Garment of Shadows: A novel of suspense…

Garment of Shadows: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Laurie R. King

393None27,201 (3.68)1 / 42
Member:pickupsticks
Title:Garment of Shadows: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:holmes, king

Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King (2012)

I'm not sure what it was about this book, but it was such a struggle to get through. For me, it wasn't interesting enough to hold my interest after the first few chapters. I felt that maybe it was overly descriptive of everything and I couldn't hold on to the plot before getting confused and having to re-read several things over again. Overall, I was just glad to finally finish it. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
Usual strong entry into the series. Russell is separated from Holmes by circumstance, then events draw them back together. They are meant to be. Shows most of history happens below the table..... ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 16, 2014 |
This is the twelfth book in the Mary Russell series, which gives Sherlock Holmes a romantic and professional partner--and it works. Well, almost always--I didn't like the book before this, The Pirate King much, and worried a tiny bit the series might have jumped the shark. The series truly is a favorite of mine and usually hits the spot with its mix of Sherlock Holmes pastiche, mystery, and early 20th century historical fiction. I've grown to love Mary as a character in her own right.

Thankfully this book sees King back in top form. I felt some trepidation at the end of the first chapter, when I learned the plot would feature amnesia--a device that screams melodrama and cliche. All I can say is soon I didn't mind it much--I think because of how it was used to good effect as part of the mystery trying to piece together what had happened. And while the book often splits Mary and Sherlock Holmes apart, I couldn't complain this time that there just was too little of him--and as usual, their times together were a highlight of the book. Plus, we get more of Ali and Mahmoud Hazr featured in O, Jerusalem and Justice Hall. What's not to love?

Well, that I only have a short story, "Beekeeping for Beginners," left to read of this series and then there won't be another Mary Russell book to read until early 2015. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 30, 2013 |
I liked this, I just didn't love it. It seemed low on the detection, high on the needless political details. More detection, please! ( )
  akswede | Oct 14, 2013 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
mackenzie, robert ianNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
sterlin, jennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let us learn their ways, just as they are learning ours - Hubert Lyautey
This book is dedicted to those who reach across boundaries with a hand of welcome.
The big man had the brains of a tortoise, but even he was beginning to look alarmed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553807994, Hardcover)

Q&A: Louise Penny interviewing Author Laurie R. King

Louisse Penny

Louise Penny Biography: Louise Penny is the New York Times bestselling author of eight Chief Inspector Gamache novels, which have won the New Blood Dagger, Macavity, Nero, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Agatha, Dilys, and Anthony Awards. She lives with her husband in Québec, where she is at work on her next novel.

Q: Garment of Shadows is the twelfth book in the Mary Russell series (along with the e-short story, Beekeeping for Beginners). How has Mary evolved for you from your first novels? Has she surprised you in any ways?

A: The Beekeeper's Apprentice was intended as a coming-of-age novel, in which a brilliant young mind grows into its own under the guidance of an equally brilliant, if unlikely, tutor: one Sherlock Holmes. That book set the stage for a life (and a relationship) that has circled the globe both physically and metaphorically, and over the decade of their adventures, she has definitely evolved.

As for surprising me, I'm the kind of writer who researches closely, plots vaguely, and then dives in and follows the characters as they meet the challenges of the time and place. I positively depend on my characters surprising me.

Q: A big part of your mysteries is the globetrotting element. What has led you to set your mysteries in so many places?

A: It isn’t just that it gives me an excuse to travel. Honestly.

Sherlock Holmes is English: specifically, a Londoner. Sherlock Holmes is also solitary, accompanied only by Dr. Watson. When I started writing Holmes, I envisioned him as a supporting actor, but soon found myself exploring his character, forcing him outside his stereotypes and making demands on him that Conan Doyle never did: a Victorian in a post-WWI world; a solitary man in a serious relationship; an Englishman in foreign lands.

And I was fascinated to find how he both developed and remained true to himself. Sherlock Holmes as a travelling magician in rural India, or a Bedouin in Palestine, is both the same man and intriguingly different.

Their travel also puts Russell on a more level plane with him, since even if he’s familiar with the country, she has the advantage of youth’s natural flexibility to adapt.

Q: How do you approach the historical relevancy of the time period and place? How much of the Arab Spring has influenced Garment of Shadows?

A: Historical fiction is both a window and a mirror. My readers are people who love to learn about other times and places (and yes, I am a compulsive researcher!). Yet without the reflection of our own concerns and experiences, a historical novel has as much appeal as a stack of 3”x5” cards.

As a writer, my primary task is to entertain. But we writers are sly, and we have deeper goals. We aim to leave the reader thinking, just a little, about these different yet oddly familiar people.

While I was writing Garment of Shadows, which draws in part on the 1920s Moroccan independence movement, the crowds gathered in Tahrir Square: no doubt that awareness wove its way into the story, just as the story now will weave its way into the minds of its readers. A novel is an entertainment, but it is also a mirror giving a new perspective on the world.

Q: If you could grant Russell and Holmes one modern convenience in solving their mysteries, what would it be?

A: Holmes would leap at the Internet, gloating over all the world's information at his fingertips. Russell, on the other hand, would love cell phones—she's forever wondering what on earth Holmes is up to.

Would it be cheating to give them both smart phones?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:42 -0400)

Waking up in Morocco with no memory of her identity, Mary Russell is enmeshed in the political and military uprisings of Europe, while Sherlock Holmes taps the assistance of T. E. Lawrence to restore Mary's memory and prevent a full-scale war that threatens countless lives.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible