This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This Is How You Lose Her (edition 2012)

by Junot Diaz

Member:megc11
Title:This Is How You Lose Her
Authors:Junot Diaz
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz

English (87)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  English (91)
"The Cheater's Guide to Love." Wow. ( )
  benjaminsiegel | Jul 30, 2016 |
I decided to listen to this book since it was in the Goodreads Choice Awards. I think if it hadn't been on the list I probably wouldn't have listened to it. Had I been reading the printed version, I probably would have set it down right away. Not quiet my type of book.

I will say he is a good writer and he puts a lot of emotion into reading the book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This was a very varied exciting reading. It is the story of Yunior, his affairs, liaisons and his feelings. It also tells the story of his brother, his parents and life as a coloured immigrant. It shows that he long can only maintain his place by falling from a sexual adventures on the next, even more so that he is a sex addict. He falls into a deep depression from which he hardly comes out and yet he depends too much on life to make it easy to throw away. ( )
  Ameise1 | Apr 30, 2016 |
This is how you lost me. You gave me flat characters powered by preoccupations with sex and body parts, especially bushy hair, peppered the prose with Spanish words that were often slangy or derogatory, and allowed superficial, albeit energetic, descriptions of shallow thoughtlessness to masquerade as gritty literary style.

I am puzzled as to why I feel so far off the general opinion of the literary pundits who widely praise this book. I do wonder if it is because of my utter lack of exposure to any Spanish or Hispanic culture. That differs markedly from the USA, where varying degrees of Hispanic influence are ubiquitous, and this in turn may inform an American reader's interpretation and reaction. Perhaps I lack the cultural tools to appreciate it.

Nonetheless, I didn't like it. These stories left me either cold or irritated, usually the latter, and they were not redeemed by insight, poetic prose, unusual characters or stories. I had the same response to [b:Drown|531989|Drown|Junot Díaz|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1313700390s/531989.jpg|3230496] and hoped, even expected, that it was a one-off, but now I can say with certainty that I do not like Diaz's writing.
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I couldn't stop reading Junot's fast paced, energetic prose. It's hypnotic and fascinating. The last part of the novel was simply fan-tastic. ( )
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |
The strongest tales are those fueled by the verbal energy and magpie language that made “Brief Wondrous Life” so memorable and that capture Yunior’s efforts to commute between two cultures, Dominican and American, while always remaining an outsider.

“This Is How You Lose Her” doesn’t aspire to be a grand anatomy of love like Gabriel García Márquez’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” — which opens out into a luminous meditation on the varieties of love and loss and the persistence of passion — but it gives us a small, revealing window on the subject.

Así es como la pierdes es un libro sobre mujeres que quitan el sentido y sobre el amor y el ardor. Y sobre la traición porque a veces traicionamos lo que más queremos, y también es un libro sobre el suplicio que pasamos después –los ruegos, las lágrimas, la sensación de estar atravesando un campo de minas– para intentar recuperar lo que perdimos. Aquello que creíamos que no queríamos, que no nos importaba. Estos cuentos nos enseñan las leyes fijas del amor: que la desesperanza de los padres la acaban sufriendo los hijos, que lo que les hacemos a nuestros ex amantes nos lo harán inevitablemente a nosotros, y que aquello de «amar al prójimo como a uno mismo» no funciona bajo la influencia de Eros. Pero sobre todo, estos cuentos nos recuerdan que el ardor siempre triunfa sobre la experiencia, y que el amor, cuando llega de verdad, necesita más de una vida para desvanecerse.
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Okay, we didn't work, and all

memories to tell you the truth aren't good.

But sometimes there were good times.

Love was good. I loved your crooked sleep

beside me and never dreamed afraid.

There should be stars for great wars

like ours.

Sandra Cisneros
For Marilyn Ducksworth and Mih-Ho Cha honor of your friendship, your fierceness, your grace
I'm not a bad guy.

He Loves her
     He Loves her also
     He loses both

Presents a collection of stories that explores the heartbreak and radiance of love as it is shaped by passion, betrayal, and the echoes of intimacy.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,623,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible