Diva by Jillian Larkin

“The Flappers” series is set during Prohibition in the 1920′s, and follows the lives of rich cousins Gloria Carmody, Clara Knowles, and their friend Lorraine Dyer who love partying, drinking forbidden liquor, and living the life of Flapper Girls. Gloria has just been released from jail, and is working as an undercover detective for the FBI trying to find some dirt on Forrest, a rich millionaire so she can really be freed.

Read the rest of the review on my blog: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/diva-jillian-larkin/ ( )
  ShouldIReadIt | Sep 26, 2014 |
I have lost the will to live reading this book. What a disappointment. The story is just ridiculous and I am struggling to finish it. Is the security guard really so stupid that he would allow himself to get locked into a cell/ room by a girl who doesn't believe a door can be locked because she claims to be Amish? Lack of imagination or what! Struggling all the way through this 3rd book.... what a let down ( )
  lislilbet | Jul 26, 2013 |
This book is the last part of a series and would have made a bit more sense having started at the beginning. The story is exciting and even for a young girl in her tweens it is very appropriate. I like this book because it covers a lot of topics like alcohol, hanging with the wrong crowds, making bad decisions, racism, and what it might have been like to live 90 years ago during the roaring 20′s...Read Full Review Here ( )
  crayolakym | Jun 24, 2013 |
Diva was just an ok read for me. I was happy just to finish it. There were no highs or lows, just a story with an average plot. I will say what/who held my interest was Lorraine. She was the life of the story. She was the glue that held it all together. I trudged through this book to see what she would do or say next. I also liked Melvin. I knew he would get his just due in the end. I'm sorry but I don't have much more to add. However, the story was very descriptive-scenes,clothing and a bit of history.

I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House/Delacorte for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.

Sunflower38 | Apr 11, 2013 |
I received this as an advance copy and enjoyed the other two books of the series so I was eager to jump into the final book. The roaring 20's and all its decadence captivates the reader and it is easy to see how you can lose yourself in the fun without seeing the underlying lessons of interracial relationships, gangsters and that crime doesn't pay. Gloria gets out of jail if she can get the dirt on someone. The other girls are just trying to figure out how they fit in. At the end they all realize that it isn't all fun and games even if there is a rainbow ending. Even though you could read this as a stand alone I would suggest reading the series in order to appreciate the great storyline. Chicago never looked so good or so dangerous! ( )
  ltcl | Aug 7, 2012 |

Parties, bad boys, speakeasies—life in Manhattan has become a woozy blur for Clara Knowles. If Marcus Eastman truly loved her, how could he have fallen for another girl so quickly? Their romance mustn't have been as magical as Clara thought. And if she has to be unhappy, she's going to drag everyone else down to the depths of despair right along with her.

Being a Barnard girl is the stuff of Lorraine Dyer's dreams. Finding out that Marcus is marrying a gold digger who may or may not be named Anastasia? A nightmare. The old Lorraine would have sat by and let the chips fall where they may, but she's grown up a lot these past few months. She can't bear to see Marcus lose a chance for true love. But will anyone listen to her?

Now that the charges against her have been dropped, Gloria Carmody is spending the last dizzying days of summer on Long Island, yachting on the sound and palling around with socialites at Forrest Hamilton's swanky villa. Beneath her smile, though, Gloria's keeping a secret. One that could have deadly consequences . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:31 -0400)

When Marcus leaves Clara Knowles for another girl, Clara sinks into unhappiness and Lorraine Dyer tries to save Marcus from a loveless marriage, while their fellow flapper, Gloria Carmody, is hiding a deadly secret while living among socialites at Forrest Hamilton's Long Island villa.… (more)

36 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible