The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler

The Imposter Bride (edition 2013)

by Nancy Richler

Member:TheBigNerd
Title:The Imposter Bride
Authors:Nancy Richler
Info:St. Martin's Press (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

The Imposter Bride by Nancy Richler

English (33)  Norwegian (1)  All (34)
This book made me imagine that author Nancy Richler, who writes beautiful prose, went to a writer's workshop one day and was asked to write something about a child being abandoned by a parent. When she submitted the original, the story of Ruth and her mother Lily, the instructor was rightly impressed, and suggested that she write the story from another character's point of view. This process might have been repeated until Richler decided to put all the parts together. This is just my imagination, but it demonstrates what the novel felt like to me. The connection between the various characters was there, but very fragile. There were too many chapters where the reader is asked to start over in order to determine who the narrator is, where in the world the action is occurring, and when it's taking place. Yes, it all fits, but it takes work to follow it from chapter to chapter and it detracts from the beautiful prose. ( )
1 vote lansum | Jan 18, 2017 |
Who are you if everything you know about yourself is based on a deception? This is the story of Ruth - a young woman growing up in mid-century Montreal who was abandoned by her mother, Lily Azerov, three months after her birth. Lily steps off the train in Montreal after the Holocaust to meet her future husband - he promptly rejects her. Sol's brother, Nathan likes what he sees, however and steps in to become the bridegroom. Lily is not what she seems. Like many who survived the horrors of WW2, the young woman has taken over the identity of another who died during this time. There are others who knew the real Lily Azerov and quickly surmise that this young woman is not Lily. Unable to live with her deception, Lily abandons her family. The story is told from a number of different perspectives - the most interesting being that of her daughter, Ruth. Ruth spends her adult life trying to understand who she is, who her mother is and what her place is in her loving and supportive family.

The characters of Ruth, her neighbour Ida and her daughter Elke, who keep Lily's secret are well fleshed out and interesting. Unfortunately, the story of Lily feels very vague and I was not able to find her to be a sympathetic character. It was disappointing, since Lily is the character upon which everything hinges.

I guess that since this book was shortlisted for the 2012 Giller Prize, I expected more. If I had bought it for a 'beach read', I would have had lower expectations and found it more satisfying. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Dec 1, 2016 |
Lily Azerov arrives in post-war Montrreal, Canada to meet her betrothed. But once she gets off the train, he turns her down. His brother however, decides to marry instantly. But is Lily really who she claims to be?
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 8, 2016 |
This is another of the shortlisted books for this year's Giller Prize. The bride in question is a Jewish woman who has fled Europe in WW2, and has eventually arrived in Montreal, to take part in an arranged marriage. As soon as her betrothed lays eyes on her, he rejects her, to his everlasting regret, because his brother steps in and does what needs to be done. But Lily Azerov is not who she claims to be, and soon after her daughter is born, she abandons her family. This story is told from multiple perspectives but mostly from that of the daughter as she grows up struggling to understand the absence of a mother, and then trying in vain to understand how a mother could leave her child. The mother leaves behind only a few enigmatic clues and a trail of stones over the years.
The writing is fluid and occasionally sparkles with lovely prose. The background story of the bride aka Lily is drip fed slowly to us, and the reasoning or excuses for this, as given by the book's characters, don't really ring true -- it just conveniently suits its role as a literary device. The story unfolds in a disappointingly predictable fashion, but in the end is all quite tidy, if not really satisfying. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
I was really touched by this story of loss: loss of family, identity, history, human connection. Richler did a fantastic job at capturing the hectic and ignoble days at the war was brought to an end and still people had to fight to survive. It must have been a time of terrible confusion, looking for absent relatives, pulling bits of broken lives faced the horrible reality of having to reconstruct from scratch.
I found Lily to be an incredibly human character: we can neither judge her or call her out on her actions. She was simply trying to catch her bearings. Richler did a tremendous job of contrasting Canadians who stayed at home and saw the war from afar compared to the European who lived it all too closely. The realities are so different and there is always that gap in understanding.
The structure of the novel is also very clever: a soul-searching book but revealed, little by little, so that the reader cannot help but want to dig deeper into the past, looking for clues, trying to figure out if Lily is good or bad.
I was very much enthralled and taken by this story, one which I would very much recommend. ( )
  Cecilturtle | Jun 9, 2014 |
The Imposter Bride is in many ways a mystery novel; the question of who Ruth’s mother actually is propels the narrative as pieces of her story are slowly revealed. In this vein, it is successful, leaving the reader hanging until near the end. But this book has far greater ambitions. It attempts to explore the process and necessity of unearthing the hidden parts of ourselves that lie buried in the traumas of the past — a past that often long precedes our existence. This is a deep and vast theme. One wishes Richler had ventured into it with less caution, giving readers the opportunity to view her characters in a more varied light than their good intentions and innocence suggest. In a realm of moral ambiguity, the full breadth and nuance of this sweeping narrative may fully come to life.

Finally, Richler is back, and with an elegant, ambitious, accomplished new work. The Imposter Bride elaborates Richler’s essential themes: Jewish history, maternal absence, female experience and the significance of the word. ...For those of us who are not children of survivors (I’m not), but who have friends who are (I do), and who have wondered (as I have) how a devastated Jewish family moves forward in faith and love and grace, this novel serves as a gut-wrenching education.

And yet, there is also something compelling about the saga Richler creates. We want to know each character’s history. Who is Lily, really? Why did she leave? Will Ruth ever find her? And what’s up with the rocks? There are many plot elements and scenes that could easily be deleted without detracting from the overall fabric of the narrative, but we are able to forgive these asides because, in the end, Richler manages to make us care about her vast catalogue of broken souls, even in their most trivial moments.

You whom I could not save/Listen to me./Try to understand this simple speech as I would be ashamed of another./I swear, there is in me no wizardry of words./I speak to you with silence like a cloud or a tree -- Czeslaw Milosz, "Dedication", Warsaw, 1945
For Janet and Martin. And for Vicki.
In a small room off a banquet hall in Montreal, Lily Karmer sat in silence with her new husband.

The Imposter Bride is a jewel of a book. With a true storyteller’s craft, Richler spins her tale and her characters from the wreckage that was the inheritance of World War II, each life carrying a secret burden of loss. At the center of this story is a bride who comes to Canada with a stolen identity. The shockwaves that ripple out from her sudden disappearance shape—and bind—the lives of all those she touched. These are characters that will stay with you long after you read the last word of the book. They are characters that show us that even out of the greatest tragedy, it is possible to shape hope and love.

A novel about a mysterious mail-order bride in the wake of World War II, whose sudden decision ripples through time to deeply impact the daughter she never knew.

18 wanted2 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,467 books! | Top bar: Always visible