Because It Is My Blood

Title:Because It Is My Blood
Info:Pan Macmillan Childrens, Paperback
Tags:Young Adult, Dystopian, Suspense, Romance

Because It Is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin

The second book to All These Things I've Done in the Birthright series. I loved this book. It is better than the first book, but I still gave them both the same five star rating for being one of the best series I've read to date.

Anya is growing to be one amazing and strong young woman who is no longer letting the world get in her way. Instead, she's putting her foot down and making choices that will have you cheer her on. ( )
  SirenRemi | Jan 30, 2015 |
Wow! I am so in love with this series! This book was even better than the first! The story took a GREAT twist! I am so glad I have the third and final book because I don't want to wait to finish this series! Gabrielle Zevin has an amazing mind and is a pure genius! I have a new favorite author! ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Nov 6, 2014 |
I still can't wrap my mind around a time where chocolate is illegal in the United States--I'd definitely have to move out of the country! Anya is still having trouble with the law, with her family, and with her love life. At least in this book we see her starting to take charge rather than just letting things happen to her. Can't wait to read book three to see how it all ends. ( )
  TeresaKander | Aug 4, 2014 |
This is Book Two of the trilogy that began with All These Things I’ve Done set in a future New York in which alcohol is legal but chocolate is banned, except for medicinal uses.

In this book, Anya, now 17, escapes from yet another stint at the Liberty Children’s Facility and hides out in Chiapas, Mexico, learning the chocolate trade of her family. She stays at a ranch where cacao is raised and where charming 19-year-old Theo Marquez teaches her all about its growth and cultivation. And of course, the process is a metaphor for Anya’s life. As Theo explains about cacao:

“Attempts to genetically modify her beans have all been complete failures. She needs to struggle or the cacao produced will not be the richest. She needs to face certain death over and over again. ... But ... everything worth loving in this world is difficult.”

Anya works in the fields with Theo, and also learns to use a machete, a skill that will come in handy.

When she returns to New York, she comes up with a plan to capitalize on her new knowledge, and help get herself and her family out of their legal problems. It may not be good for her love life, but it is chocolate that is in her blood. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 4, 2014 |

“Every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in.”- Michael Corleone, The Godfather

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship.But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

In 2083, seventeen-year-old Anya Balanchine seeks a way to make Balanchine Chocolate legitimate, and although a trip to Mexico gives her new insights and ideas, escaping her mobster family's legacy of violence may prove impossible.

Gabrielle Zevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

6 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,918,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible