Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia…

Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sylvia Day

Member:ajwseven
Title:Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel
Authors:Sylvia Day
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

Bared to You by Sylvia Day (2012)

The Harem by Thomas Sweeney (Emma-Reads)
    Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Both books share the same erotic intensity and life-affirming sensuality.

English (90)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (95)
This is 50 shades better than the more popular triolgy of the same genre right now. This is what I was hoping for with more cohesive writing, more exciting description and slightly more realism. ( )
  mandersj73 | Apr 27, 2015 |
More romantic than dark, this novel explores a very new and very frightening relationship and the way it develops into deep love and genuine trust. I loved it for expoloring all those fears a person has in the beginning - of being honest & sharing dark secrets, of losing someone you fell for hard and fast... Not to mention the sex scenes, which never seem dirty, but always passionate, real, full of both love and desire. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Great book until the last 50-60 pages...this is where the book came very rushed and a little confusing. ( )
  Kimmykay0302 | Apr 13, 2015 |

Kimmykay0302 | Apr 13, 2015 |
Seeing as I was going to a convention where Sylvia Day was present, I thought I should try reading one of her novels. Unfortunately I was pretty short on time, so I decided to listen to Bared to You (the first book in the Crossfire series) in the car instead. I swear, this book seemed to go on forever. This is just not my kind of read, but others (particularly those who enjoyed Fifty Shades of Grey or other books with super alpha male heroes) will like it. It’s not that this book is poorly written, it’s just that the sex/argument/sex/argument thing got a bit boring for me over time.

The book starts off as Eva gets a job in New York City and is ready to start an adult life, leaving the demons of her past behind. Her mother is way overprotective (she tracks Eva’s mobile phone!), beyond what is reasonable. Eva isn’t short of money either, and lives in a nice apartment with her friend Cary. (No romance there, just friendly sparring – Cary is bisexual, so there’s opportunity for some interesting sex scenes there). She meets gazillionaire Gideon Cross in the skyscraper she works in (and he owns) and he’s keen to know her more, but Eva resists. You know of course that she’ll give in and that starts an incredibly intense and emotional relationship. (I’m surprised my iPod didn’t melt in the process of playing this story). Eva has trouble with trust and being in the spotlight, but she reveals her past to Gideon. He responds by being even more protective, but I don’t think he tells Eva directly about his past (yeah, I Wikipedia’d it to find out what happens in the series). I might have missed this. Anyway, there’s a lot of sex, breaking up and making up.

I’m definitely over this kind of story – I wanted to know more about the minor characters, like Eva’s mum. Why exactly is she overprotective of Eva? Is it just guilt over what happened to her in her previous marriage? What’s the deal with Cary? I bet he’s got an interesting story to tell too beyond his sex life.

The narration of this story is fantastic though – Jill Redfield acts it out brilliantly (yes, complete with orgasm moments). She did a really good growly voice as Gideon too. Her narration is one of the best I’ve heard. Unfortunately the story was just overlong and repetitive for me. I want to know more of the backstories – why is Gideon so rich so young? Is it plain hard work and some luck, or something more? The animosity with his family, yet the ability to ravish Eva in the family home? I do have loads of questions, but I’m not that interested in wading through a lot of sex and arguments to get there. I can understand why this series is popular, but it’s not for me. The characters are immature and don’t seem to grow or learn from their mistakes.

I think this is one of the reasons I’ve gone off romance – I can get my conflict elsewhere with a more varied storyline.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Apr 4, 2015 |
This one is for Dr. David Allen Goodwin. My love and gratitude are boundless. Thank you, Dave. You saved my life.
We should head to a bar and celebrate.

Back Cover:

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness-beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

Eva Trammel, plagued by her own insecurities, is drawn into an intense, obssessive relationship with the wealthy and arrogant Gideon Cross.

Sylvia Day is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,298,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible