Darkwater by Catherine Fisher

Darkwater (original 2000; edition 2012)

by Catherine Fisher

Authors:Catherine Fisher
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 229 pages

Darkwater by Catherine Fisher (2000)

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. It kept me wondering what was next. My issues with it were with the fact that there were so many unanswered questions. You never really find out who I the bad guy and who is the good guy. I prefer books that have a more concrete ending. ( )
  simple_kind | Nov 14, 2015 |
Quick, breathless little Gothic Thriller. Most enjoyable. Its strength is in its brevity. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Sixteen year old Sarah lives in Victorian times. She is very upset that the loss of her family’s fortune has caused her to slave among the commoners, believing her family’s estate at Darkwater should rightfully be hers. She jumps at the chance to work for Azrael, the current owner, in his study of alchemy.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/darkwater-catherine-fisher/

ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
A well-written but non-engaging young adult novel. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
I think Catherine Fisher actually cannot write anything bad -- she is endlessly creative, especially when coming up with interesting twists on old stories, as here. Plus, she creates really involving characters and settings.

I adored this book even though -- (or maybe because?) -- I did not immediately love the heroine, Sarah. She is -- at first -- quite unsympathetic, though you have to feel for her despite this. Her circumstances are so awful, it's no wonder she's rather awful herself!

I also love how Ms. Fishers heroes are rather villainous -- it's very well done. (I hope that's not a spoiler, but I really don't think it is).

On the whole, the most interesting take on the "Faustus" story I've read in quite a while.

Four stars? Maybe that's not fair, because I'm judging this book mostly against the rest of Catherine Fisher's and I pretty much love everything she does. So.. It doesn't match the brilliance of [b:Incarceron|332775|Incarceron (Incarceron, #1)|Catherine Fisher|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327414514s/332775.jpg|323310] or [b:Sapphique|4499214|Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)|Catherine Fisher|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327885488s/4499214.jpg|4548192], but it's definitely still a very good book! ( )
  deirdrea | Apr 4, 2013 |

What would you sell your soul for?

Sixteen-year-old Sarah Trevelyan would give anything to regain the power and wealth her family has lost, so she makes a bargain with Azrael, Lord of Darkwater Hall. He gives her one hundred years and the means to accomplish her objective--in exchange for her soul. Fast-forward a hundred years to Tom, a fifteen-year-old boy who dreams of attending Darkwater Hall School but doesn't believe he has the talent. Until he meets a professor named Azrael, who offers him a bargain. Will Sarah be able to stop Tom from making the same mistake she did a century ago?

This is smart fantasy mixed with elements of horror from master storyteller Catherine Fisher. She says, "Darkwater Hall is an image of the power and knowledge we all desire. But what will we pay for them, and are they worth the price?"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Sarah sells her soul to reclaim her family's estate and is given 100 years to atone for their sins, but as the bargain nears its end, modern-day Tom, yearning to attend the private school that Darkwater Hall has become, gets caught up in the bargain.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible