The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book…

The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3) (edition 2006)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,512504,895 (4.1)1 / 109
Member:wolfangel87
Title:The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2006), Edition: First Avon Books Paperback Printing Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added byc_neva, labjab, jkgrage, ariel.kirst, RavenX

Easily my favorite book in the series! I love seeing Evie blossom and Sebastian grow a heart! I will probably read it a few times as I adored it!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Never have I experienced such a u-turn in my opinion of a character.

I was absolutely livid and appalled when I learned Sebastian would be marrying Evie in the last book. Such a vile man doesn't deserve happiness. Her shy and vulnerable nature would surely be crushed under the manipulative man-slut, St Vincent. And after getting over my disappointment in the author and looking at the ratings for this book, my curiosity got the better of me. I went into reading this expecting the worst but in reality I came out the other side with major respect for the author.

Never in a million years did I expect to like Sebastian after what he did. Kudos to Kleypas for changing my mind. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
First, the things St. Vincent goes through in this book are quite enough to redeem anyone. Second, this book and the previous one have precisely one thing St. Vincent did wrong unless you count the talk of his debauchery. We never see him doing that, we never see him doing anything bad except the thing in the end of the previous book. It's only talk: either he is saying bad things about himself or people who know him do. But we never get to see that.
As for Evie, I love her. If you read the first two books, you could only imagine the courage she needed to do something as outrageous as proposing to St. Vincent and not just because of the things she heard about him. The only time I actually felt sorry for her was after reading what her relatives did to her. It was more my rage than pity. They are both lovable characters. If you don't mind the clichéd reformed rakes (and you cannot get more clichéd than St. Vincent), then you'll like this story.

Evie realizes that he must be desperate for an heiress so she goes to him and proposes. From that moment every little thing he does (even the ones he does reluctantly in the beginning) is considerate and wonderful. If you remove what occasionally comes out of his mouth, he may even be perfect.

There isn't any real conflict between these two, they never argue for real. My 'favourite' trope of a third person isn't used in the plot even St. Vincent's past offers a convenient way to further the story. The conflict of the story comes from the outside and not from the direction I thought. There is a quickly resolved situation with horrible Evie's relatives, but that ended too fast. I never saw her aunt Florence punished, but I have a great imagination so I imagined her face after she heard about Evie's elopement. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
For yet another rake/wallflower combination, this one wasn't too bad. A few too many damsel in distress and/or life-threatening situations for one book, but overall a pretty good read. ( )
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
To Christina, Connie, Liz, Mary and Terri,
for friendship that makes my heart sing.
Love always,
L.K.
As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.
One of Sebastian's brows arched. "Evie," he said dryly, "you eloped against your family's wishes, you married a notorious rake, and you're living in a gaming club. How much more damned gossip do you think you could cause?"
pg. 148

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts -- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006056251X, Mass Market Paperback)

A devil's bargain

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:29 -0400)

Desperate to escape the clutches of her greedy relatives, heiress Evangeline Jenner makes a deal with Viscount St. Vincent to exchange her fortune for a marriage of convenience, only to discover the true nature of passion in his arms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,389,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible