Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by…

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (edition 2013)

by April Genevieve Tucholke

Authors:April Genevieve Tucholke
Info:Dial (2013), Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

English (58)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I wasn't quite sure what this book was going to be like and it surprised me. Violet wasn't my favorite main character, she was kind of weak when it came to River and I wanted her to be stronger. Although, how much of that was the glow? The story wasn't too realistic, but it's about powers and bad guys so what do you want. The craziest thing was Violet and Luke living totally alone at 17 while their parents abandoned them to go to Europe. Seriously, awful parenting right there. But I did like how the story played out and I liked the dynamic among the characters. I am looking forward to book 2 to see how this all plays out. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Well, happily, I can check another book off of my mountainous TBR that I missed and had to go back to. Since I first laid eyes upon this book, with its eerie cover and gothic sounding synopsis, I've wanted to read it. Sadly, I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as I hoped to. There was just too much about it that I couldn't quite bring myself to overlook.

Let's start with the good. The writing falls into this category. With only a few small exceptions, the writing does elicit a gothic feel and does a stellar job of bringing the setting to life. I could smell the ocean air and see the ramshackle manor house that our characters inhabited. While the prose may have been a little airy at times, it definitely evoked that sense of otherness that I love about books like this. A house filled with secrets, a mysterious past, the quest for knowledge, all of it spoke to me. I could feel the tension, and it was wonderful. If you'd asked me to rate this book after the first two chapters, it would have been five stars all the way.

However the more I read the less I found to love. Violet, our main character, never caught my attention. Completely skipping over the fact that she falls in insta-love with River (which I despise, but at least was slightly explained away), her overall personality drove me insane. She was always trying to make sense of things, and yet it just made things more confusing for the reader. One moment Sunshine wasn't Violet's friend, but simply a neighbor. The next, Violet was upset that Sunshine was never on her side. Why would she be? She isn't your friend, is she? Her feelings flip flopped like that through the whole book, regarding all of the other characters. By the time the prospect of a love triangle was introduced, I wanted to scream in anger.

Add in the fact that her character never really grew at all, and I was a very frustrated reader. None of the characters really grew, to be honest. In fact, I felt like most of them could have been left out and nothing would have been different. If it were only just Violet and River, we'd probably have a very similar story. Truth be told, I felt like the only reason Sunshine was even in this story in the first place to was to be a foil to our young Violet. One girl pure, the other not so much. One girl decisive, to the point of recklessness at times, the other always over thinking things. Sunshine made Violet look like an angel and, while that is likely what was intended, it made me dislike her all the more for her poor decisions.

What can I say? It's tough for me to love a book when the characters and I clash. Weak-willed Violet, frustratingly evil but randomly attractive River, and even masochistic Logan, all made me want to quit early on. I finished more from a curiosity at how this would end than anything else. Pity, really. It's such a gorgeous cover. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
In actuality, this book is probably more of a 3.5/4 star in terms of writing and the sheer amount of suspension of disbelief it requires as well as the insta-love.
But listen.
I love moral ambiguity and this book hit so many of my favourite things (Gothic tropes! Old money families! Bickering brothers!) that I don't really mind the sometimes awkward writing and the ridiculous names. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Reading this book was kind of like trying to listen to a conversation while being underwater.

But I guess that's the price you pay for having a disconnected narrator. Violet says she’s horrified, terrified, and disoriented by the whole thing, but in my mind her affect and storytelling were generally, well, even-toned. Flat, even. Which was only reinforced by the fact that she knows her new boyfriend may have pretty much executed and/or petrified-to-the-point-of-lunacy a whole host of people, but all she can muster up is a rather elusive sense of outrage. I get why she's a disconnected narrator — I get that having a lead character who is lonely, dysfunctional and detached is a trope of the horror genre. But that means you, too, are emotionally distant.

When River was kissing Violet? I had a vague impression that that must feel nice for her. When Sunshine came out screaming bloody murder? I had a hazy feeling that she must be really upset. When someone is made to cut their own throat in front of everyone? I had a dim notion that maybe that’s terrifying. But that’s all I felt — vague impressions of what I could be feeling. I was as lethargic and disengaged as Violet, or even Sunshine, the entire time.

And, probably, the author cultivated that in us to fuel the “sleepy town with something lurking under the surface” vibe — but I would much rather have had a hot-blooded storyteller take us through a horrifying tale of dominance, madness and murder. It would have made everything come into focus. I would so much have appreciated this story more if I could have seen it for what it is, rather than watching it unfold through a blurry lens.
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
Mapperlamordiddio!
Basta, non ci sono altre parole.
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Violet is in love with River, a mysterious seventeen-year-old stranger renting the guest house behind the rotting seaside mansion where Violet lives, but when eerie, grim events begin to happen, Violet recalls her grandmother's frequent warnings about the devil and wonders if River is evil.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

April Genevieve Tucholke's book Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,227,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible