Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia…

Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sylvia Day

Member:ajwseven
Title:Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel
Authors:Sylvia Day
Info:Berkley Trade (2012), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:***

Bared to You by Sylvia Day (2012)

Twenty Tones of Red by Pauline Montford (PaulineMontford)
    PaulineMontford: Both books share the same erotic intensity and life-affirming sensuality.

English (83)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (88)
Bared to You (Crossfire) was a book I found at a local library sale. I heard it was very similar to the Fifty shades of Grey series. I was very disappointed in this first novel as the plot and story line directly followed the first book in the Fifty shades of grey series, to an irritating "T". Eva was a single women starting a new job when she fell (literally) at Gideon Crossfire. Someone who is so deliciously handsome she can barely contain herself around him. She fumbles and makes a huge fool of herself whenever he is around given his stature and Empire. This is a VERY adult read as it does have sex languages, scenes and erotic situations throughout the entire novel. I have since read the second book and can say it does spin off and the plot is intriguing. This first book almost swayed me away from reading the next book in the series because it was so similar to Fifty shades of grey but so glad I stuck with it and continued reading on in the series. I would recommend this if you enjoy romance and erotica. ( )
  cewtypye | Jul 3, 2014 |
The entirety of "Bared to You" takes place in about the span of a week and a half to two weeks. Yes, yes, there are some racy sexual encounters and, sure, Day's descriptions get the blood pumping, but the story is more than that.

Eva Trammell is new to NYC. She and her best friend, Cary Taylor, have moved cross country for work - Eva for advertising, Cary for modeling. The best friends share a lux Manhattan apartment, as well as a history of abuse. On a practice run to her new workplace, Eva literally bumps into Gideon Cross, a stunningly attractive, super rich, notorious New York playboy. Their connection (whether you believe it or not) is instantaneous and undeniable. Almost before you (or they) know it, the couple is entangled in a highly sexual, very volatile relationship.

I found myself smirking from time to time as I read, just because of how absurd the relationship seemed at times. So much, so fast and so intense in a week? Please. But there is a level of believability to it. What was really interesting, and what probably says more about me as a reader than it does about Day as a writer or the characters she's created, was how much I identified with the level of obsession/possessiveness. I've known myself to be a pretty darn possessive and worrisome creature myself, so I could relate to both Eva and Gideon's need to stake their claims on one another - privately and publically.

I liked the book. I liked the story and the characters. It reminded me of "Fifty Shades," but in a more complete, sophisticated way. I'm looking forward to see where Day takes the story in the second book in the Crossfire series.
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
Just having read Bared to You by Sylvia Day, I did appreciate Eva, the main character in the story, who, although is extremely insecure and possessive of her man, seems to be a stronger and more interesting character than innocent, naïve Anastasia of Fifty Shades of Grey. After reading both books, one cannot help but compare Christian Grey of Fifty Shades to Gideon Cross of Bared to You. Both male characters are extremely controlling, extraordinarily handsome, superb lovers, and dysfunctional.
As I read Bared to You, I was amused that Eva and Gideon had such tremendous sexual connection that whenever they encountered disparity in their relationship (which was often), Eva would either attempt to flee, or they would engage in sex. As a matter of fact, the sexual encounters were so numerous, that those pages consumed most of the book. Much of the novel offered descriptions of engaging in sex at various locations….in the limo, at the hotel room, at Gideon’s lavish apartment, at a garden party, and at Eva and Cary’s residence; the author was quite skilled at describing the sexual encounters in explicit detail. Toward the end of the story, I was a little annoyed, however, that these two seemingly intelligent adults would only resort to sex in order to solve their problems of jealousy and misunderstanding in their relationship. I thought it was just too simplistic.
As I read the novel, I also wondered about the timeline in which all these events occurred. It seemed like the relationship developed so quickly, a bit too quickly for me to believe as plausible. If I recall the story correctly, the Krav Maga gym was being remodeled and was to reopen in two weeks when the story began. By the time the gym was back in operation, Eva and Gideon were already a volatile couple with extreme sexual attraction for each other, as well as a lot of psychological issues stemming from their childhood sexual abuse experiences. Eva was already professing her love to Gideon by saying the three big words in a relationship- ‘I love you.’ The timeline in this story seemed to move a little too quickly for me to accept as realistic, and in that way, I didn’t find it to be believable.
Otherwise, ‘Bared to You’ was entertaining and a quick read, especially for someone like myself who reads every blazing word on the page. ( )
  haymaai | Jun 22, 2014 |
Review Coming Soon ( )
  TheiBookEmporium | May 21, 2014 |

Nothing pisses me off faster than a terrible ending to what was pretty much an intriguing book. Day just ended this at the end of a chapter! Right after two new conflicts reveal themselves to the main characters! Ummm,,,,, hello! No HEA (which is fine w me as long as there is a resolution & good explanation of loose ends), no resolutions, no reveals, nothing!! Terrible, terrible, terrible! Shame on Day & her publisher for such a gross abuse of readers who spent 230 pages getting emotionally involved w Eva & Gideon's issues with no ending!! Sorry, just taking a shower & driving away in a limo for the night to avoid a confrontation w a major secondary character the heroine lives w is not an ending. Very disappointing! I will not be buying the second book, Day & publisher don't deserve it.

Although this book is better written than 50 Shades of Grey & deals with similar issues, I would not recommend it. The author ends the book without resolving a single one of the conflicts & issues!! The book just stops at the end of a chapter!

Christian Grey & Gideon do have alot in common, handsome, rich business men who like to stalk their lady loves, not to mention a shared history of childhood sexual abuse. I did like how the abused is handled, explained, & the emphasis on needing to get help to get better. I know/love so many adult survivors - it was definetly very realistic & I like how it was treated w dignity for such a terrible subject. I just hope he isn't magically "cured" like happens in a lot of books. Cuz I can tell you from experience that crap doesn't happen! Sexual abuse affects every part of their lives forever.

The more I reflected on the book though, it just made me more & more angry! It just left every loose end loose! So you have to buy the next book. It just quit @ the end of a chapter. No resolution for the Cary orgy, Cary's boyfriend, why Gideon's so effed up, why's his bro's a dick, how can 2 childhood sexual abuse survivors have a real relationship, etc!! Really pissed me off & I loved Gideon! I really felt for him & how much therapy he was gonna need before he got over/thru what happened to him.

Basically, if you want any type of closure or resolution to Eva & Gideon's story you have to buy the 2nd book in the series, because not a single thing is explained in book 1. Shame on Sylvia Day!! ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
This one is for Dr. David Allen Goodwin. My love and gratitude are boundless. Thank you, Dave. You saved my life.
We should head to a bar and celebrate.

Back Cover:

Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness-beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

Eva Trammel, plagued by her own insecurities, is drawn into an intense, obssessive relationship with the wealthy and arrogant Gideon Cross.

Sylvia Day is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,544,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible