Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2) by Carrie…

Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2)

by Carrie Harris

I had the first book in the series, “Bad Taste in Boys” on my radar thanks to its gleefully kitsch 50s sci-fi B-movie synopsis yet never got around to reading it, mainly because I could never find it in UK and I’m too cheap to pay for shipping. I began reading the 2nd in the series with the typical hesitations of a reader coming into a series without the full story, but luckily it was easy enough to pick up in this short, if tiresome read. Once again, this is a paranormal YA that promises big and doesn’t deliver.

I really should have written this review straight after finishing the book, but university work got in the way, because it was entirely forgettable and I’m having trouble remembering simple elements such as character names. This isn’t a good sign. Unfortunately, “Bad Hair Day” is generic in every sense of the word. The heroine is the geek who doesn’t know she’s pretty, the handsome but bland love interest, the shoe-horned in romantic conflict, the quirky but mostly absent parents and sibling, the casual disparaging comments towards girls who present a threat – they’re all here. At times it feels like join-the-dots storytelling, especially since the pacing for this short book is completely erratic, veering between fumbled exposition and drawn out and entirely unnecessary romance subplot and shorts bursts of action that do nothing to liven up what should be a short, silly read. Despite the attempts at humour – and I did snigger once or twice – the book never fully decides whether it wants to be a camp take on kitschy horror and sci-fi or a conventional paranormal tale. I’m personally quite disappointed that it didn’t take the latter route since the genre desperately needs less po-faced seriousness.

The book reads younger than YA, with the immaturity of the supposed genius teenage heroine seeming more suited to a middle-grade character. There’s nothing in this book to outright hate, it’s just too bland and inoffensive for that.

2/5.
  Ceilidhann | Sep 20, 2013 |
High school senior Kate Grable has just arrived at the morgue to be mentored by the local medical examiner when the police come and arrest her mentor. At the same time, mutilated bodies are brought in prompting Kate to wonder - were they murdered by something inhuman? Not again! In this second installment, teen medical geek Kate may be tracking a new threat, different from the zombies she hunted in Harris’ Bad Taste in Boys. The book is so outrageous that it’s comical. It’s high school science geek vs. hairy creatures with claws. Will heroic brainiac Kate once again solve the mysterious murder spree before it gets out of hand? Unlike other dark tales of monstrous creatures in today’s urban fantasies, Harris takes a tongue-in-cheek approach. The writing is simple and basic – out of the mouths of teens, one might say. The absence of any strong, reliable, intelligent adult is a bit too convenient but that’s part of the teen crime-solver plot. The story is definitely light and meant to entertain but strains credibility. It won’t appeal to those who prefer the high drama and terror of typical werewolf stories but teens looking for a taste of horror without the intense drama and gore may find the book a lark. ( )
  love_of_books | Aug 18, 2013 |
Carrie Harris's sequel to Bad Taste in Boys is exactly what I expected from her. If you've ever visited her website you'll know what I mean. Bad Hair Day picks up soon after Bad Taste in Boys ends and Kate is still adjusting to all of the attention she's been getting ever since curing the "zombie" virus. In Bad Taste in Boys she got the boy she wanted and now she's struggling to deal with having a boyfriend who is really beyond her geeky social status while at the same time trying to save the world again.

I love that Kate's character doesn't change from one book to the other. Even though she's famous, she stays true to her science geek character and once the new mystery starts she is completely focused on solving it. There were some interesting scenes between Kate and her boyfriend Aaron. But he wasn't a big player in the story, mainly because Kate is too independent to fall into the whole "I love you too much to do anything without you" routine. In fact, Kate almost forgets about him while embroiled in her mystery.

I actually found the interactions between Kate and her brother, Jonah, to be the most entertaining. I don't have a brother, but can imagine how one would be so annoying, especially if he wore tights and played with a sword all day.

There is of course a certain amount of reality that needs to be checked before opening the book, even for a paranormal book. Kate's ability to perform some complex surgical procedures, the police department's willingness to divulge sensitive information to her, and the hospital's lack of knowledge that a high school senior is acting as medical examiner makes things convenient for the plot, but doesn't toe the line of reality.

For me this was a quick, fun read and really, once the line "You don't understand. I'm team Edward!" crossed the page, I was all in. This is a definite must read for anyone who's looking for something a quirky and fast paced. ( )
  AngelaFristoe | Dec 4, 2012 |
I was initially drawn to the title when I saw Bad Hair Day by Carrie Harris because I’ve certainly had more than my fair share of bad hair days. I’ve often thought my hair was a non-intelligent life form from another planet but that’s a different story altogether. When I read the concept for this novel, I realized the title was a clever play on words and the story wasn’t about anything as boring as my latest hair disaster. If you like paranormal mysteries with a smart kick-butt teen heroine then Bad Hair Day might just be the book for you. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=4937. ( )
  PopcornReads | Nov 13, 2012 |
Bad Hair Day picks up not long after Bad Taste in Boys ends. As you may recall, super geeky, seizure prone, science nerd Kate found the cure for what was turning her classmates into zombies at the end of the last book. It was a close call, but she managed. Now, Kate is pretty much a celebrity. Not only that, but she's landed a spot on the county premed program. She can't wait to dive in and get her surgery on, but in Kate's world, everything doesn't always work out exactly the way she had planned. On her first day she finds herself assigned to work with the coroner. She's not exactly thrilled at the idea, but agrees to give it a chance at the persuasion of her mentor. No sooner have they made it to the morgue than the police show up to arrest said mentor. Turns out he may have some information on a murder that just happened. Determined to find out if the good doctor is, in fact, a murderer, Kate stays on and begins digging around in typical Kate fashion. As the bodies begin to pile up, and talk of hairy beasts roaming the town increase, it's once again up to Kate to figure out just what is going on.

The minute I first heard about this book, I knew I had to read it. I thought Bad Taste in Boys was hysterical. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. I'd expected a typical zombie thriller, but what I got was a lot of zombie comedy.

I love Kate, and I love the voice Ms. Harris has given her. She's smart, quirky, a little neurotic and totally lovable. Most of the other characters are great as well, but they all take a back seat to Kate. The only one I really had a hard time with in this book was Elle. She was the stereotypical rival/bad girl. She just felt a little too cookie cutter for my taste. I'm also not a huge fan of Aaron (the jock boyfriend), but he serves his purpose. What I do like is that Kate isn't the typical "OMG, I can't live without him," type. She's too focused on her work to worry about whether or not a boy is going to call her or not.

The werewolves at the center of this story are not typical, just like the zombies in the first book weren't your typical zombies. Again, this is a science/medical mystery, but Ms. Harris makes the science part fun with her witty prose. As in the first book, I found myself laughing out loud several times. These books are meant to be fun and not taken too seriously, and if you read them with that in mind, you'll enjoy them a lot more.

If you're looking for a fun, short read for a lazy afternoon, I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  booktwirps | Nov 8, 2012 |

Kate Grable is geeked out to shadow the county medical examiner as part of her school's premed program. But after he's arrested for murder, she's left with the bodies. And when Kate's brother, Jonah, stumbles upon a dead gamer girl, Kate realizes that the zombie epidemic she cured last fall was only the beginning of the weirdness taking over her town. Someone—or something—is murdering kids. Something really hairy. And strong. Possibly with claws.

Could it be werewolves, like Jonah and his dorktastic friends think? Kate's supposed to be a butt-kicking, zombie-killing genius . . . but if she can't figure out what's behind the freakish attacks, the victims—or what's left of them—are going to keep piling up.

"Readers will get a kick out of this book that reads like a Wes Craven movie. The plot may be a little far-fetched, but the ride is so much fun it doesn't much matter . . .  what's not to love?"--Kirkus Reviews

"Kate combines the smarts of Veronica Mars with the attitude of Buffy . . .  a fast-paced read."--School Library Journal

"Entirely enjoyable."--Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

Future physician Kate Grable is thrilled to shadow the county medical examiner, but when he is arrested for murder and Kate is left to run the morgue, she discovers that something is killing students--something very hairy and strong.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,604,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible