Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy) by Jennifer…

Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy) (edition 2012)

by Jennifer Estep

Member:creative.mother
Title:Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy)
Authors:Jennifer Estep
Info:Kensington Books (2012), Kindle Edition, 401 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013
Rating:*****
Tags:ebook, kindle, urban fantasy

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep

English (23)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (24)
NOTE: I received this book from Netgalley to review.

Firstly, I would like to say that I requested Crimson Frost before I even started reading this series. So then I decided it was about time I gave it a chance. But, as some of you may remember, and if not, just check out my review of Touch of Frost, the very first book flunked my expectations. I was too disappointed to even express my feelings properly.

So, naturally, I decided that I should just abandon all attempts on the Mythos Academy.

And yet!

And yet, when I saw Crimson Frost on my Netgalley shelf, I thought: "Why the heck not?" I mean, even if it was bad, it couldn't be worse than book one, right?

Truth is, that I was surprised in two exactly opposite ways.

On the positive side were several things:

1. It turned out that skipping the two books in between didn't affect my understanding of the events so far. So yay! I was up to date with no reason to go back and read books 2 and 3.

2. The story had actually progressed nicely over a span of several months, and I saw that finally, after three whole books, Logan and Gwen were on their first date. Wow!

Unfortunately there were negative sides too:

1. The descriptions were too long, to the infinitesimal detail, which wasn't interesting to me, so I found myself skipping over them most of the time. Because, honestly, I remembered quite well from the first book what the Library of Antiquities looked like (and other places too). There was no need to describe every small detail every time Gwen entered the place. After the second time around it just got boring. I don't know about other readers, but I'm certain I don't need to be reminded where each shelf and case and statue stood. Besides, that's quite irrelevant to the story.

2. The author's research on the Bogatyr warriors wasn't accurate. They weren't Russian warriors, as she said they were. They were Slavic and Mongolian knights, who fought while horseback riding. No two swords and whatever else Alexei was supposed to be fighting with. You may wonder why I'm even mentioning this, but I hate it when an author includes half true info about things that exist in the world. I mean, either do it all the way, or don't do it at all.

About the characters, here's what I have to say:

*Gwen* has grown into a slightly more bearable person. She was quite annoying in the first book, but I see that she's progressed. She isn't completely dependable on others and stuff. However, she's still lacking some sense of logic.

*Logan* is still this freaking super warrior, but he's also quite messed up on the inside. He seems to be quite strong, and yet unable to deal with guilt even when he's been forgiven for things he wasn't accountable for anyway.

*Alexei* I guess was nice and all that. I did totally want to smack him on the head when he didn't bother to defend Gwen, but oh well, he had his orders and such.

Anyway, with all that said, I still think the novel was good enough. I don't think I'd be reading on though. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

Wooow… This book is by far the best I’ve read from this series till now. The moment you start reading the suspense starts building. Suddenly nothing is a given anymore, there’s so much scheming going on, so many mind games… I couldn’t do anything but turn page after page. I just had to know if everything would be alright. But I wasn’t left alone for even one second to catch my breath. There’s so much happening that this book will keep you on the edge of your seat, while sincerely hoping for a happy ending. And I loved every minute!

Gwen’s task is slowly but surely revealed, finally . Although a stare in the face, it still get’s more interesting by the minute. With Nike’s guidance on how to complete her task, it looks like it will be about many different kind of creatures, so I’m thrilled and curious how everything will go. Which mythological creatures will I meet along the way? What will their stories be? I can’t wait to find out!

Talking about Gwen, she sure had a grow spurt in Crimson Frost. Finally no more idiotic or thoughtless behavior. Only well-thought plans and successful operations, well… most of the time. But you can’t expect miracles, can you ;) Anyway she’s back to the spunk-ass heroine I liked so much in A Touch of Frost. Someone who’s willing to do everything she can for her friends. Someone who has her heart in the right place and knows what to do in dire situations. Now I can finally see why Nike chose her ^^

Conclusion

4 HEARTS. I liked this book so much more than the others. Everything those lacked, I could find here. It’s a stunning story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Cause it’s impossible to predict what will happen. And the only way to find out is by reading the next page. I was also very happy with Gwen, who made a tremendous improvement. No more annoying heroine! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
*Many thanks to Kensington for sending a review copy of this book*

Quick Review...for when I don't have a lot to say...

I find myself liking Gwen more and more with each book in this series. I think she's getting stronger as we go. I didn't really like her much in the first book, but she's definitely growing on me.

Daphne started out this series as one of my least favorite characters. I thought she was the stereotypical mean girl, but I was wrong about her. She's turned into a very good friend - loyal and smart. I really like her. I also really like Carson, her band-geek boyfriend. He's very lovable.

The plot thickens as well. Now, everyone thinks Gwen is behind the events of Dark Frost, the previous installment. I'm really enjoying where we're headed. I have some ideas about what could happen and I'll be interested to see if I'm right. The action was just right in this book. It kept me hooked and wanting more. Yay for that!

I'm looking forward to Midnight Frost, which comes out later this year. Stay tuned for my thoughts on that.

Crimson Frost gets 3.5 Eiffel Towers. ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
OMG! Got this from NetGalley! YAY! now I'll do a Mythos Academy marathon! :D
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Library/Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thoughts when Finished: Nothing like a little arrest to make you realize that the game has stepped up to "no turning back now"!

Story Thoughts: Poor Gwen! The girl just can't catch a break even when on her very first date with a hot Spartan. Heck, even Logan needs a break because not only is it his dad doing the arresting but he has to relive some old family trama. Overall, Crimson Frost had political intrigue, family issues, and growing pains for Gwen and Logan. This was a game changer in their relationship and also how the world at large plays into the fight. Needless to say, it was a nail biter.

Character Thoughts: I like Gwen! She is spunky, smart, and just downright original. I also really like Logan. He is smart, strong, and not perfect. For some reason it is always important that the leads be flawed. I really like the adults (Grandma, Teachers) in Crimson Frost. They aren't absent or uncaring. They show up! They are there! They are adults. Granted these kids are being taught to fight and take on above their age situations so the adults act accordingly but they are there. Gwen's circle of friends are a big reason why Gwen is able to be kick ass. They have her back and I think a new one made the circle this time. Which is good because I liked him. The characters are what make this series shine!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Tara Sands / Release Date: 12-24-12

I liked Tara Sands narration of this series. She does a great job with Gwen and nails her spunk! The boys voices are less done well but her cadence works for them. This one had more of the guys so the audio rating is lower than normal. Overall this is one of those series that I half read/half listen too but the audio overall works for me.

Final Thoughts: Next one please! ( )
  thehistorychic | Aug 28, 2013 |
"I have a confession to make."

Arrested in the middle of her first date with Logan and wrongly accused of helping the Reapers free the evil god Loki, Gwen is shocked to learn that her accuser is Logan's father and that everyone at Mythos Academy believes she is guilty.

76 wanted2 pay6 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,335,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible