Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

Then Came You (edition 1993)

by Lisa Kleypas

Member:LadyMauser
Title:Then Came You
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (1993), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Then Came You by Lisa Kleypas

English (23)  German (1)  English (24)
Then Came You
4 Stars

Known around London for her notorious escapades, Lily Lawson is not above playing dirty when it comes to her sister’s happiness, and she is determined to stop Penny’s marriage to the cold and reserved Alex Raiford. Alex’s fury knows no bounds when Lily begins to interfere with his plans, but he cannot help the desire he feels whenever she is near and he becomes intent on possessing her, body, heart and soul.

An enjoyable love/hate romance with some interesting if harsh insights into Georgian society. Nevertheless, there are a couple of tropes that do not appeal to me namely the fact that the heroine has a child with another man and she keeps this secret from her love interest.

The chemistry between Lily and Alex sizzles on the pages and their banter and shenanigans are laugh-out-loud funny at times. That said, under the surface humor there are several harsh and troubling themes, including women’s rights (or the lack thereof), child abuse and human trafficking. All of which demonstrate that the Georgian period was not all dukes and balls and soirées.

Lily is a charming heroine although her reckless behavior is not always consistent with her characterization as a woman desperately searching for her missing child. While she is determined to find her daughter, she also takes unnecessary chances and risks her life repeatedly. This does not make sense as what would have happened to Nicole if Lily had died?

Alex is my favorite type of hero. A man who conceals his huge heart and tremendous capacity for love beneath a dark, cold and brooding facade. It is clear from the start that he is in dire need of something or someone to shake him from his doldrums, and Lily is just was the doctor ordered.

This is also the book in which Derek Craven, widely considered to be Kleypas’s most incredible hero, is introduced. While much as been said in many a review and an article about him, I am not as certain of his appeal as he comes across as self-absorbed and manipulative. Perhaps my appreciation for him will increase once I read his book, which is next.

In sum, a delightfully entertaining read as is to be expected from Lisa Kleypas. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

There is a lot of drama in this book, but I didn't mind that much.
Then Came You gives you two very stubborn and strong-willed people clashing for the most of the story.

It all starts when Lily decides that a man her younger sister is going to marry is not going to be good for her. I didn't get that. Only because he was unpleasant the first time they talked. You can't blame him for that really, because the first time he saw her was at a party when she jumped into the Thames to get her bonnet. A reader knows she is right about her sister's happiness, but she doesn't have that luxury.

They both have their past demons to exorcise and in due course of the story they do just that. I liked Alex a lot, especially his reaction to Lily's secret.
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
I decided to edit my review after I finished reading this book, at the beginning Alex will seem like a cold jerk and Lily like a reckless woman. But after you reach chapter 7 and Alex bets on Lily everything changes!! I absolutely loved the book!! Alex is a great husband and lover, and when you understand Lily more you would certainly fall in love with her. I cried at the end when Lily found her missing 4-years-old daughter Nicole. And I'm dying to start with "Dreaming of You" because I loved Derek though he was an asshole sometimes but I think he is a great man. I just found out that Ross has his own book "Lady Sophia's Lover" so I'm looking forward to this book as well! In the end, Lisa Kleypas knows how to write memorable romances that touches the heart!
I loved when Alex says: "Yes. Yes. I want other people to look at you and know you're mine. I want you to take my name and my money. I want you to live with me. I want to be inside you...part of your thoughts...your body...all of you. I want you to trust me. I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me.” ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I loved when Alex says: "Yes. Yes. I want other people to look at you and know you're mine. I want you to take my name and my money. I want you to live with me. I want to be inside you...part of your thoughts...your body...all of you. I want you to trust me. I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me. 1D ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I wanted to like this book so much more. I have so much respect for Lisa Kleypas, and she's been a huge favorite of mine in the past, but the consent in this book was just too dubious for me to handwave.

Lily had been through so much trauma with men, and Alex was too aware (even without knowing the details) for me to accept that his treatment of her was in any way okay.

Not to mention that he bought her body for a night and refused to listen to her protests. This wasn't even a handwaving romance novel way of she says no but she's already stroking his cock, either. She's literally resisting him in every single way a person can resist another human being and he tells her to just "let it happen" until she literally resigns herself to just letting him have his way.

It was disturbing. And frustrating. There were so many things about this book that I did enjoy, but not nearly enough to make up for how traumatic I found many of their love scenes. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
"Damn, damn . . . there it goes, the frigging thing!"

She thought her heart was safe, but...

Reckless, wild, and beautiful, Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society -- and now she is determined to rescue her sister from an unwanted impending marriage to the notorious Alex, Lord Raiford, by fair means or foul. But while she succeeds outrageously, Alex is a master gamesman who is not to be undone.

Alex has lost one bride, yet he is enchanted by this remarkable lady who is willing to break any rule to flaunt her independence. When Lily offers him only scorn, he counters with kindness, and he parries her blistering barbs with gentle words and a soft, tender touch. The spirited miss will pay dearly for her interference -- with her body, her soul, and her stubborn, unyielding heart. But will Alex's own heart be the prize to be won in this sensuous game of love?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038077013X, Mass Market Paperback)

Reckless and wild, beautiful Lily Lawson delights in shocking proper London society and in breaking any rule to flaunt her independence. Now she′s determined to rescue her sister from an undesirable marriage to the ruthless Alex Raiford, the arrogant Earl of Wolverton. She succeeds in rescuing her sister, but in the meantime Alex decides that Lily must be his. He has resolved to make her pay dearly for her interference -with her body, her soul...and her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

Determined to save her sister from an undesired marriage to Lord Alex Raiford, reckless and beautiful Lily Lawson finds herself falling for the handsome, enigmatic nobleman.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,682,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible