Like Us, They Lived = The Passionate Brood (1944)

by Margaret Campbell Barnes

A Spirited Retelling of King Richard the Lionheart and the Third Crusade "Margaret Campbell Barnes has been one of the most reliable of England's historical novelists." --Chicago Tribune In this compelling novel of love, loyalty, and lost chances, Margaret Campbell Barnes gives readers a new perspective on Richard the Lionheart's triumphs and tragedies. Drawing on folklore, Barnes exploreswhat might have happened if King Richard's foster brother were none other than Robin Hood, a legendary figure more vibrant than most in authentic history. Thick as thieves as Richard builds a kingdom and marshals a crusade, the two clash when Robin Hood so provokes the king's white hot temper that Richard banishes him. The Passionate Brood is a tale of a man driven to win back the Holy Land, beset by the guilt of casting out his childhood friend, and shouldering the burden of being the lionhearted leader of the Plantagenets. Praise for Margaret Campbell Barnes "Barnes vividly depicts Anne's hopes and fears in an age where royal marriages were brokered like a cattle fair, and beheading could befall even a Queen." --Publishers Weekly on Brief Gaudy Hour "Rich in detail and flows beautifully, letting readers escape into Anne's court and country life. It is a must read for those who love exploring the dynamic relationships of Henry VIII and his wives."--Historical Novels Review on My Lady of Cleves… (more)

What if Robin Hood was King Richard's foster brother? How would the outlaw affect Richard the Lionheart of history?

This is a story about the life of Richard- his quest, his loves, and his eventual kingship. As Richard goes off to fight in the Crusades, he leaves home not as he had planned. During his life he finds 'love' from 3 different women: his faithful sister Johanna, the love of his life Berengaria and Ida, who worshipped the ground he walked on. Each love is different in its own way but how does each play out in the tale...

The book seems to be how the people who love Rchard influence his decisions, both on and off the battlefield; however Robin seems to be talked about more than he is actually present. This is a tale of Richard- not Robin. Overall a interesting historical novel, would reccomend it to fans of English history. ( )
1 vote Shuffy2 | Sep 12, 2011 |
The most interesting part is the twist on the Robin Hood legend. Unfortunately you don't get much of an insight into Richard's character. Norah Lofts' The Lute Player is a better treatment of the Lionheart. ( )
  lornay | Aug 19, 2011 |
From my book review blog Rundpinne: "The Passionate Brood by Margaret Campbell Barnes is a re-release of a brilliant work of historical fiction, which focuses on Richard I, the Plantagenets, and the legend of Robin Hood." My full review is here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/11/book-review-the-passionate-brood-by-margaret-ca... ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Nov 22, 2010 |
This is a re-issue of a book originally written in 1945. The book did not feel "old" to me; in fact it felt timeless. The writing style is very easy and fluid and I found myself quite lost in time. The book focuses more on Richard the Lionheart than his foster brother Robin whom this book says becomes the Robin Hood of legend. That is what intrigued me most when I read the synopsis and I was a tad disappointed when there was so little focus on his part of the story. Of course I then googled
"The legend of Robin Hood" and found it all to be artistic license.

Nonetheless, this was a fascinating book that kept me reading until my poor crossed eyes blurred and I could barely keep them open. I found the relationships, as portrayed within the book, between the various Plantagenets to be what drove the story and they were very well written. In fact I want to find more books by Ms. Campbell Barnes as her writing style is so good.

Most of us know the tale of Richard the Lionheart - at least the basics - and I have to admit that this book enlightened me to how much of a cost his passion for war put on his country. He is so lauded for Crusading but he was truly negletful as a King. ( )
  BooksCooksLooks | Nov 2, 2010 |
This book is about Richard I, also known as Richard the Lionhearted, who was the third legitimate son of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. Richard is a king who spent very little time as King of England as he was often off on the Crusades. Another character who played a major part of the story is the fictional (foster brother of Richard) Robin Hood. These two men have a close relationship until Richard outlaws Robin and puts a price on his head, he spends the rest of his days in the Shere Wood forest robbing the rich to give to the poor as the legend goes. I liked how this legendary figure was intertwined into the real facts of King Richard and the Plantagenet family.

Richard married Berengaria of Navarre, first-born daughter of King Sanchbo VI of Navarre. Berengaria went on a few of the crusades with Richard which was a difficult situation for a marriage and there were no living children from this match. Richard is determined to win back the Holy Land but never actually does conquer Jerusalem. King Phillip of France and Richards brother John(who is regent while Richard is off on his crusades) are conspiring against him

The marriage of Richard and Berengaria's was a love match according to this book even though as most marriages of the time were matches made for political reasons which also allowed families to stake claims of succession on each others lands. Even though Berengaria was actually Queen of England, she actually never set foot in England until Richard had died.

Joanna Plantagenet (King Richards sister) was Queen of Sicily until King William II's death at which time she was brought back to England. Another fictional character in this story is Blondel de Cahaignes who is King Richards steward and close friend and is with Richard until his death. All of these characters, fictional or otherwise, tell the story of the young Plantagenets, their success and failures, their triumphs and tragedies. This is another great novel by Margaret Campbell Barnes and one that I enjoyed immensely.
  celticlady53 | Nov 1, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

"Like Us, They Lived" reedited as "The Passionate Brood".

A novel of King Richard the Lion Heart

Set in one of the most romantic periods of English history. It tells the story of the young Plantagenets, the heirs of Henry II, of Richard the Lion Heart and his crusade to regain the Holy Land, of King John plotting to overthrow his brother and of Robin Hood, fighting at home to keep the throne for England's rightful monarch.

Drawing on folklore, the author explores what might have happened if King Richard's foster brother were none other than Robin Hood, a legendary figure more vibrant than most in authentic history. Thick as thieves as Richard builds a kingdom and marshals a crusade, the two clash when Robin Hood so provokes the king's white hot temper that Richard banishes him. This is a tale of a man driven to win back the Holy Land, beset by the guilt of casting out his childhood friend, and shouldering the burden of being the lionhearted leader of the Plantagenets.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,822,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible