An Apple for the Creature by Charlaine…
Member:msbhaven
Title:An Apple for the Creature
Authors:Charlaine Harris
Other authors:Toni L. P. Kelner (Editor)
Info:Ace Hardcover (2012), Hardcover

An Apple for the Creature by Charlaine Harris (Editor) (2012)

The theme of this anthology is school, and all the stories revolve around teaching or take place in a school.

Playing Possum by Charlaine Harris

This story stars Sookie Stackhouse. I’ve never read a Sookie novel before, but this story was surprising easy to get into. Sookie and her nephew have to use their mind reading powers to stop a gunman determined to shoot up the elementary school. While this story is easy to read I found it a little boring.

Spellcaster 2.0 by Jonathan Maberry

As a college project Trey and a group of his friends are making a database of all the spells in the world, with the idea of selling access to it to make money after school. Unfortunately for him, someone is trying to sabotage their work. Is it merely the work of another student or is something darker going on?

I really liked this story, I think its one of the best stories in this collection. I’d never read anything by this author before but I’m intrigued enough to look him up.

Academy Field Trip by Donald Harstad

What if the FBI not only knew about Vampires, but had a special task force dedicated to the case? Claire is taking a class about information gathering, but is taken on a recruitment field trip to learn about vampires.

I didn’t like this story at all. The story takes a long time to get going, and meanders around a lot. I did like the twist, but I’d seen it coming since midway through the story.

Sympathy for the Bones by Marjorie M. Liu

This story is about a hoodoo witch apprentice trying to get free of her teacher’s control. But can dark powers really be turned to good?

The writing in this is very visceral and dark. I really got sucked into this one. This is another author I want to read more of.

Low School by Rhys Brown

This is the classic nightmare story of showing up for a test totally unprepared. Of not knowing where you classroom is, and showing up naked for class. There is a deeper story here, but I don’t want to spoil this one. The writing is tight, and the twist is fun.

Callie meet Happy by Amber Benson

If you used to watch Buffy, Amber Benson played the part of Tara. I didn’t know that besides being an actress she is also a writer.

This is a spinoff story from her Calliope Reaper-Jones series, about Callie the CEO of Death, Inc. In this story Callie is taking a remedial wormhole class so she doesn’t have to rely on her assistant to get around. Callie gets asked to demonstrate her wormhole summoning in front of the class things go wrong. She ends up in a different dimension and can’t figure out how to wormhole herself home. This story is ok, but again because its a spinoff story it helps if you know the characters.

Iphigenia in Aulis by Mike Carey

This was my absolute favorite story in this collection. Melanie’s elementary school experience is interrupted by an attack of ‘Hungries,’ man eating zombies. But something is off about the school, and Melanie has to figure out what is wrong before the Hungries take over the school.

Golden Delicious by Faith Hunter

Another spinoff story, this one from Faith’s Skinwalker series. I had a really hard time understanding what was going in this story. There were a lot of characters dumped in all at once, and the situation isn’t clear at first. All the characters have a lot of background too.

The storyline felt mushed in and too big for a short story.

Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews

Set in Ilona Andrew’s Kate Daniel’s world, this story is told from Julie’s, Kate’s ward, POV. Julie is sent to a boarding school to investigate the disappearance of one of the students. Julie is one of my favorite characters in this series, and I loved this story. Magic, dragons, dryads, and of course, school, all wrapped up in a fun story.

An Introduction to Jewish Myth and Mysticism by Steve Hockensmith

I loved the twist of this story, because I never saw it coming. This story is about two college professors, and one of them sets about to teach the other a little something about relationships.

VSI by Nancy Holder

VSI stands for Vampire Scene Investigations, and is about two cops sent to a two week training course about how to spot vampire related crimes. But does the subject of vampires hit a little too close to home for one of the agents?

Another fun story with tight writing and a nice twist.

The Bad Hour by Thomas E. Sniegoski

A simple class on dog training goes wrong when ‘The Bad Hour’ shows up. I loved that one of the main characters of this story was a dog. This seems to be another story set in an established universe, but the author does an excellent job of introducing the two characters.

Pirate Dave and the Captain’s Ghost by Toni L. Kelner

This story comes in close second for my favorite story of the collection. Newly minted werewolf Joyce is attending a werewolf retreat to learn more about her new-found status in the supernatural world. But one of the attendees is more interested in finding out more about her, and won’t take no for an answer.

Overall, this collection has a wealth of good stories and very few duds. I probably would have appreciated it more if I’d been familiar with more of the other authors in the collection, but overall I enjoyed it. ( )
  Madison_Keller | Sep 14, 2014 |
★★★★ for Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews only.

I've been supremely annoyed by Julie in the past. For example, in Gunmetal Magic, I wanted to punch her in the face. Well, color me surprised, because she was pretty awesome in this one. She has a likable voice and she's smart, which are things that we're unable to see when she's a side character as opposed to the MC.

She's like a little mini-Kate, surely due to being trained and shaped by her. I could totally get down with a Julie novel or series. I'm always salivating for more Kate and on the lookout for psuedo-Kates, so I'd be happy to perseverate on a mini-Kate substitute - especially, as Kate would have cameos. Is it very obvious that I love Kate?

Anywho, this was a quick, smart little story with a nice little kickass scene. As with all the Andrews' shorts - moar, please.

My pathetic attempts at reviews of this amazing series:

#1, Magic Bites
#2, Magic Burns
#3, Magic Strikes
#4, Magic Bleeds
#5, Magic Slays
#5.5, Gunmetal Magic
#6, Magic Rises

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I really like the themed collections that Harris and Kelner have been doing. For one thing they have lots of writers that I do read so dipping into familiar universes is great. The plus was a new to me writer that I will probably track down and read some more stuff and that is the point of this series of collections. Mostly familiar but always something new to trip over. So if urban fantasy is your thing this collection as a bit of everything along the spectrum of what people think is urban fantasy.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
This review applies only to MAGIC TESTS by Ilona Andrews, which was really fun and short...but I won't complain about the shortness, because it was a very satisfying tidbit to tide me over until the next Kate novel. Yay! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Well look at that; this is where all the gold has been! A good portion of the stories were full of awesomeness. Some characters I knew, and others well I look forward to meeting them soon.
Don't shy away from some of the older characters.
Have fun with this one guys!
Cheers Pretties! ( )

Kelner, Toni L. P.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Liu, Marjorie M.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maberry, JonathanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sniegoski, Thomas E.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

A collection of thirteen original stories that take academic anxiety to whole new realms.

130 wanted2 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,321,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible