This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This Is How You Lose Her (edition 2012)

by Junot Diaz

Title:This Is How You Lose Her
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (76)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (80)
Excellent writing but extremely boring. Just a series of vignettes about the female conquests of a Dominican guy. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
This book was well written, but it's depiction of the Dominican immigrant experience and the way the men treated the women in this book left me feeling sad. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao was an incredible book. One that took me off my feet. Junot Diaz had a voice which sounded like my stream of thoughts, and he channeled it into his narrator, and into every character. There were footnotes with Galactus and the nature of curses in the DR. It was a revelation.

This Is How You Lose Her is not that. It is a collection of stories, some taken from the fictionalized self that Diaz presents, Yunior, and some taken from other places. It covers falling into and out of love, and high school, mostly. It’s also a bit of an oroboros, with the last story “The Cheater’s Guide to Love” telling some version of how this book came to be. Do yourself a favor – read that from when it was published in the New Yorker, and give the rest of the collection a pass. It is the best story by far, and the only one where you feel that Diaz, or any of his characters, truly learns a lesson.

This isn’t to say that the writing isn’t beautiful. The prose is well crafted. But the characters are mostly despicable, at least the central ones. And when they’re not, they feel absent, small bit players in their own stories. But the flare is gone. There are no detours, nothing that does not serve telling the stories. There’s no background, no rich tapestry of complicated time and place and personality. It’s true – the time is there, and the place is present, but the personality has been worn off the edges, leaving something less engaging, and less welcoming. The stories of bad people, doing questionable things. ( )
  Vermilious | Aug 4, 2015 |
Not my favorite book by Junot Diaz but still a good one. Stories of flawed loves and relationships surrounding a single character. Although the premise is not all that exciting or gripping it's a good read and something to keep you busy. I still love the way Junot Diaz uses language and plays with it but that is about the highlight of the book. Some stories kept me interested more than others but it's more of a book to read before bed type of deal. ( )
  alejandro.santana | Jul 2, 2015 |
I know this book was released to much critical acclaim and the author is wildly popular so it was a no brainer that I would eventually have to read this book. I read a review somewhere that the audiobook was amazing and narrated by the author so I decided to give it a go. I am soo glad that I did. I didn't bother reading the description, I just figured I'd plunge in and figure out the contents as I listened. The book follows Yunior and the romances, break ups, aand heartbreak that surround him, his fmily, and his friends Filled with cheating, lies, true love, and family drama the stories all weave together, told in slang, Spanish, and brute honesty. Author, Junot Diaz's narration of his wonderfully crafted story is perfect. I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed this book soo much is because he brought it to life with the lyrical quality of his voice and prose. I also would have butchered the Spanish and the names had I read it to myself. Although not "uplifting" it is an explorative look into factors that can end a relationship and is a must read. ( )
  ecataldi | May 21, 2015 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.
Así es como la pierdes es un libro sobre mujeres que quitan el sentido y sobre el amor y el ardor. Y sobre la traición porque a veces traicionamos lo que más queremos, y también es un libro sobre el suplicio que pasamos después –los ruegos, las lágrimas, la sensación de estar atravesando un campo de minas– para intentar recuperar lo que perdimos. Aquello que creíamos que no queríamos, que no nos importaba. Estos cuentos nos enseñan las leyes fijas del amor: que la desesperanza de los padres la acaban sufriendo los hijos, que lo que les hacemos a nuestros ex amantes nos lo harán inevitablemente a nosotros, y que aquello de «amar al prójimo como a uno mismo» no funciona bajo la influencia de Eros. Pero sobre todo, estos cuentos nos recuerdan que el ardor siempre triunfa sobre la experiencia, y que el amor, cuando llega de verdad, necesita más de una vida para desvanecerse.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia
Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

768 wanted4 pay2 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible