This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This Is How You Lose Her (edition 2012)

by Junot Diaz

Member:stellakos
Title:This Is How You Lose Her
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:**1/2

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (90)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All (94)
I was loving this but had too much on the go to finish and it was a library book. Will definitely read it later.

Finally got back to it. I love Junot Diaz' writing, but prefer novels to short stories. Also, nagging in the back of my mind as I read this, were the criticisms I've read about Diaz and his attitude towards women (in his writing as well as off the page). How do you balance his brazenly sexist views with the fact that he is a Dominican man writing about his culture? Personally, I try to put my views on hold so I can enjoy what flows from his pen. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Good but not great, esp. in comparison with Oscar Wao, which is a tour de force. This book collects stories Diaz has written in the last decade or so, most of which are about love affairs gone wrong. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
I'm surprised how much I came to hate the narrator/Yunior through the course of this collection. I literally wanted to yell at the book sometimes, "I have no sympathy for you!" And then at the mention of the apocalypse, I thought, Well that's a good idea. I'll admit I read on hoping that Yunior would die in an end-times fireball. Unfortunately not. ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
"The Cheater's Guide to Love." Wow. ( )
  benjaminsiegel | Jul 30, 2016 |
I decided to listen to this book since it was in the Goodreads Choice Awards. I think if it hadn't been on the list I probably wouldn't have listened to it. Had I been reading the printed version, I probably would have set it down right away. Not quiet my type of book.

I will say he is a good writer and he puts a lot of emotion into reading the book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Así es como la pierdes es un libro sobre mujeres que quitan el sentido y sobre el amor y el ardor. Y sobre la traición porque a veces traicionamos lo que más queremos, y también es un libro sobre el suplicio que pasamos después –los ruegos, las lágrimas, la sensación de estar atravesando un campo de minas– para intentar recuperar lo que perdimos. Aquello que creíamos que no queríamos, que no nos importaba. Estos cuentos nos enseñan las leyes fijas del amor: que la desesperanza de los padres la acaban sufriendo los hijos, que lo que les hacemos a nuestros ex amantes nos lo harán inevitablemente a nosotros, y que aquello de «amar al prójimo como a uno mismo» no funciona bajo la influencia de Eros. Pero sobre todo, estos cuentos nos recuerdan que el ardor siempre triunfa sobre la experiencia, y que el amor, cuando llega de verdad, necesita más de una vida para desvanecerse.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,426,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible