This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This Is How You Lose Her (edition 2012)

by Junot Diaz

Member:stellakos
Title:This Is How You Lose Her
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:**1/2

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (53)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
Junot Diaz's book This is How You Lose Her recounts the dysfunctional love life of Yunior. Diaz portrays Yunior as a stereo-typical hispanic male with all the machismo of his fore fathers flowing through his veins. Like his Dad and brother, he is a womanizer.

In my book club I found the women had a difficult time dealing with Yunior's ways. Some found him and his cavalier attitude toward love, reprehensible. Honestly, he didn't bother me. Oh sure he was pathetic and when he screwed up his relationships, which he inevitably did, he moped around like a love sick puppy, pounding on his chest and sobbing oh woes me. Yeah, bring out the violins.

Yunior knows he is wrong and he is devastated when busted. At the end of one relationship he slips into a deep depression and you say to yourself, well Yunior you knew this could happen so you shouldn't be surprised. Yet, he continues his wandering ways.

Unfortunately Diaz makes this story one dimensional, solely focusing on Yunior's womanizing and not delving into the deeper and darker psychological aspect of this destructive behavior. Was it because he wasn't his mother's favorite? Was his dad that much of an influence on him? Why does Yunior not seem to learn from his mistakes?

A raw, earthy use of language is used to tell this story. Yunior, his brother Rafa and his mother are the protagonist with several women thrown in. The women are flat in character but then again it's not their story....it's all about Yunior. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Mar 19, 2014 |
HoHum
Read it less than 2 weeks ago and it's already nearly disappeared from my mind.
May be "excellent" literature/writing, but personally, just not my style and didn't do anything for me.
Humans are the same across all nationalities, yet the Dominican setting & machismo wasn't something I could seem to relate to and some of scenes are a stretch for any culture.
I'll read more by this author, because he writes well, but if they follow this same theme, won't be inclined to finish another. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
Just as everyone who loves this book says, the writing in this work is really quite good. It's an interesting mix of Dominican slang and English and helps to contribute to the rawness of the narration. However, the characters were all flat, Yunior was pretty much unreadable as a somewhat main character, and nobody ever learned anything from the mistakes they made. ( )
  fitakyre | Mar 13, 2014 |
I have this theory, every producer (be it a band, writer ...) in the entertainment business reaches its best with their first or second product, after that their particular formula grows stale. Sometimes they realize this and the change styles but it's no longer the same.

With Mr. Diaz I guess is the first case, he keeps on using the same formula. His trademark Spanglish, with the uber-high English and the street Spanish, the colorful Dominican Republic inserts and the darks of immigrant life. And that formula no longer works, at least for this reader. ( )
  emed0s | Mar 11, 2014 |
I read this book while I was taking the bar exam. It has an overall feeling of sadness, of losing something. Often, the feel of a book can really change my mood, but Junot Diaz is a fantastic writer and there is an easy way you slip into his characters without feeling dragged down. I enjoyed it more than Oscar Wao and it was an easy read. It's set up more like a short story format than a traditional novel. ( )
  ahgonzales | Feb 5, 2014 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Okay, we didn't work, and all
memories to tell you the truth aren't good.
But sometimes there were good times.
Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep
beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars
like ours.
Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

323 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible