Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

Then Came You (edition 1993)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:LadyMauser
Title:Then Came You
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
I decided to edit my review after I finished reading this book, at the beginning Alex will seem like a cold jerk and Lily like a reckless woman. But after you reach chapter 7 and Alex bets on Lily everything changes!! I absolutely loved the book!! Alex is a great husband and lover, and when you understand Lily more you would certainly fall in love with her. I cried at the end when Lily found her missing 4-years-old daughter Nicole. And I'm dying to start with "Dreaming of You" because I loved Derek though he was an asshole sometimes but I think he is a great man. I just found out that Ross has his own book "Lady Sophia's Lover" so I'm looking forward to this book as well! In the end, Lisa Kleypas knows how to write memorable romances that touches the heart!
I loved when Alex says: "Yes. Yes. I want other people to look at you and know you're mine. I want you to take my name and my money. I want you to live with me. I want to be inside you...part of your thoughts...your body...all of you. I want you to trust me. I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me.” ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I loved when Alex says: "Yes. Yes. I want other people to look at you and know you're mine. I want you to take my name and my money. I want you to live with me. I want to be inside you...part of your thoughts...your body...all of you. I want you to trust me. I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me. 1D ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book so much more. I have so much respect for Lisa Kleypas, and she's been a huge favorite of mine in the past, but the consent in this book was just too dubious for me to handwave.

Lily had been through so much trauma with men, and Alex was too aware (even without knowing the details) for me to accept that his treatment of her was in any way okay.

Not to mention that he bought her body for a night and refused to listen to her protests. This wasn't even a handwaving romance novel way of she says no but she's already stroking his cock, either. She's literally resisting him in every single way a person can resist another human being and he tells her to just "let it happen" until she literally resigns herself to just letting him have his way.

It was disturbing. And frustrating. There were so many things about this book that I did enjoy, but not nearly enough to make up for how traumatic I found many of their love scenes. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book initially because the beginning didn't grab me. As it gained speed it turned out really great. It was very well written and MOST of the characters were realistic.

I loved Lawless Lilly! She was uber strong but also vulnerable at times so she seemed real. There were moments that I expected her to be more forthcoming and resourceful. The situation at her home when she and the butler were so nonchalant and conspiratorial during her little deception was priceless. Such an outrageous character. I read this twice and might check it out again sometime. Be sure to pick this one up. You won't regret it.
  M_Sims | Jul 6, 2014 |
"Damn, damn . . . there it goes, the frigging thing!"

She thought her heart was safe, but...

Reckless, wild, and beautiful, Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society -- and now she is determined to rescue her sister from an unwanted impending marriage to the notorious Alex, Lord Raiford, by fair means or foul. But while she succeeds outrageously, Alex is a master gamesman who is not to be undone.

Alex has lost one bride, yet he is enchanted by this remarkable lady who is willing to break any rule to flaunt her independence. When Lily offers him only scorn, he counters with kindness, and he parries her blistering barbs with gentle words and a soft, tender touch. The spirited miss will pay dearly for her interference -- with her body, her soul, and her stubborn, unyielding heart. But will Alex's own heart be the prize to be won in this sensuous game of love?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038077013X, Mass Market Paperback)

Reckless and wild, beautiful Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society and in breaking any rule to flaunt her independence. Now she′s determined to rescue her sister from an undesirable marriage to the ruthless Alex Raiford, the arrogant Earl of Wolverton. She succeeds in rescuing her sister, but in the meantime Alex decides that Lily must be his. He has resolved to make her pay dearly for her interference -with her body, her soul...and her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

Determined to save her sister from an undesired marriage to Lord Alex Raiford, reckless and beautiful Lily Lawson finds herself falling for the handsome, enigmatic nobleman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,134,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible