The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book…

The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3) (edition 2006)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,490494,982 (4.1)1 / 108
Member:wolfangel87
Title:The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2006), Edition: First Avon Books Paperback Printing Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added byprivate library, arena90, Irena., Cailiosa, rena70

First, the things St. Vincent goes through in this book are quite enough to redeem anyone. Second, this book and the previous one have precisely one thing St. Vincent did wrong unless you count the talk of his debauchery. We never see him doing that, we never see him doing anything bad except the thing in the end of the previous book. It's only talk: either he is saying bad things about himself or people who know him do. But we never get to see that.
As for Evie, I love her. If you read the first two books, you could only imagine the courage she needed to do something as outrageous as proposing to St. Vincent and not just because of the things she heard about him. The only time I actually felt sorry for her was after reading what her relatives did to her. It was more my rage than pity. They are both lovable characters. If you don't mind the clichéd reformed rakes (and you cannot get more clichéd than St. Vincent), then you'll like this story.

Evie realizes that he must be desperate for an heiress so she goes to him and proposes. From that moment every little thing he does (even the ones he does reluctantly in the beginning) is considerate and wonderful. If you remove what occasionally comes out of his mouth, he may even be perfect.

There isn't any real conflict between these two, they never argue for real. My 'favourite' trope of a third person isn't used in the plot even St. Vincent's past offers a convenient way to further the story. The conflict of the story comes from the outside and not from the direction I thought. There is a quickly resolved situation with horrible Evie's relatives, but that ended too fast. I never saw her aunt Florence punished, but I have a great imagination so I imagined her face after she heard about Evie's elopement. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
For yet another rake/wallflower combination, this one wasn't too bad. A few too many damsel in distress and/or life-threatening situations for one book, but overall a pretty good read. ( )
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
  Cailiosa | Aug 18, 2014 |
I loved it! Devil in Winter was absolutely satisfying. However I wouldn't say it's my favorite of the Wallflower series as of yet. It Happened One Autumn still holds that honor. (Lilian and Lord Westcliff are too funny. I love their chemistry.)

I was mostly glad that Sebastian redeemed himself in this book since last time he tried to kidnap Lilian.

It was pretty awesome to see him soften up and grow to care for Evie.

A definite thumbs up from me! I now see why it gets high remarks. ( )
  missreaderbooks | Jul 3, 2014 |
Devil in Winter
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Evangeline Jenner is desperate to escape her abusive relatives and realizes that her only recourse is to marry. Due to his recent financial difficulties, notorious rake, Sebastian St. Vincent, is the perfect candidate. She is well aware of his past and is convinced they will never become a love match - or will they?

Review
Good writing, witty dialogue, likeable characters and an entertaining plot.

Sebastian is a unscrupulous rake and it was fascinating to see him redeem himself (no easy task given his actions in the previous book) and turn into a besotted husband. His self-depracating humor and honesty regarding his flaws make him an excellent addition to my historical hottie harem. Nevertheless, more background on his relationship with his father (which is hinted at in book #2) is necessary as the little information on his mother and sisters fail to fully explain his promiscuous behavior.

Evie has a warm heart and quiet strenth and definitely comes into her own. However, her rapid transition from shy wallflower to self-confident wife is difficult to accept. Regardless, Sebastian and Evie's relationship is sweet and touching.

The suspense plots are alright but neither is fully developed or sufficiently gripping. Evie's darstardly relatives are dispatched too neatly and the villain at the club is too predictable and his motive annoyingly obvious.

The brief cameo appearances by the other wallflowers were disappointing in their brevity but Cam Rohan's character more than made up for it. His tryst with Daisy, however, is quite misleading as her hero is someone completely different.

All in all, very entertaining read and I look forward to Daisy's story.
  Lauren2013 | Feb 22, 2014 |
To Christina, Connie, Liz, Mary and Terri,
for friendship that makes my heart sing.
Love always,
L.K.
As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.
One of Sebastian's brows arched. "Evie," he said dryly, "you eloped against your family's wishes, you married a notorious rake, and you're living in a gaming club. How much more damned gossip do you think you could cause?"
pg. 148
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts -- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006056251X, Mass Market Paperback)

A devil's bargain

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:29 -0400)

Desperate to escape the clutches of her greedy relatives, heiress Evangeline Jenner makes a deal with Viscount St. Vincent to exchange her fortune for a marriage of convenience, only to discover the true nature of passion in his arms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible