Book, Line, and Sinker (A Library Lover's…

Book, Line, and Sinker (A Library Lover's Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Jenn McKinlay

Member:Maydacat
Title:Book, Line, and Sinker (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Authors:Jenn McKinlay
Info:Berkley (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:cozy, mystery

Book, Line And Sinker by Jenn McKinlay

English (15)  Piratical (1)  All languages (16)
Murder mystery in small coastal Conn. town, throw in a treasure hunt for Capt. Kidd treasure and likeable characters.Enjoyable read. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
When the obnoxious head of tourism in Briar Creek (Connecticut) is killed, suspicion falls on Milton Duffy, one of Lindsey Norris’s favorite patrons at the Briar Creek Public Library. Milton and the victim, Trudi Hargrave, had a public shouting match in the library and Milton HAD threatened Trudi. But Lindsey is certain Milton, normally a calming presence, could not have murdered her. But who did?

In between dates with her hunky beau, tour-boat captain Mike “Sully” Sullivan AND doing her normal work as library director, Lindsey does a bit of snooping. Then her ex-fiancé shows up … and Lindsay is not happy about that. Lindsey dumped the cheating tomcat before the wedding happened but John wants to woo her. Fat chance … Lindsey is pretty much over him.

Trudi’s death happened on an island just off the cost, where a treasure-hunting company wants to open a tourist business. The project was controversial in town, with everyone weighing in for or against. And the island was the site of a long-ago murder – and the presumed perpetrator has never been found.

This is a lovely series – and as an active “friend of the library,” I love the setting. Lindsey is a great cozy heroine, although her love-life sometimes gets in the way of the story. I don’t mind if there’s tinge of romance in my mysteries, but I think the romance is getting to be too much. The series, however, is one of my favorites. ( )
  NewsieQ | Mar 22, 2016 |
Mediocre - listened to it on CD's, didn't care for narrator. ( )
  NanaDebbie | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is the third book in the A Library Lover's Mystery series. Another exciting story from Jenn McKinlay.

The Riordan Salvage company wants to search Ruby Island, off the coast of Briar Creek, for the reputed buried treasure of Captain Kidd. This has the community in an uproar on both sides. Trudi Hargrave and Milton Duffy, are just two, who are at odds over this and are having a heated discussion at the library over this. In addition to this, John, Lindsey's former boyfriend, has shown up in Briar Creek for an extended visit.

Sully and Lindsey are taking some personal items out to Charlie who is working for salvage company and is staying on the island to guard against scavengers. As soon as they are ashore, Charlie informs them that he has discovered a body in a pit. The body turns out to be Trudi and what with her heated arguments with Milton, he becomes a prime suspect.

Lindsey is sure that Milton is in no way involved and it busy trying to the murderer. But she also must make time to impress upon John that there is no future for them as a couple. Needless to say, Sully is having problems dealing with John's sudden appearance.

All of our friends from the Crafternoon Book Group book are here to help Lindsey. Especially, Beth, who does a wonderful job as being a pirate.

Looking forward to the next book and see what Lindsey and Sully might be up to. ( )
  FredYoder | May 9, 2015 |
The third book of The Library Lover's Mystery has Lindsey puzzling out the murder of the head of the Briar Creek tourism association, an unctuous woman known as Trudi Hargrave. Her death seems to be connected to an old map that might lead to the location of buried treasure. Soon the town is caught up in pirate fever, and it is up to Lindsey to uncover the truth behind the murder.

The third installment shows the same marked improvement from the first that was seen in the second - even I, nitpicker extraordinaire, found no glaring mistakes in the prose. The writing seems to have fallen into a more natural, immensely more readable state.

The murder plot is still unpolished, as far as these things go, and like the first, which raised more questions than it solved (How did the murderer get onto the island again?), this one feels incomplete. It solves whodunit, but fails to delve into the why or how. It also feels a little depressing that Lindsey never manages to solve the crime herself through clues, but seems to randomly stumble onto the murderer, who chooses to reveal himself and monologue about why he (or she) did it. Apparently if murderers in Briar Creek didn't have as much respect for the intellectual prowess of librarians, they would never get caught. If I sound harsh, I don't mean to - I rarely expect much of cozy mystery plots, and while it would be nice if one delivered, I don't have too much of a problem if it lives up to the genre standard.

The romance takes a turn when Lindsey's old ex-fiance, John, blows into town, determined to win Lindsey back. I was pleasantly surprised when Lindsey tells him that she doesn't want him back and that she's dating dreamboat (pardon the pun) Sullivan. It seemed that everyone was going to act like rational adults for once. However, my hopes were dashed when Sullivan misinterprets Lindsey's desire to see John not die at the hands of the murderer as unresolved feelings. So apparently in this world, if you break up with someone, you should be at best indifferent to their imminent demise. I understand the need to shake things up, but this was stretching my suspension of disbelief.

Still, overall, it was pretty good, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I'm looking forward to the fourth installment.
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
For Carole Towles and Sheila Levine,
fabulous librarians and priceless gal pals,
you inspire me every day in every way. Friends until the end and then some, ladies.
XO
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES (for the Center Point Large Print Edition):

The text of this Large Print edition is unabridged. In other aspects, this book may vary from the original edition.

Library of Congress cataloging-in-publication data are provided.

[noted opposite the title page] This Large Print book carries the seal of approval of N.A.V.H. [National Association for Visually Handicapped]

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

DUST JACKET'S BACK FLAP INFORMATION:

Books are produced in the United States using U.S.-based materials.

Books are printed using a revolutionary new process called THINKtech(TM) that lowers energy usage by 70% and increases overall quality.

Books are durable and flexible because of smythe-sewing.

Paper is sourced using environmentally responsible foresting methods and the paper is acid-free.

Lindsey is enjoying her second year in Briar Creek as the library director, meeting with the crafternoon club, and happily dating tour boat captain Mike Sullivan. But when a salvage company arrives in town to dig up treasure buried on Pirate Island over three hundred years ago, the locals are torn between protecting the island and welcoming the publicity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,229,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible