Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

Then Came You

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Gamblers of Craven's (1)

Recently added byrena75, CJWeldon

I have been meaning to read these two books for a re read, and then I realized that I was in the mood for some good Kleypas re reading, and plus I could fit them into one of my reading challenges!! I was shocked to learn I hadn’t done reviews on this series and that has GOTTA change now!! Because quite frankly both of these books are amazing. But let me discuss the first book in the series…Then Came You. Now what is so great about this book?? Well quite frankly quite a bit. We have our heroine, who is unconventional, wild and free and doesn’t like to be tied to. She likes to ride, hunt, shoot, wear trousers and jump into freezing waters for a thrill. Not your typical debutante? Well she isn’t any typical heroine. But she also has many vulnerabilities, including the fact that she is on the search for her daughter who was kidnapped. When she learns her young shy and quiet sister Penelope is set to marry the formidable Alex the Lord of Wolverton. Alex seems to be harsh and cold, but he just hides who he really is. He still suffers from grief of his fiancee who died while riding and broke her neck. But Lily wakes up his passions and his possesive nature.

“I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me. Don’t you think I’d stop feeling this way if I could? It’s not as if you’re the easiest woman in the world to—” He checked himself suddenly.”

These two are quite frankly….EXPLOSIVE!! Re reading this book was a fun ride and I can’t believe I hadn’t read this one in so long. I really adored both characters, I would have five starred this one but there were a couple scenes where anger gets the best of the heroine and I didn’t exactly concur with her actions. But overall what a enjoyable story! I love the humor, the fabulous dialogue and the chemistry these two have. And we get some fun times with the hero of Dreaming Of You Derek Craven. He really pulls matchmaker a bit here, and I enjoyed his role in their story. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
Not my favorite, but I do love me some Kleypas. ( )
  PNRList | Aug 15, 2018 |
3.5* ( )
  Joana_v_v | Aug 10, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Then Came You
4 Stars

Known around London for her notorious escapades, Lily Lawson is not above playing dirty when it comes to her sister’s happiness, and she is determined to stop Penny’s marriage to the cold and reserved Alex Raiford. Alex’s fury knows no bounds when Lily begins to interfere with his plans, but he cannot help the desire he feels whenever she is near and he becomes intent on possessing her, body, heart and soul.

An enjoyable love/hate romance with some interesting if harsh insights into Georgian society. Nevertheless, there are a couple of tropes that do not appeal to me namely the fact that the heroine has a child with another man and she keeps this secret from her love interest.

The chemistry between Lily and Alex sizzles on the pages and their banter and shenanigans are laugh-out-loud funny at times. That said, under the surface humor there are several harsh and troubling themes, including women’s rights (or the lack thereof), child abuse and human trafficking. All of which demonstrate that the Georgian period was not all dukes and balls and soirées.

Lily is a charming heroine although her reckless behavior is not always consistent with her characterization as a woman desperately searching for her missing child. While she is determined to find her daughter, she also takes unnecessary chances and risks her life repeatedly. This does not make sense as what would have happened to Nicole if Lily had died?

Alex is my favorite type of hero. A man who conceals his huge heart and tremendous capacity for love beneath a dark, cold and brooding facade. It is clear from the start that he is in dire need of something or someone to shake him from his doldrums, and Lily is just was the doctor ordered.

This is also the book in which Derek Craven, widely considered to be Kleypas’s most incredible hero, is introduced. While much as been said in many a review and an article about him, I am not as certain of his appeal as he comes across as self-absorbed and manipulative. Perhaps my appreciation for him will increase once I read his book, which is next.

In sum, a delightfully entertaining read as is to be expected from Lisa Kleypas. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandmother, Ethel Kleypas
With Love
"Damn, damn . . . there it goes, the frigging thing!"

She thought her heart was safe, but...

Reckless, wild, and beautiful, Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society -- and now she is determined to rescue her sister from an unwanted impending marriage to the notorious Alex, Lord Raiford, by fair means or foul. But while she succeeds outrageously, Alex is a master gamesman who is not to be undone.

Alex has lost one bride, yet he is enchanted by this remarkable lady who is willing to break any rule to flaunt her independence. When Lily offers him only scorn, he counters with kindness, and he parries her blistering barbs with gentle words and a soft, tender touch. The spirited miss will pay dearly for her interference -- with her body, her soul, and her stubborn, unyielding heart. But will Alex's own heart be the prize to be won in this sensuous game of love?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038077013X, Mass Market Paperback)

Reckless and wild, beautiful Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society and in breaking any rule to flaunt her independence. Now she′s determined to rescue her sister from an undesirable marriage to the ruthless Alex Raiford, the arrogant Earl of Wolverton. She succeeds in rescuing her sister, but in the meantime Alex decides that Lily must be his. He has resolved to make her pay dearly for her interference -with her body, her soul...and her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

Determined to save her sister from an undesired marriage to Lord Alex Raiford, reckless and beautiful Lily Lawson finds herself falling for the handsome, enigmatic nobleman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,911,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible