The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book…

The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3) (edition 2006)

by Lisa Kleypas

1,624624,462 (4.12)1 / 112
Member:wolfangel87
Title:The Devil in Winter (The Wallflowers, Book 3)
Authors:Lisa Kleypas
Info:Avon (2006), Edition: First Avon Books Paperback Printing Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas

English (61)  Czech (1)  All languages (62)
First, the things St. Vincent goes through in this book are quite enough to redeem anyone. Second, this book and the previous one have precisely one thing St. Vincent did wrong unless you count the talk of his debauchery. We never see him doing that, we never see him doing anything bad except the thing in the end of the previous book. It's only talk: either he is saying bad things about himself or people who know him do. But we never get to see that.
As for Evie, I love her. If you read the first two books, you could only imagine the courage she needed to do something as outrageous as proposing to St. Vincent and not just because of the things she heard about him. The only time I actually felt sorry for her was after reading what her relatives did to her. It was more my rage than pity. They are both lovable characters. If you don't mind the clichéd reformed rakes (and you cannot get more clichéd than St. Vincent), then you'll like this story.

Evie realizes that he must be desperate for an heiress so she goes to him and proposes. From that moment every little thing he does (even the ones he does reluctantly in the beginning) is considerate and wonderful. If you remove what occasionally comes out of his mouth, he may even be perfect.

There isn't any real conflict between these two, they never argue for real. My 'favourite' trope of a third person isn't used in the plot even St. Vincent's past offers a convenient way to further the story. The conflict of the story comes from the outside and not from the direction I thought. There is a quickly resolved situation with horrible Evie's relatives, but that ended too fast. I never saw her aunt Florence punished, but I have a great imagination so I imagined her face after she heard about Evie's elopement. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
RATED ALL THE DAMN STARS IN THE SKY!

YOU HAVE ANY? I'M TAKING THOSE FOR THIS BOOK!

Sebastian...love you for life!
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
This review is for all 5 books in the series, because while I think they're harmless one by one, taken as a whole, they support rape culture.

Let me say that there is no outright rape in these books, but they are all steeped in the trope of a beautiful virgin (in this case one in each book) who only needs a forceful man to awaken her sexual urges.

While I love the idea of the four wallflowers working together to secure husbands, and the descriptions of the gorgeous clothing, the characters themselves are fairly stereotypical--the shy girl, the brash American girl, the dreamer and the down-on-her-luck girl from the gentry. The men are equally two-dimensional--the rake, the industrialist, the stuffy lord and the irritating American.

All of the female characters, the four wallflowers and a secretary in the last book, are preyed on by the men, who reduce them to quivering masses of sexual desire by forcing kisses and gropes (and in one case, oral sex) on them. It's always because the women are so, so desirable that the men cannot withstand their urges.

It's been almost 200 years since The Lustful Turk was written, but apparently we're still believing this trope, glorifying it and in all too many cases, acting on it.

We need to stop. ( )
  Jammies | Jun 12, 2016 |
Devil in Winter
4.5 Stars

Synopsis
Evangeline Jenner is desperate to escape her abusive relatives and realizes that her only recourse is to marry. Due to his recent financial difficulties, notorious rake, Sebastian St. Vincent, is the perfect candidate. She is well aware of his past and is convinced they will never become a love match - or will they?

Review
Good writing, witty dialogue, likeable characters and an entertaining plot.

Sebastian is a unscrupulous rake and it was fascinating to see him redeem himself (no easy task given his actions in the previous book) and turn into a besotted husband. His self-depracating humor and honesty regarding his flaws make him an excellent addition to my historical hottie harem. Nevertheless, more background on his relationship with his father (which is hinted at in book #2) is necessary as the little information on his mother and sisters fail to fully explain his promiscuous behavior.

Evie has a warm heart and quiet strenth and definitely comes into her own. However, her rapid transition from shy wallflower to self-confident wife is difficult to accept. Regardless, Sebastian and Evie's relationship is sweet and touching.

The suspense plots are alright but neither is fully developed or sufficiently gripping. Evie's darstardly relatives are dispatched too neatly and the villain at the club is too predictable and his motive annoyingly obvious.

The brief cameo appearances by the other wallflowers were disappointing in their brevity but Cam Rohan's character more than made up for it. His tryst with Daisy, however, is quite misleading as her hero is someone completely different.

All in all, very entertaining read and I look forward to Daisy's story. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I was hooked on HR for a very long time - this is my top book
  Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
To Christina, Connie, Liz, Mary and Terri,
for friendship that makes my heart sing.
Love always,
L.K.
As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.
One of Sebastian's brows arched. "Evie," he said dryly, "you eloped against your family's wishes, you married a notorious rake, and you're living in a gaming club. How much more damned gossip do you think you could cause?"
pg. 148

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts -- which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006056251X, Mass Market Paperback)

A devil's bargain

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Desperate to escape the clutches of her greedy relatives, heiress Evangeline Jenner makes a deal with Viscount St. Vincent to exchange her fortune for a marriage of convenience, only to discover the true nature of passion in his arms.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,399,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible