Because It Is My Blood

Authors:
Info:Pan Macmillan Childrens, Paperback
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopian, Suspense, Romance

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

Should every book become a series? NO!
In the case of the Birthright series by Gabrielle Zevin, we are talking about a trilogy. A trilogy that should have never been more than a single story or duology at most.
There is a really interesting premise to this series that is dystopian (yr 2080's) with traces of The Godfather. Living in the time that we are, it is easy to buy into a story where things like chocolate are illegal. While the government claims that the numerous laws are for society's own good, it is really about lining someone's pockets. Anya's family have been chocolatiers for a number of years, and when chocolate became illegal, the family turned to organized crime.
The setup is all done in book one, All These Things I've Done, in which we learn a lot of strange, but imaginable laws are in effect. I really enjoyed the first book, but there were a few slow parts that should have ended up on the cutting room floor...
Which brings me to the the second book, Because It Is My Blood. This book hardly need exist at all. It is almost entirely slow paced filler. The romance is dull, little happens, what does happen circles back around so it turns out to be nothing at all, and there is pages upon pages of Anya working in the cocoa fields. At some point I just kind of figured that the author researched the hell out of growing cocoa beans and got overzealous in sharing the things that she learned. *snooze
I have heard that the third and final book, In the Age of Love and Chocolate, delivers a good ending to the trilogy, but it still leaves me wondering why this couldn't have been a duology, maybe even a single book, although the jury is still out on that one, since I haven't read the final book.
If you read and enjoyed the first book and still have not continued with the series, it is safe to say that you can skip this book and move on to the third. Really.
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
In 2083, seventeen-year-old Anya Balanchine seeks a way to make Balanchine Chocolate legitimate, and although a trip to Mexico gives her new insights and ideas, escaping her mobster family's legacy of violence may prove impossible.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
The second book to All These Things I've Done in the Birthright series. I loved this book. It is better than the first book, but I still gave them both the same five star rating for being one of the best series I've read to date.

Anya is growing to be one amazing and strong young woman who is no longer letting the world get in her way. Instead, she's putting her foot down and making choices that will have you cheer her on. ( )
  SirenRemi | Jan 30, 2015 |
Wow! I am so in love with this series! This book was even better than the first! The story took a GREAT twist! I am so glad I have the third and final book because I don't want to wait to finish this series! Gabrielle Zevin has an amazing mind and is a pure genius! I have a new favorite author! ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |

“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

19 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,556,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible