The Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Wallflowers (3)

1,874725,506 (4.13)1 / 123
Recently added byprivate library, Lina_mp, gretricht, rena75, QueenMargot

English (71)  Czech (1)  All languages (72)
Devil In Winter brings together the most unlikely couple you could ever imagine…..a heartless rake who has recently damaged his relationship with his closest friend and an innocent shy wallflower who can barely speak two words to a man without stuttering.

Over the holidays I decided to reread some of my favorites and this included the Devil In Winter, out of all the romances that I have read over the years….this book is at the very top of my list and when I realized that I had yet to do a review for this book I knew that I needed to change that. Many of my favorites I haven’t reviewed so I have been meaning to change that. So I hope that I can give this book the love and justice it deserves. Now Lisa Kleypas is one of the most talented romance authors you could have the pleasure of picking up. Her writing is so lyrical and mind pulling, and her sex scenes are the best out there in my opinion. She writes the love scenes in a way that is hot without being super explicit. Your heart and emotions are just as involved as the characters actually involved.

The Key Players that occur in Devil In Winter:

Sebastian, Viscount St. Vincent, a rake and rogue and in desperate need of funds and need to marry for money and his reputation with women is legendary.
Evangeline Jenner, is shy and innocent wallflower, she struggles with a stutter and lives with abusive relatives

Devil In Winter takes off right after book two ends. So let me recap the ending of It Happened One Autumn so you can get some background information. Our hero, Sebastian, desperate to marry for money and with the help of Westcliff’s mother, kidnaps Lillian Bowman to take her up to Gretna Green, and ends up home nursing his wounds from Westcliff getting vengeance. When Evie comes to him, alone and offers him her fortune if he marries her. Sebastian knows that he is without many options, and even though he barely looked at Evie before, now he takes a good second look and agrees. Thus begins a marriage that becomes apparent that there is strong passion between them. Sebastian is used to being with women who are very worldly and knows the pleasures of the bedroom, but Evie is innocent but eager and its a new experience for Sebastian and he is almost spellbound by his growing feelings for Evie. As Sebastian surprises Evie in the small ways, she begins to see a new side to Sebastian that he never lets anyone see. And Sebastian is unnerved by his feelings for Evie, feelings he has never felt before and is almost like a “lost child” in coming to terms with what he is discovering in his marriage to Evie.
You can s-send me away, but you can’t stop me from running back to you. I want to spend every day with you. I want to watch you shave in the morning. I want to drink champagne and dance with you. I want to mend the holes in your stockings. I want to share a bed with you every night and to have your children.

This is the true strength of Lisa Kleypas and this is one of the best books that she has ever written here. This is where she takes a character you don’t really like, Sebastian, and pairs him with the most unlikely heroine out of the wallflowers. When I first read these books, Evie would not have been my pick for Sebastian at first, but once you see them together they are just one. Like honestly, there is something so special and unique about their pairing that just stays with you. Even after all these years of reading this book, it still leaves me with all the feels. What is most remarkable about this story is the growth and change of the characters. I have always felt a kinship with Evie. I was so shy growing up and most due to some emotional problems so I could connect with Evie more than the other wallflowers because I understand how difficult it is to overcome shyness. So to see Evie go from being shy and stuttering to becoming more confident in her own femininity and strength and fight for what she wants is pretty remarkable. Also to see how comfortable she becomes with Sebastian, like a second skin almost. Then we have Sebastian that goes from being selfish, doesn’t care to work and loves his countless women to being a man that starts to fun Evie’s fathers club to get it back to what it needs to be, breaking up fights and staying up late hours and even agreeing to Evie’s demand to go celibate for three months. We see him truly change to a man that learns to care for others before himself and truly let himself love and its so beautiful to see these changes and before you know it a hero you hate at first develops into one of the most redeemable heroes you will ever read and fall in love with. He is so careful with Evie, protective and seeing to her needs, wants and desires so gently and its such an admirable quality in a hero that you see even in the beginning.
No one could fail to observe that whenever Evie entered the room St. Vincent practically vibrated like a tuning fork.

If you haven’t read the Wallflower series yet or even Devil In Winter then go to the store right now and grab up this book because I one hundred percent guarantee you will fall in love with Sebastian and Evie as I have and still love them to this day!!
I want to fill every part of you… breathe the air from your lungs… leave my handprints on your soul. I want to give you more pleasure than you can bear. I want to make love to you, Evie, as I have never done with anyone before

Devil In Winter is a romance that will stay with you for years after reading it, a gentle and sexy romance that gives the reader every emotion and vibrates with sensuality and vivid emotion!!! ONE OF THE BEST ROMANCES EVER WRITTEN!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
I didn't like this one as much as I liked scandal in spring for he seems liked of like a asshole ( )
  cupcakeclark | Jan 4, 2019 |
I am honestly quite surprised to say that I didn't LOVE this. I really enjoyed it. I liked Evie and felt for her and the predicament she was in, but I think I would have enjoyed Sebastian's redemption story a lot more if I had read It Happened One Autumn. Literally, people. The one time I get brave enough to read from a romance series out of order because everybody-else-does-without-a-problem-and-they-really-are-written-to-be-read-in-any-order-and-what-harm-can-possibly-come-from-it and I am regretting it -_- Perhaps my biggest criticism of the story is that there really was no black moment. I suppose it was meant to be Sebastian's getting shot, but nobody really believed he was going to die. Something I have come to really enjoy in my romance novels is a well-written black moment. I want to think to myself, "How can they possibly overcome this?!" and then cry happy tears when they do. I also kept thinking to myself, "Yeah Sebastian's great but he's no Villiers" and ELOISAJAMESWHATHAVEYOUDONETOME. That being said I did enjoy (nearly) every moment of this and it was light and fun which is what I was looking for. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I simply couldn't put any of the Wallflower series down. Wonderfully captivating. ( )
  LeahGreenClark | Oct 28, 2018 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Christina, Connie, Liz, Mary and Terri,
for friendship that makes my heart sing.
Love always,
L.K.
As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.
One of Sebastian's brows arched. "Evie," he said dryly, "you eloped against your family's wishes, you married a notorious rake, and you're living in a gaming club. How much more damned gossip do you think you could cause?"
pg. 148

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts -- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006056251X, Mass Market Paperback)

A devil's bargain

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Desperate to escape the clutches of her greedy relatives, heiress Evangeline Jenner makes a deal with Viscount St. Vincent to exchange her fortune for a marriage of convenience, only to discover the true nature of passion in his arms.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,868,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible