Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton

Jurassic Park, (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Michael Crichton

Member:DrLed
Title:Jurassic Park,
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Plaza y Janes (2006), Edition: Spanish, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Fantasy-Science Fiction

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton (1990)

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Kind of an obvious choice, The Lost World is a sequel to Jurassic Park. I think it's just as good, if not better.
    The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: An obvious rec, I admit. Doyle's story is the original "modern men interact with dinos" tale and Crichton's is the best one since.
    The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells (Stbalbach)
    Stbalbach: Mad doctor's breeding program on a remote island. What could go wrong?
    Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight (caimanjosh, tottman)
    caimanjosh: There's been some speculation that Crichton actually got the idea for Jurassic Park from this book, which was written well before. This one's gorier.
    tottman: Both are stories about trying to bring back dinosaurs, and the ultimately destructive outcome of such an attempt. Carnosaur leans more to the horror side of the equation and Jurassic Park more to the thriller side.
    King Kong by Edgar Wallace (Hedgepeth)
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (mcenroeucsb)
    Raptor Red by Robert T. Bakker (Konran)
    The Cartesian Machine by Dr. Nick E. Tran (NickETran)
    NickETran: The Cartesian Machine by Nick E. Tran and Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton are both based on the newly discovered sciences and the terrible disasters that ensued.
    Relic by Douglas Preston (VictoriaPL)
    Meg: A Novel Of Deep Terror by Steve Alten (Hedgepeth)
    When The Wind Blows by James Patterson (themephi)

English (204)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (214)
Dinosaurs come to life ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
The two biggest takeaways I had are that Crichton had a sinister view of scientists and that he didn't really understand what they do. Errors abound in his treatment of science from chaos theory to genetics to computer systems to the characteristics of the scientific community.

That being said, the story is exciting and compelling! If you can look past the unrealistic scenarios that get everyone is trouble, the book is a real page-turner. The prose I think is just OK and the treatment of Ellie and Lex leaves something to be desired (I love what they did with those characters in the movie).

I've been discussing this with friends and the odd thing about that plot that really sticks out is that Crichton spends so much time berating the scientists for going too far and creating something they shouldn't have, but the catalyst for disaster is almost always carelessness on the part of the corporations.

Hammond repeatedly said that they spared no expense, but their containment systems were completely inadequate, their safety and emergency response procedures were a joke, their computer systems were designed terribly and were only understood by a single person. It's almost enough for me to think that Crichton meant to write this from the point of view of an unreliable narrator who didn't understand computers and hated scientists.

The fatal flaw in the park was not science gone too far, it was terrible engineering and design (and some poor choices about which dinosaurs to create while the system was still untested).

As an example, the most critical and obvious priority for the park was to keep the dinosaurs contained. That one task should have been done by the strongest, most redundant, most fool-proof and failure-resistant system in the park, but on a remote tropical island, the containment of the dinosaurs was entirely dependent on their primary source of power working 100% of the time and it required a complex procedure on the part of the operator to restore. The fences turn off when they switch to auxiliary power? That's masterfully bad. ( )
  typo180 | Jan 2, 2017 |
good story, just full of evolutionary garbage ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot. wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission.
Title: Jurassic Park
Series: -----
Author: Michael Crichton
Rating: of 5 Battle Axes
Genre: Action/Adventure
Pages: 416
Format: Kindle

Project Reread:
I am attempting to reread 10 books in 2016 that I have rated highly in the past. I am not attempting to second guess or denigrate my younger self in any way but am wanting to compare how my tastes have changed and possibly matured. I am certainly much more widely read now [both in the good and bad quality sadly] than then. I will hopefully be going into the reasons for any differences of opinions between then and now. If there is no difference of opinion, then it was a hellfire'd fine book!
Synopsis: John Hammond has created dinosaurs and wants to create a theme park with them. His investors are edgy and force him to hire several experts to tour the island. Murphy hitches a ride and per his rule, anything that can go wrong, does. Including the biting off of heads. Which is just awesome. My Thoughts: Back in 2002 I reread Jurassic Park. It was the first time I had read it since highschool in the 90's and probably had just watched that terrible Jurassic Park III movie. When I was looking at my review, it was rather short, as were most of my reviews back then. 1 or 2 sentences. I was sure that upon this reread I would have much more to say. In all honesty, I could let that old review stand. Now that I have read more of Crichton's stuff, his propensity for techno-blather is more apparent. It seriously gets in the way of the story. Not because it is dated, but because he goes on and on and uses projections as fact. My biggest issue was the dna thing. I didn't have an issue at all with the fact that they "could" clone dinosaurs but with the fact that they just willy nilly used whatever kind of other dna they wanted to fill in the gap and it all just worked. It doesn't work that way. On the character side of things, well, what a wretched group. I wished they ALL had died. Hammond was an egomaniac with delusions of grandeur. Ian Malcom was a self-absorbed asshole who loved to make cryptic remarks without actually saying anything and then gloating about everything. The kids, ahhh, what a bunch of whiners and that little girl just made me want to throw her to the t-rex. Ellie and Grant were both cardboard. Nobody else even stood out, so I guess they were either dinosaur fodder or wet cardboard. On the good side of things, the dinosaurs eating people was as awesome as ever. Something about that is just viscerally satisfying. Back then AND now. Unfortunately, the downsides were much more apparent this time around. Also, I am not nearly as willing now to put up with a huge crap fest to get the few diamonds buried deep within. I would still recommend this to people, just not as enthusiastically as I would have before. Because hey, dinosaurs eating people is just plain awesome! Project Reread Verdict: Will Not Read Again " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Still a great read. Crichton's classic genetic thriller is starting to show its age in the science and the sexism, but there's no arguing with the central rollercoaster ride through the Park. ( )
  imyril | Nov 21, 2016 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kanmert Sjölander, MolleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Reptiles are abhorrent because of their cold body, pale color, cartilaginous skeleton, filthy skin, fierce aspect, calculating eye, offensive smell, harsh voice, squalid habitation, and terrible venom; wherefore their Creator has not exerted his powers to make many of them."

~ LINNAEUS, 1797
"You cannot recall a new form of life."
~ ERWIN CHARGAFF, 1972
For A-M and T
Prologue
The tropical rain fell in drenching sheets, hammering the corrugated roof of the clinic building, roaring down the metal gutters, splashing on the ground in a torrent.
Introduction
The late twentieth century has witnessed a scientific gold rush of astonishing proportions: the headlong and furious haste to commercialize genetic engineering.
Mike Bowman whistled cheerfully as he drove the Land Rover through the Cabo Blanco Biological Reserve, on the west coast of Costa Rica.
Reptielen zijn weerzinwekkend vanwege hun koude lichaam, hun bleke kleur, hun kraakbeenskelet, hun vuile huid, hun wrede uitdrukking, hun berekenende blik, hun afstotelijke geur, hun scherpe stemgeluid, hun smerig nest en hun vreselijk vergif; daarom heeft hun schepper zijn macht niet gebruikt om er vele te maken. (Linnaeus, 1797) Een nieuwe levensvorm kun je niet ongedaan maken. (Erwin Chargaff, 1972)
Because the history of evolution is that life escapes all barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new territories. Painfully, perhaps even dangerously. But life finds a way.
An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them--for a price.

Until something goes wrong....

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345370775, Mass Market Paperback)

Unless your species evolved sometime after 1993 when Jurassic Park hit theaters, you're no doubt familiar with this dinosaur-bites-man disaster tale set on an island theme park gone terribly wrong. But if Speilberg's amped-up CGI creation left you longing for more scientific background and ... well, character development, check out the original Michael Crichton novel. Although not his best book (get ahold of sci-fi classic The Andromeda Strain for that), Jurassic Park fills out the film version's kinetic story line with additional scenes, dialogue, and explanations while still maintaining Crichton's trademark thrills-'n'-chills pacing. As ever, the book really is better than the movie. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

A wealthy entrepreneur secretly creates a theme park featuring living dinosaurs drawn from prehistoric DNA. Before opening the attraction to the public, he invites some scientists to experience the park and help calm anxious investors; but, during the visit, the security system breaks down and prehistoric creatures break out.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,783,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible