The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery…

The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series, Book 1)

by Paul Moxham

I've had the pleasure of reading two of Paul Moxham's short story and although my previous one was much better ('Mystery of the Missing Gnomes') this was still a good, well-structured read. Very much reminding me of Secret Seven and Famous Five I didn't seem to warm to the children as much in this one, for whatever reason. I think I just found the Gnome mystery more likely for children to resolve. Still worth a read though :) ( )
  SmithSJ01 | May 11, 2014 |
I signed up to win this book because my kids love mysteries. The mystery part was good. My kids thought the language was too formal/proper. They've read older Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries which are 50 years old and had no complaints about the wording. But this is a British book and takes place in the 1950's so maybe that's why the language is so proper. But my daughter thought it was odd that when the kids were in trouble or scared that they spoke so formally. But still, the mystery aspect was good.

Book received from librarything.com. ( )
  Rena613 | Dec 11, 2013 |
It is wonderful to be once more able to read a good old-fashioned rollicking kids adventure story. Back in the 1950s, early 60s, kids had no electronic devices to entertain them, they made their own fun and often that meant entering a world of make-believe. Back then my friends and I would play for hours – cowboys and Indians (I was always the Indian and tied to a tree), cops and robbers (I was always the robber and tied to a tree), English soldiers and German soldiers (I was always the German and tied to a tree) – yes there IS a theme there! Kids back then could roam around all day and not have their parents go into melt down, and boy did we have fun. THE MYSTERY OF SMUGGLERS COVE brought back these memories. Picnics, long walks exploring every nook and cranny, and spying on big houses in case there were baddies doing bad things! A fast paced plot involving counterfeiters, smugglers, dark caves complete with a twist at the end. There were storms, fog and high tides. Lots of action and the e-pages were flicked non-stop as I raced to see what happened next – who was in danger – who was being rescued and would those nasty German shepherd’s really rip the children limb from limb? The only complaint I had was when the kids sat down for dinner and their mother gave them a lovely veggie burger – no way this would have happened then – fizzy drinks, bread and ham maybe but not a veggie burger!! (NB - the author contacted me to say he has updated this part of the book and the Veggie has gone - so if you download the book now - and I recommend you do - there will be a different dish) ( )
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
I found this book somewhat confusing, was the author trying to follow the path of Enid Blyton whose books I loved, especially the famous five series. Was the targets audience 7-10 year old children, but would they be interested in such an old fashioned story, which evoked a world of 1950's England.
Perhaps for grandparents to read with grandchildren, or even greatgrandparents who might be the only ones who could relate to the period in which they were purportedly written, including the language spoken by the children, and the risks taken.
They would be able to describe the freedom of the long summer days of their childhood, where wishful imaginings of catching criminals while exploring derelict old properties were part of the game, while being able to distinguish the realistic from the unrealistic.
In an era of granny farms, these books could increase understanding and contact between these generations.
So what if they are not terribly well written, Enid Blyton wasn't considered suitable reading by teacher's of English-language, but that doesn't mean that her books aren't fondly remembered. ( )
  dlga | Mar 22, 2013 |
I got this book as a Library Member Giveaway and was really looking forward to read it.

Unfortunately the book didn't reach my expectations. The plot kind of runs ahead, not giving you time to get used to the characters and the setting. The characters are not well developed and described. At the beginning the three siblings Joe, amy and Sarah are introduced, but most of the time you just get to hear about Joe and their new friend Will. I never understood, why the girls where even introduced. They do get a little attention near the end of the book though. But all in all the characters are rather flat, so I never really cared about them. I remember one situation, where joe is swimming in the ocean, not sure if he will get to the shore and everything looks as if he might drown. Then the chapter ends. Normally you would be crazy about how everything goes on. But since there was no connection at all between Joe and the reader (me) I didnt even care about what would happen to him. I think that's rather a pity.
Now and then, there were decisions or turns, where I wondered how stupid the characters are. They were thinking for ages about decisions that were quite logical to me.

In the end I can say, that there actually is a lot of potenial in this book, if the characters were better developed and described and the story wasn't that rushed. The way the book is written now, it feels to me as if the author rushed it.

I myself wouldn't recommend this book, but reading the other reviews here, who all seem positive about this book, I wonder if I just was the wrong reader for this book. Maybe it's really a book for the younger reader, but I can't say that here. Let everyone decide for him-/herself then. ( )
  LarraChersan | Jan 27, 2013 |

Paul Moxham is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,358,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible