The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book…

The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3) (edition 2006)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,526544,821 (4.1)1 / 111
Member:wolfangel87
Title:The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2006), Edition: First Avon Books Paperback Printing Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

Recently added byprivate library, arena300, treelygrace, FMelvin, Anja_TheBookworm, amn3, kadaria, LaMala

Muy graciosa la escena del casamiento. ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This was really enjoyable, and I loved it as my introduction to Lisa Kleypas. Although I think Devil in Winter is imperfect, there were a lot of things I really enjoyed about it and made it a memorable story.

Things I Liked
-Evie and Sebastian were a good match for each other. It was clear that they cared for each other early on, though they did not realize it. This made it all the more fun and rewarding because you could see that they had undeniable chemistry that would ultimately lead them to each other. The slow but steady (not to mention steamy...) journey was great to be a part of.
-Sebastian was awesome! I fell in love with him immediately. He had a wry sense of humor that cracked me up and a gallant personality. If you have to have a marriage of convenience, he would be a great choice! The fact that [SPOILER ALERT] it took him so long to say "I love you" made it that much better when he caved in and said it.
-Historical detail. Now I can't really comment about whether or not each detail was right, but it sure felt that way. I loved the little touches of Victorian culture and society. Also, I found it really fun to learn about the gentlemen's club and life inside them. I was surprised by how fascinated I was.
-The theme of the quiet/odd girl getting the guy. I'll talk about my reservations with Evie in just a moment, but I love me a good Wallflower story. This was my first in the series, and I immediately ordered the other ones.
-The love scenes. W-O-W! I have not read many romance novels and am slowly getting introduced to the genre, but Lisa Kleypas certainly showed me what they are capable of. Glad I have my own copy of this book (though I got it used courtesy of Better World Books)!

Things I Did Not Like
-Evie. Well it's a bit strong to say I did not like her. The more accurate thing to say is I didn't love her. She seemed a little too one dimensional to me, and her motivations felt forced. In fact, I felt that some aspects of the novel were contrived. Maybe some people make major decisions that quickly, but I don't, so a plot where someone agrees to marry someone else pretty much immediately does not feel accurate to me.

Ultimately, this was a book that I fell in love with for the characters and the budding love between Evie and Sebastian.

I have already started "Dreaming of You" by Lisa Kleypas (not part of the Wallflowers series) and ordered a bunch of historical romances. Here's to finding a new author you love! ( )
  Ginnywoolf | Mar 22, 2015 |
4 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Devil in Winter is the third book in Kleypas’s wallflower series and features the shy stuttering wallflower Evangeline Jenner. The story starts off with Evie making a marriage proposal to the Sebastian, in order to escape her family’s clutches and to see her dieing father. Luckily, Sebastian has been looking for a rich lady to marry, because his father has drained the bank account which will leave him with nothing but a shiny title when the father dies. So, he’s thrilled when a pretty, albeit stuttering, heiress plops right into his lap and wants to elope to Scotland. This launches the two of them into a long carriage ride where Sebastian does a bunch of little things to make Evie more comfortable and to make us more comfortable with the idea of Sebastian being the hero of this book.

Evie is a great character, she has a stuttering problem –it doesn’t turn annoying- and she’s not a doormat. Which you have to give her major kudos for seeing as, from the sounds of it, her family has all but been locking her up in the attic since her mothers death.

After reading about how horrible her family is I was really disappointed that they didn’t play a bigger part in the story. Two of her uncles and her butterball of a cousin made an appearance, but it only lasted about a page or two. Great scene, but I was highly disappointed with the fact that it was all we got to see of them. It would’ve been more interesting had the main villain(s) been her family, that we’ve been hearing about since book one in the series.

Anyway, after getting over my quibble about the villain and few other minor things, I really enjoyed this book. It was fun to watch Evie become more comfortable around people and to see Sebastian slowly evolve from the person we met in the previous books. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Yeah, I'm done. Evie's just so unfeministic. It's like she has a thing against feminists, or something. She stands up to her uncles and her families, but when Sebastian comes along, she's like "Yes, I will do whatever you want me to do, even when you're a jerk, because's you're so sexy." My reaction: "...what? Did you hear that? I think [b:Quintana of Charyn|10165761|Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)|Melina Marchetta|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331187719s/10165761.jpg|15064476] is calling me! I'm coming, Quintana!"

EDIT (2/5/2014):
Finished it for real. Not better at the end. It would have been a 2-star-read except for the romanticization of rape and the male chauvinism, even in females. I mean, really. Evie said "no" to St. Vincent at least three times, and St. Vincent even said "no" to Evie. "No" means NO, guys! Unlike [b:The Duke and I|110391|The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)|Julia Quinn|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1379594717s/110391.jpg|846763], the chauvinism is not tongue-in-cheek, and [a:Lisa Kleypas|27847|Lisa Kleypas|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1288899037p2/27847.jpg] means every word. And how is Cam more interesting than St. Vincent? Just askin'. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
To Christina, Connie, Liz, Mary and Terri,
for friendship that makes my heart sing.
Love always,
L.K.
As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.
One of Sebastian's brows arched. "Evie," he said dryly, "you eloped against your family's wishes, you married a notorious rake, and you're living in a gaming club. How much more damned gossip do you think you could cause?"
pg. 148

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts -- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006056251X, Mass Market Paperback)

A devil's bargain

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Desperate to escape the clutches of her greedy relatives, heiress Evangeline Jenner makes a deal with Viscount St. Vincent to exchange her fortune for a marriage of convenience, only to discover the true nature of passion in his arms.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,500,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible