was suspenseful and worth reading once as an adult for basic entertainment purposes, but the actual possibility of its premise seemed slightly ridiculous throughout the reading and aspects of the character development were disappointing. The overall message of the book- that people can't mess with nature in this way without severe consequences- is worthwhile. ( )
  karmiel | Jul 29, 2015 |
A real rollercoaster. I was shocked how different the book is from the movie and baffled at how someone could possibly make the decision to exclude some moments of the book from the film. This is very well one of the most exciting books I've read. ( )
  Braden_Timss | Jul 17, 2015 |
I my first say that I was a bit biased when I started reading this book because Jurassic Park is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time. So, I figured I would love it. It was A LOT different than the movie. I loved how we saw more dinos in the book and we learned more about the characters. There were parts in the book that were really awesome that were left out of the movie, i.e. the aviary, river rafting etc. I loved how it explained and gave so much detail about the biology of the animals. Having a degree in biology, it was a lot of fun to read something that really pertained to my field of study. I really was quite amazed at how it ended... Hollywood has a wild way of changing things.

Great book. Great read. Jurassic Park for the win! ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
[Cross posted to Knite Writes]

Obviously, I picked this one up in honor of the release of Jurassic World, which I thought was a fun movie (though not much of a critical masterpiece). This book, of course, is a classic thriller with a sci-fi twist attached that sparked a whole generation of dinosaur fascination, a bunch of movies, and some 90s culture stuff I’d probably be better not bringing up in this review.

So what did I think of the book that started it all?

Well…it was all right. And that’s pretty much all I can say about it. I found the characters interesting for the most part — although I did find Ian Malcolm to be one of the most annoying morality preacher characters I’ve ever come across in all my reading years — and the plot was pretty exciting, if not fairly predictable. And before anyone says it was predictable because I’ve seen the movie (which is partially true), the book itself is actually written in a way that makes the plot predictable.

Malcolm pretty much tells you everything that’s going to happen before it happens because he’s the master of “chaos theory,” and a lot of the characters make such obviously boneheaded mistakes that it’s not all surprising what happens to most of them in the end. The whole plot pretty much boils down to so-called smart people doing incredibly dumb things, making huge oversights that should have been glaring, and generally being so full of themselves that they adamantly refuse to admit they could be wrong about anything…until they get eaten by dinosaurs.

If I had read this book back when it first came out, I probably would have been more enthralled by it because, well, dinosaurs. But reading it with twenty plus years worth of movies and fan culture behind it…it really comes off as a rather mediocre story. Crichton had a lot of awesome ideas stuffed in this, for sure, but I feel like the actual structure of the story and the characters could use a little work. ( )
  TherinKnite | Jul 6, 2015 |
Dinosaurs Cloned In Failed Attempt To Create Pre-Historic Entertainment Park
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Prologue
Out of curiosity, she looked in the little English dictionary, and to her surprise she found the word there, too:
raptorn[deriv. of L. raptor plunderer, fr. raptus]: bird of prey.
Introduction
Parties to that settlement, including the distinguished scientific board of advisors, signed a nondisclosure agreement, and none will speak about what happened; but many of the principal figures in the "InGen incident" are not signatories, and were willing to discuss the remarkable events leading up to those final two days in August 1989 on a remote island off the west coast of Costa Rica.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible