Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to…

by Janice Kim, Soo-hyun Jeong, a lee (Illustrator)

Member:shabacus
Title:Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Volume I) (Learn to Play Go Series)
Authors:Janice Kim
Other authors:Soo-hyun Jeong, a lee (Illustrator)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2010), Edition: 3rd, Paperback, 184 pages
Collections:Your library, Shawn's
Tags:non-fiction, how-to, games, Go

Learn to Play Go: A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game (Volume I) (Learn to Play Go) by Janice Kim

I'm a relative newcomer to Go, having learned the rules through internet research and played fifty or so games on my iPad. I realized that I needed a lot more study if I wanted to improve my game, and I came across this book.

I was very satisfied with it. The book first presented the rules of play, along with copious examples and commentary. Then, it delved into specific topics of gameplay, giving a review of these topics including things to look for.

Upon finishing it, I immediately ordered Volume II. There was less depth in the first volume than I had hoped, but I figure that Volume II is the best way to go into further detail on the game. Can't wait to get my hands on it! ( )
  shabacus | Jan 11, 2013 |
This covers the very basics of the game, starting with the rules and finishing with counting and some fundamental life and death positions. The chapter on capturing moves introduces the concepts of ladders, nets, and snapbacks which are all important for any beginner to learn. Kim writes in a clear style, and keeps things simple. This and "The Second Book of Go" should be read by anyone who is just getting started. ( )
  jdludlow | Nov 30, 2010 |
This was the first go book I read and I completely taught myself to play with it. It covers everything from the rules, to how to hold a stone, to basic tactics. I have lent this book to two people who wanted to learn to play and I would do it again in a heartbeat. ( )
  Waterbuggg | Jul 10, 2010 |

UPDATED 3RD EDITION AVAILABLE 7/1/2010. A Master's Guide to the Ultimate Game. The award-winning first book in the Learn to Play Go series by Janice Kim 3 dan and Jeong Soo-hyun 9 dan, two masters of the 4,000-year-old Asian game of strategy. Takes the complete beginner step-by-step all the way to playing real Go in fourteen chapters that can be read in 10-15 minutes each, each with a try-it-yourself section at the end. Suitable for kids, demystifies the learning process for adults.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,624,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible