Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

Then Came You (edition 1993)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:LadyMauser
Title:Then Came You
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this book initially because the beginning didn't grab me. As it gained speed it turned out really great. It was very well written and MOST of the characters were realistic.

I loved Lawless Lilly! She was uber strong but also vulnerable at times so she seemed real. There were moments that I expected her to be more forthcoming and resourceful. The situation at her home when she and the butler were so nonchalant and conspiratorial during her little deception was priceless. Such an outrageous character. I read this twice and might check it out again sometime. Be sure to pick this one up. You won't regret it.
  M_Sims | Jul 6, 2014 |
I am not sure I have ever read this book before. I thought at one time that I had but now I am not as sure. I don’t remember Derek Craven’s cockney accent being quite so strong. This is the first book that he appears in and he is quite the character. I felt sorry that he and Lily couldn't get together. However, I know that he meets his match in the future and that helps with the disappointment. This story is a little different from most of the other historical romances. Lily’s daughter being kidnapped and Lily being blackmailed by the child’s father are things I have read in stories of this genre before. I am not sure what I would do in a similar situation. During this period of time a woman would have had few resources to bring to bear to solve the crime. Father’s had all the rights. The man that stole Nicole away is a despicable man and gets what he deserves in the end. Men likes this give males everywhere a bad name and need to be gotten rid of permanently. I was also glad that the police officer that was in on the blackmail was also caught. He is another villain that will probably get punished very harshly for giving his fellow officers a bad name. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to have to enforce the law in some place like London during this time period.

Wilhelmina “Lily” Lawson is a hellion of the first order. She rides like a man, hunts, gambles, cusses, and drinks. I was a little surprised that she didn't smoke. She gives Alex a run for his money. Lily is compassionate and reckless. Her big heart gets her into some nasty scrapes. She is loyal to those she loves not tolerating anything being said against those people. She is also a mother with all that entails. I think her unpredictable behavior is one of her best traits. She is never truly bitchy but she does have a smart mouth. Her friendship with Derek Craven is strained at times after she meets Alex. I was very glad that she found everything she needed to be happy and loving.

Alex, Earl of Raiford, is a man that has had responsibility thrown at him from a young age. He is controlled, cautious, and honorable. He has always played it safe and is totally unprepared for Lily and the havoc that she can cause. Lily makes it possible for her sister and the man she loves to elope, leaving Alex without a bride. She ties Alex to a bed to keep him from following the couple. There are a number of things that go on between Alex and Lily that are very funny. There are some very sad things as well. I liked Alex very much. He isn't afraid to use whatever is necessary to protect and take care of Lily. He is a wonderful person and earns the happiness he finds in this story.

As always that are all kinds of wonderful characters in this story; Henry, Alex’s younger brother; Lady Lyon, Alex’s aunt; Penelope, Lily’s sister; Zachary, Viscount Stamford and Lily’s butler Burton. Ms. Kleypas always writes the best characters. You always want to know what happens to all of them. We don’t always find those things out but sometimes we do. Lisa Kleypas is a must buy author for me and she has been for a long time. You can’t go wrong with one of her books. ( )
  LadyIsis | Apr 10, 2014 |

Typical Kleypas fare.

However, I think Nicole was a poorly used plot device. The book would have been better off without Lily's passing concern for Nicole(she was astoundingly stupid when it came to the Italian dude) - it never felt like she actually cared. The other parts were interesting - would have made a fantastic book all by themselves. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
I'm usually a big Kleypas fan but I think this one was a bit too "old school romance" for my tastes. I really liked the beginning of the book, before Alex and Lily got together. I liked them both individually and was looking forward to their relationship. That's when it fell apart for me. The sex scenes reminded me of why I didn't read romance back in the 80s and into the early 90s.

Lily loses a bet and is forced to spend the night with Alex. Now, this sometimes works for me if I've been in the woman's head and know that she actually wants the man anyway. But in Lily's case, she doesn't secretly want him. She afraid of sex due to an earlier incident. And yes, Alex isn't physically forceful with her, but he doesn't respect her wishes either. She tells him she doesn't want to do it more than once. And this sets the stage for every physical encounter that they have until the very last pages. She tells him no, and he does what he wants anyway. It smacks of all those double standards I hate. Despite all her outrageous behavior, Lily isn't one of those loose women who actually desires sex. Like I said, this can work for me if the writer convinces me that the woman has the desire but feels as though societal or self-worth pressures makes her feel that she ought to say no. But I never got that feeling with Lily, I felt like she really didn't want that physical relationship. There was enough of it and it went on long enough that it really ruined my enjoyment of the book. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
This book white hot! Super sexy and passionate. Alex is fierce and intense. They fight and scratch at each other. I loved the angst and fire between the two. They are a perfect match. I devoured this great romance in one sitting. Couldn't put it down! ( )
  TheLustyLiterate | Nov 1, 2013 |
"Damn, damn . . . there it goes, the frigging thing!"

She thought her heart was safe, but...

Reckless, wild, and beautiful, Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society -- and now she is determined to rescue her sister from an unwanted impending marriage to the notorious Alex, Lord Raiford, by fair means or foul. But while she succeeds outrageously, Alex is a master gamesman who is not to be undone.

Alex has lost one bride, yet he is enchanted by this remarkable lady who is willing to break any rule to flaunt her independence. When Lily offers him only scorn, he counters with kindness, and he parries her blistering barbs with gentle words and a soft, tender touch. The spirited miss will pay dearly for her interference -- with her body, her soul, and her stubborn, unyielding heart. But will Alex's own heart be the prize to be won in this sensuous game of love?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038077013X, Mass Market Paperback)

Reckless and wild, beautiful Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society and in breaking any rule to flaunt her independence. Now she′s determined to rescue her sister from an undesirable marriage to the ruthless Alex Raiford, the arrogant Earl of Wolverton. She succeeds in rescuing her sister, but in the meantime Alex decides that Lily must be his. He has resolved to make her pay dearly for her interference -with her body, her soul...and her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

Determined to save her sister from an undesired marriage to Lord Alex Raiford, reckless and beautiful Lily Lawson finds herself falling for the handsome, enigmatic nobleman.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible