Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess…

Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, Vol. 2) (edition 2002)

by Meg Cabot

2,191372,962 (3.6)12
Member:psychedelicmicrobus
Title:Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, Vol. 2)
Authors:Meg Cabot
Info:HarperTeen (2002), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages

Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot

Recently added byMel4, Inguling, madasia15, madeofslate, ladypembroke, Monica91280, private library

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (37)
I'm trying to separate these characters from their movie versions. The names may be the same, but the people are different and, frankly, not as likable. Mia is oblivious and whiny, Lilly is overbearing and judgmental, and Grandmere truly sucks as a person. I adore Michael, and Mia's mom seems far more competent than Mia makes her out to be. I'll keep going, mostly to see if Mia gets herself together and if she and Michael figure their relationship out. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
Princess Mia is such a lovable and relatable character which makes the second installment of "Princess Diaries" fun and easy to read. I think almost every girl's dream is to be princess but not everyone looks like one which makes the book a peoples' book, something that is close to people's heart. I have no doubt that Mia would be a great ruler to Genovia. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |
A Book not to be taken too seriously! ( )
  ShreeJan | Jul 29, 2013 |
I definitely liked this book better than its prequel. Character development kicks into high gear. Mia is progressing with her lessons, and her struggle with them is probably what prevents her from becoming completely self-absorbed. Lilly is... meh. She's got some serious exploitative flaws that make me dislike her as a friend. First and foremost, though, I will always love the romance with Michael. It has its issues and they're not perfect, but they find value in what they have anyway, and I really like that. Good job, Meg Cabot! ( )
  frozenplums | May 3, 2013 |
One of the big problems I have with many long-running series—Princess Diaries in particular—is the point where some books start becoming filler as opposed to actual plot development. (Wait ‘til I get to book seven.) Technically, this should be one of the filler books, but it’s not. I tend to see the first three books as a mini-trilogy, and Princess in the Spotlight is a good bridge between books one and three. I like the further insight to Mia’s princess lessons, and how quickly she does have to adapt to the public eye, the romantic subplot is fairly engaging, not to mention the fact that she’s willing to try to be with Kenny. (Also, the continuing references to the “Corn-in-the-Chili" boy is even funnier after reading the whole series.) However, this also shows a lot of the weak points in the series. The constant pop culture references are jarring and shows how much the book is dated (again, reading an “updated” rerelease, the find & replace is really noticeable). This is also the first book where I really start to dislike Lilly as a friend—she’s exploitive of Mia, though not to the extent of Lana or Josh Richter, extremely dismissive, and is actually pretty rude to her friends. (In contrast, Tina Hakeem-Baba is my favorite character in the whole series. She is awesome, that is all.) My other big complaint, which is really going to show for the next few installments, is how fast the plot moves in the series’ timelines (again, we’ll touch on this a little later). Still, for all of the flaws, it’s still an enjoyable book, and I still had a ton of fun revisiting it. ( )
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sealey, AmberReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hathaway, AnneActresssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064472795, Mass Market Paperback)

Fifteen-year-old Mia Thermopolis, the witty, lovable star of Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries, has had it with princess lessons, also known as torture sessions: "Do they really think anyone in Genovia cares whether I know how to use a fish fork? Or if I can sit down without getting wrinkles in the back of my skirt? Or if I know how to say 'thank you' in Swahili? Shouldn't my future countrymen be more concerned with my views on the environment? And gun control? And overpopulation?" To make matters worse, she's getting these lessons from Grandmère, a rather judgmental woman who dresses her pet in chinchilla bolero jackets and has eyeliner permanently tattooed on her eyelids. Princess in the Spotlight further records Mia's path to princessdom: her artist mother's relationship with her algebra teacher (how awkward), her forced television interview, broadcast to all of America (how humiliating), and her crush on her best friend Lilly's brother Michael (how excruciating). The result is another thoroughly entertaining diary of a very human, very self-deprecating, very unprincesslike princess. (Ages 12 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:58 -0400)

Having recently discovered she is the sole heir to the throne of a tiny European principality, fourteen-year-old Manhattan resident Mia writes in her journal about her attempts to cope with this news, as well as with more typical teenage concerns.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible