This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This Is How You Lose Her (edition 2012)

by Junot Diaz

Member:stellakos
Title:This Is How You Lose Her
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:**1/2

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (74)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (78)
Not my favorite book by Junot Diaz but still a good one. Stories of flawed loves and relationships surrounding a single character. Although the premise is not all that exciting or gripping it's a good read and something to keep you busy. I still love the way Junot Diaz uses language and plays with it but that is about the highlight of the book. Some stories kept me interested more than others but it's more of a book to read before bed type of deal. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Jul 2, 2015 |
I know this book was released to much critical acclaim and the author is wildly popular so it was a no brainer that I would eventually have to read this book. I read a review somewhere that the audiobook was amazing and narrated by the author so I decided to give it a go. I am soo glad that I did. I didn't bother reading the description, I just figured I'd plunge in and figure out the contents as I listened. The book follows Yunior and the romances, break ups, aand heartbreak that surround him, his fmily, and his friends Filled with cheating, lies, true love, and family drama the stories all weave together, told in slang, Spanish, and brute honesty. Author, Junot Diaz's narration of his wonderfully crafted story is perfect. I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book soo much is because he brought it to life with the lyrical quality of his voice and prose. I also would have butchered the Spanish and the names had I read it to myself. Although not "uplifting" it is an explorative look into factors that can end a relationship and is a must read. ( )
  ecataldi | May 21, 2015 |
What seems like a book of short stories is actually more like glimpses of the life of Diaz' alter ego, Yunior. Each chapter is usually dedicated to a girl in his life that he made love to and cheated on. A character flaw that not only runs in his family but one that he hints is part of being a Dominican male. The stories are not in sequential order but as a whole give you an articulate look, in Diaz' curse filled vernacular, of Yunior's life, moving to Jersey next to a landfill, growing up with a brother who died of cancer, hardly knowing a father who lived in the states for five years before bringing his family. Diaz states that his stories are not autobiographical but deeply personal. This book is also about the writing, which is a joy to read. A quote from the New Yorker magazine's fiction editor, Deborah Treisman, calls his voice "unlike any I've come across, with its combination of the lyrical and the vernacular, of English and Spanish, of speech rhythms and internal reflection. It has a kind of unstoppable energy, an inexorable drive forward -- even when his stories move in difficult or tragic directions, the language jumps off the page in ways that can be simultaneously comic and heartbreaking. "
Only one story is not narrated by Yunior and in that one we come to realize it is the voice of the mistress his dad has in America while Yunior and his mom remain hopeful of being called up to the states. Perhaps her voice will create a new novel idea. One can only hope. I think his Oscar Wao novel is essential reading for all. This collection continues to confirm his gift.
Some great lines listed below for a flavor of the writing:

But that was before she’d gotten that chest, before that slash of black hair had gone from something to pull on the bus to something to stroke in the dark.

In another universe I probably came out OK, ended up with mad novias and jobs and a sea of love in which to swim, but in this world I had a brother who was dying of cancer and a long dark patch of life like a mile of black ice waiting for me up ahead.

You, Yunior have a girlfriend named Alma, who has a long tender horse neck and a big Dominican ass that seems to exist in a fourth dimension beyond jeans. An ass that could drag the moon out of orbit. An ass she never liked until she met you. Ain’t a day that passes that you don’t want to press your face against that ass or bite the delicate sliding tendons of her neck. You love how she shivers when you bite, how she fights you with those arms that are so skinny they belong on an after- school special.

The half life of love is forever. ( )
  novelcommentary | Apr 1, 2015 |
The intermission Latino music is so close to redeeming this audiobook. Junot took a while to warm up his reading voice and it was rough in spots, but my inner narrator voice doesn't sound so pretty saying the Spanish parts. ( )
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
  tayitude | Mar 8, 2015 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

955 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,497,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible