Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon

Don't Turn Around (edition 2012)

by Michelle Gagnon

Member:Reesa111
Title:Don't Turn Around
Authors:Michelle Gagnon
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read, Your library, Favorites

Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon

Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon is a novel about a conspiracy that gets people killed if that get too close. I would call this novel barely science fiction but definitely suspense. It is a planned trilogy.

Noa's parents are dead, and she's been a ward of the state for years. She learned how to hack and can do just about anything on a computer. She wakes up in a room that seems to be a hospital room and has had surgery. She has no memory of needing surgery or being admitted. She has great instincts and knows that something is wrong, so she fights her way out and is on the run from these unknown people who want her back.

Peter is the son of wealthy parents whose brother died from a disease that no one has been able to cure, as it kills young people. His father disdains Peter and feels like the better son died, so Peter does his own thing. He has a great car and plenty of money, so who needs parents? Peter established a group on the web that fights against abuses by getting even or making a statement via technology. One night Peter looks through his dad's computer and becomes curious at what he finds. Within an hour of researching his find, men break into the house and steak Peter's computer, telling him to tell his parents Mr. Mason was there. Peter's parents hastily return home but refuse to explain.

Peter and Noa come together when Peter recruits her and others to find out who the company is and what is truly going on. Overall, you'll enjoy the novel. It is fast-paced and suspenseful. ( )
  acargile | Mar 30, 2014 |
As they say this was a thrill ride, no really I really liked it. It reads like I was watching a movie. I could see and feel the urgency of the scenes. Of course the thing the book has over watching on a screen whether big or small is that I was able to get into the character's head. I knew what drives them and makes them tick.

The suspense, mystery and adventure Noa and Peter encountered in the story, separately and eventually together made me nervous, and captivated. I thought the concept and storytelling were great. A really good nail biting read. ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

Brief summary: Two hackers, one a boy who has lead a privileged life and the other a girl running from the foster care system, stumble upon a medical conspiracy and fight to protect themselves and expose the corrupt company involved.

Thoughts: I enjoyed this book I thought it was well paced and interesting. It didn't feel dumbed down (which can happen when an author switches from adult books to YA) and the dialogue seemed realistic. I know very little about computers so I can not speak about the accuracy of the hacks but they seemed plausible and the explanations were short and kept my attention. The parts that were suppose to be sad didn't really make me feel for the characters- I think there was more action and suspense in this book then emotion. I did like the ending- I like that the book didn't just leave you in the middle of a sentence or action sequence although it did leave you in the middle of a mini-climax which is, I assume, meant to set up the next book.

All in all I would recommend this book and I will probably pick up the next one. ( )
  Rebecca790 | Sep 21, 2013 |
  scducharme | Aug 25, 2013 |
This is a fast-paced and inventive novel—especially the opening and closing sections.

When Noa Torson woke up, the first thing she noticed was that here feet were cold.

After waking up on an operating table with no memory of how she got there, Noa must team up with computer hacker Peter to stop a corrupt corporation with a deadly secret.

Michelle Gagnon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible