This is how you lose her by Junot…

This is how you lose her (edition 2012)

by Junot Díaz

Member:alwright1
Title:This is how you lose her
Authors:Junot Díaz
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, 2012.
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, short stories, read in 2014

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (98)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
The stories contained some good dialog, and a good dose of character development. However, as a whole, the book wasn’t integrated or unified. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Sep 16, 2018 |
Anything Junot Diaz does, you can sign me up as a fan. If this guy slurps his morning coffee or folds his newspaper in a particular way, I tell you, I would find it brilliant, endearing, and let's not forget sexy. Even if I do not know what he is saying, it is ah-mazing. His prose is filled with wit, swagger, heartbreak, sex, assholes, beauty, and oh, all the things. I can't stand this guy, really. I listened to an interview he gave to Kerri Miller from MPR and he was talking about how he is foremost a reader which is why it took him 12(?) years to finish this particular collection of short stories. He went on to say that most writers forget about the magic of reading and how it kind of becomes secondary if not completely abandoned to their writing. Let me just say, this was very redeeming for me. I love to write but if I had a choice, I would pretty much choose reading every time. I will be a writing slacker with you, Junot. Anyhow, if you are in the mood for some stories that break every stereotype you have about how fiction is written-this is the collection for you. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
After finally reading a book that has been on my "must read" list for several years, can someone please tell me what in God's name I'm missing? Many of the gushing reviews made Diaz's work sound like an instant contemporary classic. I can't tell you bored I was as I forced myself to muddle through the work before finally giving up three-quarters of the way into it. Nothing really came together for me. Still, I will admit that Diaz is an excellent writer who can masterfully capture an important thought or insight in a well-crafted sentence. His skills have spared this work from getting a rare one-star rating. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Jul 30, 2018 |
I like the way he writes, but I guess I just got tired of his super crazy cheating ass calling all the girls crazy, or sluts or sucias. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |
Can I just please say: Junot Diaz, you are one of my favorite authors, ever.

It's so easy to fall into easy listening comfort with his narrative. While the stories didn't come as one whole big picture to me, they left marks on their own— as singular, individual stories.

And because I love Diaz and his profound observations, I'm leaving you with my favorite quotes.

"Ana Iris once asked me if I loved him and I told her about the lights in my old home in the capital, how they flickered and you never knew if they would go out or not. You put down your things and you waited and couldn't do anything really until the lights decided. This, I told her, is how I feel."

"You don't want to let go, but don't want to be hurt, either. It's not a great place to be but what can I tell you?"

"A father is a hard thing to compass."

"If you have to go, wait till I fall asleep, OK? But after a few weeks it's Please don't go. And finally just: Stay.

And you do."

"Behind you in the distance hums New York City. The world, you tell yourself, will never end."

"There are surprises and there are surprises and then there is this."

"You ask everybody you know: How long does it usually take to get over it?

There are many formulas. One year for every year you dated. Two years for every year you dated. It's just a matter of willpower: the day you decide it's over, it's over. You never get over it."

"The half-life of love is forever."

"Sometimes a start is all we ever get."
  heycaye | Feb 14, 2018 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Así es como la pierdes es un libro sobre mujeres que quitan el sentido y sobre el amor y el ardor. Y sobre la traición porque a veces traicionamos lo que más queremos, y también es un libro sobre el suplicio que pasamos después –los ruegos, las lágrimas, la sensación de estar atravesando un campo de minas– para intentar recuperar lo que perdimos. Aquello que creíamos que no queríamos, que no nos importaba. Estos cuentos nos enseñan las leyes fijas del amor: que la desesperanza de los padres la acaban sufriendo los hijos, que lo que les hacemos a nuestros ex amantes nos lo harán inevitablemente a nosotros, y que aquello de «amar al prójimo como a uno mismo» no funciona bajo la influencia de Eros. Pero sobre todo, estos cuentos nos recuerdan que el ardor siempre triunfa sobre la experiencia, y que el amor, cuando llega de verdad, necesita más de una vida para desvanecerse.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Díaz, Junotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bragg, BillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,675,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible